Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22 rifle accuracy... Bullet recomendations

Nandy

.22 rifle accuracy... Bullet recomendations

I have a 10/22 that I am setting for squirrel hunting this year. I took i out today and shot some amo and was very disappointed. I tried a 40 gr bullet that is target match quality (330 for $15.00) and I was having 3 inch groups at 50 yards. I tried the cci stinger on 30some gr and the group closed to 1.5 but that is not good in my opinion for popping a squirrel in the head at 50 yds... This is their carbine model with a synthetic stock. I have a simons scope on it mounted on "weaver see tru" rings. I set the scope last night using my fat tool and loctite so it is secure. The scope bottomed out so I am making he change to a leupold vxII I have.
    What amo do you guys recommend/use? im interested to hear, please let me know if you are using a similar gun.

Thanks!

Re: .22 rifle accuracy... Bullet recomendations

try wolf match? little spendy, but works very well for many.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

janizary

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger
    Agreed. It is my choice for 'affordable' accurate .22LR. I use it in all my savage MKIIs. And it worked well in my 10/22 before I sold her off to pay for another MKII

thomae

Although ammo companies like to use the word "target" on their .22 ammo, if it comes in a bulk pack of 330 (or any number) it is NOT target quality.

Bottom line is that different firearms like different ammo. Search this and other forums for "22 ammo accuracy" threads and you will see lots of suggestions.

Here is a good thread to review: http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,44609.0.html

Try a lot of different ammo brands and types. Typically the slower ammo (standard velocity, subsonic and match ammo) is more accurate, but that is not necessarily true for any one particular ammofirearm combination. I think that most agree on Eley 10X as being the current "ne plus ultra" .22 ammo, but at almost $20.00 per box of 50, it approaches the price of centerfire ammo. Probably not really worth it unless a) you won the lottery, or b) you are competitive in World Cup and Olympic events.

Even slow target and subsonic ammo will kill a squirrel dead, dead, dead at 50 yards. Find what works in your rifle, work on your accuracy until you can consistently make head shots, and then get out in the woods and show those tree rats the meaning of the phrase, "One shot, one kill."

All the best!

Last edited by thomae; 01-16-2013 at 12:21 AM. Reason: readability

Nandy

MiniMags and Stingers are working the best for now.. I still have not test enought but so far is good enough to hunt with it.

Conaso

I agree with Thomae... one shot one kill. No hyper-velocity round will match the accuracy of standard or sub-sonic. But every rifle is different, so test different ammo. I use Wolf MT and Fed510 in my TRR-SR and CZ453, respectively; each likes its own ammo. If I can't put 5 shots in .125 at 25yds or .3-.5 at 50yds, why bother (of course there are flyers). 100yds accuracy? I don't shoot squirrels at 100yds. I rather come home with two headshot squirrels (one shot each) than my limit with mostly gutshot or multiple-shot animals while losing 1-2 that crawled away wounded. I don't think much of someone using CCI Minimags and hitting a squirrel anywhere in the torso or head and blowing it in half. Why not use a .22-250? To me it's a sport, I'm not subsistence hunting. I know everyone has different funds but save for a good setup for whatever purpose. Don't expect a $150 Savage from Walmart with $10 rings and a $39 scope to perform like a $500-$700 package. I also hunt with a Remington 514, open sights, but I know the rifle's limitations.

wolf match, not the "match extra".

Be sure the action screws are tight too.

I found my "Remlin" model 925 likes Mini-Mags and CCI Blazer the best to date, shooting those into .6 to .8 at 50 yards. Winchester SuperX and Remington Subsonic was a waste of money, they patterned, not grouped. Each rifle is an enigma so you will have to try all brands to see what shoots the best in your rifle.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

My 10/22 that i reworked shoots CCI Velociter ammo into a dime at 50 all day long and does a great job at stopping those pesky tree rats.

redbonesrock

I think the problem may be your rings.....this puts the scope way too far above the centerline of the barrel to achieve the best accuracy. I have never had a problem shooting 1/2 inch groups with any .22 I have owned at 50 yds, including a crappy Remington semi-auto that was wrapped in plastic. I currently use CCI short hollow-pts for all my squirrel hunting and never have any problem making head shots out to 50 yds. The low noise of the shorts allows me to shoot several squirrels without spooking all of them and is plenty strong enough for squirrels. Of course this is on an older model Remington that would shoot short/long/long rifle. Most of the newer guns on shoot long-rifle ammo for some reason. Not sure what that is all about.

