Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ER Shaw barrels

ER Shaw barrels

How is your barrel working for you? Are you happy with it.

Re: ER Shaw barrels

Loved my 264WM barrel from them, Sold it with about 500 rounds through it. Current owner has shot several hundred more rounds with no accuracy complaints.
    I also had a 22-250 barrel from them, that I am very happy with.
    Personally for smoothness, I think they are a bit better than a factory FP barrel.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

airaddict

I picked up one in the .224 group buy and so far its been really good. So far ive run about 100-120 rds thru it which was crap brass cased fmj ammo from the gunshow amd accuracy was pretty good. In the 1.5" range avg. I posted a few pics in the 224 thread so u can see a few of my better groups. Hopefully w some development after hunting season i can get it down to consistant under an inch at 100. Copper fouling was kinda bad to start w but eased up after the first 80 rds or so. Even after a long string which got the barrel very hot i put 10 rounds inside 2-3 inches or so at 100.

Brian

Basic Member

I don't have one on a Savage but I put one on my Ruger M77 MKII. It's a 338 Win. Mag. I have no complaints. Accuracy has been very good especially considering it's a heavy recoiling medium bore round. As long as I can hold on and do my part, I can get around .75moa.

Basic Member

My .223 24", 1/14" bbl. kit from midwayusa consistanly prints .400"-.650" @ 100...nothing for me to complain about.

Still waiting on the 6.5 group buy to come in but my AR-15 has an ER Shaw bull barrel on it. Here are a couple of 10 shot groups at 100 yards:

I'm pretty happy with this. If the 260 I ordered shoots this well I'll be a happy camper.

JCalhoun

I have one in .300 Savage that shoots Remington factory ammo into 1 inch at 150 yards.

Basic Member

I just received one in .243 from the group buy. I am still working on my load development hoping to get it really tuned in, but so far it is doing ok. I have shot a couple of sub 1/2" groups at 100yds, but they are not consistant. Almost every group I try willhave two shots either touching, or very, very close together, with a third shot spreading the group out. I am having trouble figuring out what is causing this. I bedded the action which helped but did not make the issue go away. I think I will be able to get it to shoot really well, but it is takign some work. It copper fouls very little. It did have a couple of rough spots I could feel when running a cleanign patch through it, but now with 100rds through it, the spots have smoothed out.

Basic Member

Teebird--I have had the same problem with more than one gun with the two close shots and one away from the other two. After studying my reloading processes, it was very noticable that I was having neck tension variances--I could feel the difference when seating the bullets. On one of the rifles-a factory varmint barrel in .223, I annealed the cases and afterwards, the seating tensions were noticably more uniform when I seated the bullets. The groups tightened up on that barrel. Just a thought.

That particular barrel has been removed and replaced with a new ER Shaw .223 AI from the group buy. So far, I've only gotten 40 rounds down the tube for breakin and fireforming. The loads were pretty iffy to say the least--LC brass 1X with Fed primers, 25 gr of old, old IMR 4895 (price tag said $3.00) and 55 gr FMJ Win bulk.--Not exactly target loads. Since breakin and fireforming were my goal, I only set up on the fifty yard targets. The last ten shots were fired with a little more precision and those ten went into a nice round group of less than 3/4". So, so far I'm very happy with my ER Shaw barrel.

Basic Member

I need to give an update my earlier post. All of the load work I had been doing was with A-maxes, bergers with RL17 powder, and this was giving not the most consistent results. This powder works fantastic in my .270 but apparently not so in the .243.
    Today, i loaded up 12 rounds using berger 105 VLD's and tryed out some H4350. I loaded up 4 groups of 3 rounds to work up to the max load and test for pressure and how good each charge grouped. I haven't even tampered with the seating depth, or fine tuned , and I shot all 12 shots in about five or six minutes. The first group with the lightest charge of 36grains measured .82, and the next three groups in a row measured less than .5. THis was using Federal Match primers and brand new, non fireed win brass. I will be loading up some more of the best two charge groups try one calm day this coming week. I am now completely and totally happy with this barrel, and have no doubt that with some fine tuning, it will do even better than this! I am a very happy customer! Here is a pic of today's groups.

Basic Member

Played with seating depth today with the Berger 105's and my Shaw .243 barrel. -.035 from the lands made the best group. here's a pic. Now with around 150 rounds down it, this barrel is starting to shoot really well.

TeeBirdhyzer I have Shaw 243 barrel that I bought used and the person I bought it from said it had less than 100 shots down the tube. So far I am really happy with it . My best group so far is 5 shots @ 100yds. in .094 CTC.

It seems to really like the 65 grain V-Max with Imr 4064. I hope to do some more load work before the weather gets too bad.

Basic Member

bythebook, that is very impressive grouping. What twist is yours? I am hoping to tweak mine a little more with the bergers and maybe make a 1-holer.

how well do these barrels clean up i meen are they pretty smooth lapped well? do they take much breaking in?

cooker900

my 6.5 cleans ups nice as far as break in i only have about 50 rounds through mine and shooting 1" groups

Basic Member

with 220 rounds down it, my .243 is cleaning up really well. It had a couple of "rough" spots you could feel with a patch, but they have smoothed out now. Almost zero Copper!

Basic Member

the price is very good on these barrels but i cannot seem to find what i want. do you all know if i could get a 9 twist .223?
    i would also like for it to be 20"but all i have seen of these barrels are 24or26. any thoughts?

thanks

Advertiser

Quote Originally Posted by jraney
    the price is very good on these barrels but i cannot seem to find what i want. do you all know if i could get a 9 twist .223?
    i would also like for it to be 20"but all i have seen of these barrels are 24or26. any thoughts?

thanks
    I have the 1-9 twist .223 in stock:

http://www.gunshack.com/groupbuy?product_id=64

Basic Member

well i looked at the E.R.shaw website and i think i may just send my action there that way they can biuld it, i figured i would have them do some other stuff also. that way i can maybe save some time or money by 1 stop shopping. But thanks for the information.

Basic Member

this barrel is a small shank right?

Advertiser

Quote Originally Posted by jraney
    this barrel is a small shank right?
    Yes, all of the barrels so far have been small shank. I am looking at getting a large shank group buy going.

Regards,
    Lance

Ring31

anyone know if they lap there barrels?

CJ in WY

For that price I doubt they are lapped. The 6.5-284 sporter that I bought is starting to clean up better after 40 or so. It shoots alright but smooth it aint.

Basic Member

how well do you think these barrels are for f class shooting 300-1000 yds i'm looking at there group buy for a 6br and i'm not sure the accuracy is good enough .i see some of the groups ya'll have put up but has anyone gotten them tighter when they broke the barrel in. right now with my shilen 308 i can get 10 shot groups in the .2-.5 range @ 100yds and .75-1.5 @ 300 yds .
    i'm just wondering if they are worth a try or hold out for a cbi or another shilen for a match barrel.not trying to down them or anything just want the most for my money (its gotten tight this year) .

seanhagerty

In my experience, if you can shoot a 0.5 inch group at a hundred and have a good load developed that doesn't have any vertical at distance, you will be fine for f class.

I can shoot 1/2 inch with my barrel easily.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast