Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ER Shaw barrels

Basic Member

Re: ER Shaw barrels

i understand that this is for a new biuld i'm doing and i was thinking of trying out a er shaw barrel but i dont know anyone around here who uses one on a comp gun is your .5 group with a shaw barrel or another maker i know i can do it with either my shilen or Mcgowen and i know not every barrel is the same (meaning i could get another Mcgowen and it may or may not shoot as good as the one i have now ) .just dont want to with a barrel that is only good for hunting accuracy not comp quality. from what i have read on here most are still in the break in stage and havent post many groups after that .

vertical tends to lend its self to seating pressure i found that out the last time i went to practice loaded up some 308's and i could feel the difference in seating pressure and it showed when i shot over my chrono. gonna start annealing my brass (lapua) before the next reloading and see if they get better if then i'm trashing the brass and buying some new replacements(lapua).picked up a lead sled last night to take the me factor out and see what they do at 300 versus me shooting prone which is how i shoot 99 percent of he time.

johnp034

I thought Lapua brass comes annealed?

JohnP

Basic Member

All new brass comes annealed it is just that some companies run it thru a polish cycle after wards and that takes the annealing color out of it.

Vertical can be causes by brass needing to be annealed and also load needing to be tweeked a bit.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

helotaxi

[img width=574 height=768]http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/5636/img0195rc.jpg[/img]
    [img width=574 height=768]http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/9669/img0197qw.jpg[/img]
    [img width=574 height=768]http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/1858/img0196lx.jpg[/img]
    [img width=574 height=768]http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/1652/img0198lk.jpg[/img]
    [img width=574 height=768]http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/8827/img0200vj.jpg[/img]
    [img width=574 height=768]http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/5430/img0199zg.jpg[/img]
    First 3 groups are at 100yds. Group 1 is exactly 1 mil below group 3 on the target. Group 1 measure 0.675" the other two were right at an inch. Had the wrong bag on the front rest so the first two groups shot (2&3) were a little squirrelly until the stock settled into the bag.

The last 3 groups were fired at 300yds. Same load. The Shoot'n'see group was fired first and measures 1.6". The other 2 are right at 2.7". In all of the groups that appear to have 6 shots in them, the upper left hand bullet is not mine in every case. The wind was whipping pretty good and swirling quite a bit on the range and the mirage was pretty bad as well. I'm confident that it is a reliable 1 MOA rifle or better probably to 500 yds with the load I was shooting here.

Load was a Nosler 155gn HPBT over 46.7gn of Varget in Lapua cases using a Win LR primer.

The barrel is an ER Shaw 20" drop in from Midway that I've had a little over a year. $139. Not counting the scope, I've got just over $1.2k in the rifle and that includes a $700 stock. The scope in the picture has been replaced with an SWFA SS 5-20x50 HD.

I got my ER Shaw barrel a couple weeks ago and from what I could see it had been hand lapped by Larry Potterfield himself ;D. It is the kit from Midway that comes with the barrel nut wrench and head space gauges for 200$. I got the varmint taper in .308 and the smoothness of the barrel is far superior than my 10fp .308 factory barrel. Today I shot it for the first time, the conditions were terrible about 39 degree's 20 mph winds and my hands were freezing, and I just wanted to get home. To add to the poor weather condition's I had a incident that really ticked me off, I had 10 rounds to test, 6 at 42gr Varget w/175 SMK and 4 at 42.5, well I had the rounds in one of those foam ammo holder's from factory win boxes in a certain order and the thing tipped over in my shooting bucket and dumped all the rounds mixing them up >. But any way the barrel is a keeper, I shot 2 touching at 50 yards to zero, adjusted scope a little and moved target back to 100, to my surprise remaining 8 shots went into a little over a 1 inch group, kind of 2 group's all horizontal spread. With more load development I am confident that this will be a sub 1/2 gun, on a calm day of course. I will report back with the first cleaning results tomorrow night and some pictures to go with it.

Rifle spec's

110 long action
    Shaw .308 Varmint barrel
    BVSS stock bedded with JB weld
    EGW 0 MOA rail bedded w/JB weld
    Tasco 10-40 target scope
    Weaver tactical ring's
    There really is an excuse for everything!

Well, I just got done cleaning the new Shaw and there was very little copper fouling in the barrel. I used the Sweet's 7.62 which removes copper very well, you soak a patch and run it back and forth for about 1 minute and if there is a lot of copper the patch will come out bright blueish green. There was very little color on the first patch so I soaked another patch with Sweet's and scrubbed the bore again. There was basically no blue on the patch so I ran 2 clean patches through and then scrubbed with kroil for 2 patch's and followed with the last clean patch and that was it.
    In this picture it shows the patches in order of cleaning regimen, take note that the Shaw patches are on the right side and the blue one on the right is from my 10fp factory barrel. I'm not trying to mock Savage here, the 10 fp is very accurate it just copper foul's really bad.

Savage factory barrel with Sweet's

First patch with Sweet's on Shaw barrel

Here's the crown fouled

Clean crown

Here's some pic's of the rifle

and last is shot's # 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 fired at 100 yard's with mixed charge's of 42 grain's and 42.5
    grain's of Varget. Next time I'll make sure my ammo is secured better and I'm just waiting for no wind. I think I'll try 42 again then work up higher. My 10fp likes 44 grain's with the 175 smk but we'll have to see.

break in is done.

seanhagerty

I think I am done with load development for my 260 Rem ER Shaw I got from the group buy here.

Here is a 600yard group from that measures just about 2.75"

I say get an ER Shaw barrel, as fast as you can.

Sean

Sshhh!!! let's keep it quiet, I won't have spending funds for a while. I will by a shaw or 3 again when I can and eventually I'll get a shilen select match to support Northlander just to say I have one 8). Great group Sean.

Basic Member

I got a good one too with my group buy .243. I had it cut down and re crowned to 22" and here is the first group I shot the last time at the range. Mine took a bit to get to shooting this well, but now after a little over 250 rounds It shoots fireform loads around 1/2" at 100yds and can do this if I do my part. I am now awaiting a 6.5 creedmoor magnum contour from shaw, and if it does this well I will be ecstatic! With the Gunshack group buy these barrels seem to be a fantastic bargain.

cooker900

120gr nosler ballistic tip
    46.3gr h4831sc
    wlp
    3 shots 100yards .598"
    260 rem
    savage 110LA
    22" 1n9
    [img width=573 height=768]http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy158/cooker300/260load.jpg[/img]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12