In my 10/22 I shoot CCI mini-mag hollow/pts and they are very accurate with the small scope I have on it 4 x 32 compact I think it is.

Basic Member

In my custom 10/22 the only 2 ammo's it will shot 1/2 inch and less groups at 50 yard is Aguillia (parden my spelling) and federal auto match. Believe me I tried every brand out there!!!
    Retired sniper. You can run, But you will only die tired!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger
    Usually VERY accurate but velocities are in the subsonic range. I get excellent accuracy in my Marlin 925 out to 75 yards but the Wolf clocked 940 fps on my chronograph (10 rounds). At best it's a 50 yard load on squirrels.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Ramdiesel

Dug up this target shot at 46 yards with a Sako quad 22 factory barrel. It clearly likes Lapua center x ammo @ 12.50 a box (what luck) I think the SK ammo is half that a box. I now hunt with the 17 Mach 2 it’s the perfect round. I had to buy a Concentricity Gauge the 17 cal. ammo is awful some of it is .18 thousand out of round. It just wobbles when you spin it. I have an older 10/22 a guy at work had. It shot so bad that he gave it too me. It looked like it had never been cleaned so I put a Kidd barrel on it and replaced the stock took it to the range. The factory trigger pull was so bad I haven’t shot it since. I’ll replace the trigger sometime just too many irons in the fire at the moment.

Basic Member

Hey ramdiesel PM "bythebook" he can tell you what to do to your factory trigger for about $40.00 to make it just pretty sweet, He did mine and my brothers and wow!!! ;D

Pector55

I'm in the same group as though who find guns to make their ammo choices, and it's up to us to figure out what that is. The .22LR I set up for my son does not do well with any of the more expensive stuff. I guess it's a good 'ole wine-from-a-box type that shoots solid groups with Remington Gold. Oddly enough, our SIG Mosquito will only cycle that ammo as well. The stuff also works like a champ in my GSG-5pk SBS.

Lucky for me since that's cheap.. and effective.

Luckus

CCI standard velocity works well in my 77-22.

tucker301

cgeorgemo

The big box of Winchester XpertHV from WalMart was shooting lights out in my 10/22 at the range today.

Basic Member
    CCI Blazer shoots 1" groups at 100Y typically on most days from my Savage. Eley Tenex or CCI Green Tag is most accurate.

Basic Member
    try some CCI Standard Velocity. It outshoots most anything under $10/box in my Savage MKII and 10/22. Shot many, many sub 1/4" groups at 50yds with the Savage and quite few with the 10/22 with it. Usually about $30/brick or so.

Basic Member
    My 10-22 target likes the federal auto match and the Centurion's will not shoot anything else. These are shooting under half inch at fifty yards.

I had very good results with Rem 40 grain Standard Velocity long rifle indoor at 50 feet and outdoor at 50 yards all x ring with my Win 52 D, there is a all kinds of parts available the 10/22 it's the switch barrel everything you would want to use.

Basic Member
    My 10/22 prefers theb winchester powerpoint load, looks like their regular hollow point round butt has PP in the part number, has a lot of bearing surface for the rifling. For shorter shots it also really likes the Aguila sniper sub sonic, very heavy bullet and kinda slow but very deadly on rabbits.

Mike

Basic Member
    Aguila superextra.. should be about 4 bucks a box.. usually as good as wolf match out of my rifles.

Basic Member
    My 10/22T (target) like the cci mini mags but I find it is more accurate with sub-sonic rounds. My spot for ground squirrels is quite open so I have to take a lot of long shots. I feel a little more comfortable at the 100+ yards shots with the extera speed of the cci mini mags. I use sub sonic stuff when I need to head shot bunnys at my friends ranch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast