Thread: Bolt race and bolt shroud diameter

mtang45

Bolt race and bolt shroud diameter

I am putting a custom Savage rifle together from parts and the bolt seems way too small. The bolt handle will rattle and bounce when uncocked and closed. If nothing else its irritating. Measuring the race the best I can with calipers, I get .704 and the bolt measures .694. I would like to get a replacement bolt body from PTG (or any place else recommended here) . Is it necessary to ream the bolt race to make sure its round? And how much under the race diameter should the bolt be? If the bolt race needs to be reemed who would everyone reccommend to do that?

Thanks!

ESSCEE

Re: Bolt race and bolt shroud diameter

if you are just trying to stop bolt handle rattle try tightning the BAS. It it is tight I don't think the bolt handle will rattle or bounce. I know nothing about bolt races so hopefully someone who does will chime in shortly.

mtang45

Quote Originally Posted by ESSCEE
    if you are just trying to stop bolt handle rattle try tightning the BAS. It it is tight I don't think the bolt handle will rattle or bounce. I know nothing about bolt races so hopefully someone who does will chime in shortly.
    Please forgive me but whats the BAS? I think it rattles because there is so much slop in the fit between the bolt body and the bolt race.

ESSCEE

sorry the Bolt Assembly Screw its the big slotted or hex screw at the rear of the bolt if you close the bolt then try to turn this screw it should not turn if its tight. If the whole bolt body included is rattling and jumping this will not help you.

stangfish

Quote Originally Posted by mtang45
    I am putting a custom Savage rifle together from parts and the bolt seems way too small. The bolt handle will rattle and bounce when uncocked and closed. If nothing else its irritating. Measuring the race the best I can with calipers, I get .704 and the bolt measures .694. I would like to get a replacement bolt body from PTG (or any place else recommended here) . Is it necessary to ream the bolt race to make sure its round? And how much under the race diameter should the bolt be? If the bolt race needs to be reemed who would everyone reccommend to do that?

Thanks!
    Its not a remington. ;D

mtang45

Quote Originally Posted by stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by mtang45

Thanks!
    Its not a remington. ;D
    ;D THANK GOD!!

chakup

If I remember right PTG will grind to size so perhpas order a 702-703 bolt?

mtang45

Quote Originally Posted by chakup
    If I remember right PTG will grind to size so perhpas order a 702-703 bolt?
    Yeah, I was thinking along those lines but wanted to make sure my measurements were correct before buying from PTG.

Basic Member

All that slop won't hurt anything. It only feels that way when there is no round in the chamber. You could spend alot of money for peace of mind, but accuracy wise you will gain nothing.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

mtang45

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter
    All that slop won't hurt anything. It only feels that way when there is no round in the chamber. You could spend alot of money for peace of mind, but accuracy wise you will gain nothing.
    Its just that this Savage is sooo much looser than any of my others and it really bugs me. Who else make custom size bolt bodies?

bamf_shadow

The PTG is top notch. You need an ID micrometer to measure the action, calipers can't do an ID on a round surface. Then go .002" smaller on the body size. I went .001" and ended up with drag so I had them turn it down some more and ended up with .003". Again there is no change in function, it just feels more solid when working the bolt.

gotcha

Mtang, What are comparable measurements on your other Savages? Just measured my mod.12 SS & bolt head measured .992"..... Bolt body @ rear meas. .692" and this is a smooth operating action. Perhaps a swap of bolt head or front baffle ( mine meas. .994"-.995") might reduce the slop ? Can't get an accurate meas. on my bolt race depth w/ my meas. toys. .............. Or, you could smoosh a Hershey bar in bolt race. That'd tighten it up ;D

mtang45

Quote Originally Posted by gotcha
    Mtang, What are comparable measurements on your other Savages? Just measured my mod.12 SS & bolt head measured .992"..... Bolt body @ rear meas. .692" and this is a smooth operating action. Perhaps a swap of bolt head or front baffle ( mine meas. .994"-.995") might reduce the slop ? Can't get an accurate meas. on my bolt race depth w/ my meas. toys. .............. Or, you could smoosh a Hershey bar in bolt race. That'd tighten it up ;D
    Well, don't laugh at my methods, but... I wrapped tape, one layer at a time, until the bolt would not go into the receiver. I kept repeating until I got the perfect amount of tape to allow the bolt to easily slide in and operate with little or no "wiggle". The bolt and tape measured .704"

My intent was to get an estimate of the size required to fit snug. Now I just need to find someone with the proper tools to get a precise measurement.

I'll check another one and report the results

Just leave the tape on it. ;D
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

mtang45

Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder
    Just leave the tape on it. ;D

A little duct tape will fix anything! ;D

gotcha

What was that old saying about.......necessity being the mother of invention? This brings to mind all the bugle blowing about CNC controlled machining. I think we might get better results when experienced humans do the work. You can't program work ethics................. The gradual build up w/ tape didn't occur to me. Good show :)