Thread: Bolt Head swap CRF and Push feed

AJ Peacock

Bolt Head swap CRF and Push feed

Hi all, I've been away from the site for a LONG time. I tried searching and couldn't find my answer.

I have a 300WSM large shank action that I turned into a 338Edge 3 years ago. So far, so good.

Now I want to put a 'plinking' barrel on it, so I can get a bunch of trigger time.

I'm thinking a 223 or something like that. (I don't mind treating it as a single shot).

My question, the current Mag bolt head is CRF (without an ejector in the head).

Do they make CRF bolt heads for all the smaller cartridges? If so, I am looking in the wrong places.

If not, what do I need to do/swap etc. to use a "plinker" barrel. I don't want to mess up the current ejector, as I'll be using this as a 300WSM and 338Edge in the future, I just want to get a bunch of trigger time for less $$'s

Thanks,
    AJ

Re: Bolt Head swap CRF and Push feed

Nope, CRF is only a magnum item. For the smaller bolt heads you'll need to remove the standing ejector to use the push feed bolt heads.

You'll also need a regular short action firing ping assembly, they are different than your short action magnum firing pin assembly.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

AJ Peacock

Thanks,

I've never removed/replaced the standing ejector. Is there anything to worry about in that process?

Thanks,
    AJ

No, it's easy. It's held in by the trigger retaining pin. Pull the pin out, tip the trigger assembly out of the way, then remove the standing ejector.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar