Thread: Savage-barrels.com

flatshooter

Savage-barrels.com

I 'm looking at a 1:7 twist for my .243 winchester. What caliber will beat it at long range, say 300yds or more like 500 yds. Would it be wise to go to a better caliber such as 6mm BR, or 6mm-284? Right now I have a 1:10 douglass extra heavy bull. It shoots inch and a quarter at 300 with a 87 v-max.

Savage- barrels.com.... how is the quality?

fullersson

Re: Savage-barrels.com

I've shot both the .243 and the 6br. I personally prefer the br out to 600 yards. The br (IMO) gives better accuracy and better barrel life. The better accuracy is an opinion the better barrel life is a fact. As far as barrels go I'm a Krieger man. 1 1/4" at 300 yards is pretty good shooting why are thinking of changing? Brian Brown.

82boy

I would be the first to talk you out of a 1 in 7 twist on a 6mm, it is just overkill, and will limit your bullet selection. A 1 in 8 is all that is needed, they will stabilize the 105-108 bullets just fine, and many will stabilize the 115's as well. The recameneded twist for the 115 is 1 in 7.5, and this is what some people get in cut rifled barrels. I never found that a 115 had any advantage over a 105-108 bullet.

Nothing wrong with a 243 win, I would just prefer a 6mm Br. I would prefer the 6x47 Lapua but with brass cost at what it is I would not recamend it. The 6 Dashers are VERY popular, but the brass work is highly intensive. I would look at the 6 xc, or the 6 international, with thier lower brass cost. 6-284 is a great caliber but it is a bit overbore, and it will take a toll on barrel life.

Savagebarrels.com do not make any barrels, thay are a retail seller of McGowan barrels.

flatshooter

Ok, so Mcgowen is what they sell. I had a Mcgowen, good barrel, only I got a 1:12. Mistake for long range. Ya live ya learn. Guess I'll go with a 1:8 .243 win.

flatshooter

Quote Originally Posted by fullersson
    I've shot both the .243 and the 6br. I personally prefer the br out to 600 yards. The br (IMO) gives better accuracy and better barrel life. The better accuracy is an opinion the better barrel life is a fact. As far as barrels go I'm a Krieger man. 1 1/4" at 300 yards is pretty good shooting why are thinking of changing? Brian Brown.
    Could I do better than 1 1/4" at 300? I would like to use 107 MK's.

fullersson

Anything under 1/2 MOA is good shooting. Now I'm not talking about shortrange benchrest, but neither are you or you wouldn't be shooting a .243win. I have yet to see a consistent 1/4 MOA gun. Like I said I'm not talking about short range benchrest. Without a lot of hard work you will not do much better than 1 1/4" consistently at 300 yards. All this is just my opinion and I'm not insulting you or your shooting I'm just saying that 1 1/4" consistent groups at 300 yards is good shooting. Brian Brown.

flatshooter

I have yet to see a consistent 1/4 MOA gun
    Even a fully worked one?

I just found out that Sierra makes a 95 grain MK. Wonder how it will work in a 1:10?

Basic Member

hey flatshooter, i have a savage barrels.com .243 bull barrel. i used it all of the 2011 season at williamsport shooting 1000 yards. it worked like a champ , alot of 14" groups alot of 12" groups but one 6.625" group i'll never forget. using 105 a-max and 42gr. of h-4350 .020 off the lands worked the best.i just got a new 6.5 creedmoor barrel from them, thats next years gun.140gr. a-max with 39.2gr. of varget. good luck MARK25-06

Basic Member

sorry 1 in 8 MARK25-06

flatshooter

good info Mark.... thanks.

fullersson

Not even a fully worked one. Don't get me wrong a fully worked anything is going to give you better consistentcy but I've yet to see a long range gun that would shoot 1/4 MOA consistently. Brian Brown.

helotaxi

Quote Originally Posted by fullersson
    but I've yet to see a long range gun that would shoot 1/4 MOA consistently.
    The environment, not the gun is the issue as the range starts to increase.

fullersson

I agree the environment is usually more the problem than the gun. Brian Brown.

flatshooter

yeah the enviroment will effect the bullet. Wind for one thing.

helotaxi

Wind is the only one that can't be completely accounted for.