Thread: first savage 110E

Team Savage

first savage 110E

Picked up a mint condition 110E in .270 for $200. Hardly looks shot, if a box . Now comes the question want a new stock, looking at boyds thumbhole,any thoughts..and i need to order a die set. I have only reloaded for pistol and .444 marlin so im new to non-straight wall rounds. is the deluxe rifle set plenty or need i order another die with it? what i have now is all Lee equipment. this will be a hunting and paper puncher in the off season.

Re: first savage 110E

The thumb holes are nice, a bit of areach for my short fingers though.
    As for the dies...
    If I remember correctly, the dlx kit is a seater, full length, and neck die. That is all the dies you NEED. If you are getting into paper much I recommend lee's factory crimp die; also good for rough handled hunting loads. But it isn't needed. You will need a trimmer, stick with Lee's; cheap & easy.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member

The Lee RGB dies are all you really need. I partial size using the full length die and get a custom fit in the chamber. The RGBs are only about $15.

ellobo

I use Lee dies on my Rockchucker press for many reloads, fom 45-70, 38-55 up through 300 W mag. Never a problem. I also have had three Boyds stocks and like them as well.

El Lobo

DonArkie

here's my 110E long action with Boyd Ross Thumbhole, wouldnt have anything else. best drop in after market stock . Mines be altered a bit, bedded and the barrel channel open up some to support a #4 Hart Barrel

Team Savage

thank you everone for your expert knowledge ordered the equipment today. DonArkie thats a sweet sweet piece and ellobo what is your 38-55 and how do you like it. Im a bit of a lever action fan and have been looking into a Marlin 1893.

ellobo

My .38-55 is a Winchester Hi-Wall that started life as a sporter. Someone rebarreled it with a 32 inch octogon to round heavy barrel chamberd in 38-55. It never was finished. Intereior of the barrel looked like it was poured in glass, it was that smooth. Obviously lapped. Still had the sporter stock with brass buttplate. It was in the junk rack at Rileys (Dick Riley was a NRA President some yrs back) in Hookset, NH. I got it for $250. Couldnt believe it. Stripped the action and had the whole thing reblued. Lousy trigger pull. After sight in I shot a three shot target near dark one night after work. 100 yards with my own cast bullets. 3 shot cloverleaf with a tang mounted peep sight I made myself and Redfield globe front sight. IMR4895, 255 grain gas check Lyman. I still want a .38-55 lever gun. Winchester made some about 20 yrs ago. The hi-wall has a makers mark on the barrel but I have never been able to find out who he was. Love that rifle. Wish I could afford a good schuetzen style stock and dble set trigger. I got it in 1985. I shoot schuetzen matches with it with its crummy sporter stock just for fun. Good luck on your quest for a .38-55

El Lobo.

Team Savage

i wont get any where near $200 for the one i would like. sounds like a real shoooter. Theres someone who rebarrels winchester amd marlins in 30-30 to .38-55 cant remember where i saw it. if i find it ill let you know. I do have a few more questions, how do i know if i have a short or long shank if i were to get another barrel. i would also like to get a 1 piece scope mount but im not sure if i have a flat, or round receiver. the front of the receiver is rounded and the back is flat. im trying to upload a photo but not sure how. thanks again.

ESSCEE

You have a flat receiver it refers to the flat spot on the rear of the action, newer actions are rounded on the rear and the front. as far as the barrel shank size here is a link to the FAQ of this sight verry informative with pics too.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...pic,513.0.html

Team Savage

awesome thank you very much

Team Savage

this is a lucky year. have the chance to get another 110 from the late 80's,i believe, super cheap. anyway its in .270 as well, was thinking of getting a another barrel (dont need 2 .270) in .338-06 or .280. i hope to be elk or mulie hunting in colorado next year. i would like to stay with the same bolt face and not get to crazy into it. any other thoughts are greatly appretiated

fyimo

As a guy who has hunted Elk for 29 years in Colorado I would say that having two rifles of the same caliber zeroed in with the same ammo is a big plus. I can't tell you how many times a guy in our group has taken a hard fall and knocked is scope off in bad weather and heavy snow and had to shift to a backup rifle. Having a rifle that shoots the same cartridge makes remembering the ballistic table and drop at various yardages is a lot easier.

Having said that a new build in a different caliber is always fun and it's your money. The 270 will kill Elk and has by me and others in our camp but a heavier harder hitting cartridge brings benefits and can cut the tracking distance down. Where we hunt long shots are usually rare and most shots are 100 yards or less for Elk but for Mule Deer the shots can be out to 250 yards so you want a cartridge that dosen't have a trajectory like a rainbow.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.