Thread: Stevens 200 to 458 WinMag

tatwell

Stevens 200 to 458 WinMag

Hello to all. I'm new here, this is my first post, and I've enjoyed reading through some of the threads-lots of good info here. I found this forum while searching for some info on re-barreling a 110 or Stevens 200 to 458 win mag. I think I have a good idea as to what's involved. I found a 200 in 7mm Rem Mag for a cheap price, and I think I am going to get it and change it over to a 458. I've owned two 458's over the years and have always regretted selling them. I know that the bolt is correct, the only thing I wonder about is whether or not any changes to the magazine well might have to be done. I suspect that it won't, but if anyone has information on this I would appreciate it. I did some searches here, and did find a few posts concerning the feed after conversion, but didn't find that a solution was reached. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Basic Member

Re: Stevens 200 to 458 WinMag

The .458 magazine is different from the others as it is tapered and has no shoulder bumps. It was only made in stagger feed, and a magnum follower has to be modified to fit.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member

When I put mine together I tried using a regular magnum mag box and follower but I just couldn't get it to work right, no matter how much I tweaked it. I'm sure someone with more expirience could make it work but I ended up just buying the correct box and follower. I bought them both from midway I believe. The follower was hard to locate but they did have one. I'll see if I can find the numbers for them. I don't know what you're gonna use for a stock but I recommend adding some weight to the butt and installing a good recoil pad.
    &quot;Michigan&#39;s DNR system is the biggest threat to it&#39;s whitetail herd&quot;<br />&quot; Forget Smith and Wesson, our house is protected by Holland and Holland&quot;

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/476...tainless-steel

Special order item now......maybe can order it from Savage? Got mine a long time ago.

You will have to modify a follower to make it work with this magazine as was already stated.

Expensive, but I found it much easier than trying to get an existing mag to work.

Basic Member

Just checked, Brownells has the 458 mag box in stock. Midway has the CORRECT follower for the 458 mag box, no altering necessary, product number 779347, savage part number 103200. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/779347/savage-arms-magazine-follower-assembly-458-winchester-magnum
    &quot;Michigan&#39;s DNR system is the biggest threat to it&#39;s whitetail herd&quot;<br />&quot; Forget Smith and Wesson, our house is protected by Holland and Holland&quot;

Basic Member

Here is my 458. ER Shaw barrel, 110 reciever. Found the stock on ebay, near as I can figure it is for a 116 safari model. Pachmyer decelerator pad. This stock has no weight in the butt so the gun is a bit front heavy right now. With full power 500gn loads you know when it goes off. I load 405gn remington jacketed bullets over 21 grains of trail boss for a very mild plinking load, real pleasant to shoot.

tatwell

Thanks guys for all of the good info. I appreciate it. If I do this project I am going to add a recoil reducer, although with my previous 458's I usually shot what would be considered to be hot 45/70 loads. I felt that it was better to load the 458 down rather than load the 45/70 up. Based on the price of the parts for this project it sure looks like the most cost effective way to have another 458. Thanks again guys, I'll update with my progress.

tatwell

I found the follower at Midway using the info provided, also checked Brownells and found the mag box. Just so I am not confused, these parts will fit the Savage 200? thanks and sorry to ask such a simple question.

Eric in NC

Quote Originally Posted by tatwell
    I found the follower at Midway using the info provided, also checked Brownells and found the mag box. Just so I am not confused, these parts will fit the Savage 200? thanks and sorry to ask such a simple question.
    They will fit a Stevens 200 but I think you may have to modify the action a little bit to take advantage of the extra length. Not sure on that one.

Even easier if you want to do 45-70 loads would be a 458x2" or a 450 marlin.

Basic Member

They will fit the stevens 200 and you won't have to modify the reciever as long as it's a long action. Max c.o.l. for .458 win is 3.340, same as 270 win, 30-06, 300 win mag, etc.

Basic Member

Ok, I see you are using a rifle in 7mm rem mag to start with. All you need is a barrel, mag box, and follower, the bolt head is the same.

Eric in NC

Quote Originally Posted by BradB
    They will fit the stevens 200 and you won't have to modify the reciever as long as it's a long action. Max c.o.l. for .458 win is 3.340, same as 270 win, 30-06, 300 win mag, etc.
    My bad - brain fart. Was thinking "full length magnum" like 375 H&H or 458 Lott.

tatwell

Many thanks guys. I think I'm clear on the parts questions. I am going to use the synthetic stock-for now anyway-that is currently on the rifle, so I imagine-although I haven't checked-that the ER shaw 458 barrel is going to be a heavier contour than the 7 mag barrel that's on it now, so some barrel channel work may be needed. I hope to have everything I need by early next week, so I'll hopefully have a progress report soon. Thanks again for all the help.