Thread: Bought A New Rifle Tonight

fyimo

Bought A New Rifle Tonight

I won on GB a Savage Model 14 Stainless in 308 and hopefully next week it will arrive. I have a Sig Sauer Model 202 in 308 and the comparison should be interesting. I always like to have two rifles in the same caliber zeroed for the same round on a hunt. That way a bad fall with one just means a switch over to the other. ;D

DGNY

Re: Bought A New Rifle Tonight

Good planning! We would be glad to hear of any range results and commentary on your new Savage.

Regards,

Dyson

hawkeye10

:) Hey Art when you get your rifle we would like a photo. You do such a good job with that. Don

PS If you have not seen Arts photography work you are in for a treat.

pictures please! let us know how that works for you i have seen a few of those rifles on gunbroker and they are sharp

gunstock

I bought the 14 american classic stainless in 308 caliber and tried about 5 different bullets. At first used Remington 150 and 180 grain. They did not group very well. Federal premium 165 sierra game-king also not to good. 2 inch group at 100 yrds. The Winchester Supreme 168 grain ballistic silvertip shot better, about 1.5 inch group. I then tried Barnes Vor-tx 168 grain and my gun loves them. It will shoot .5 inch groups all day long and has since April when I got the gun.

fyimo

I'm going on a 5 day Deer hunt this Monday and these are the two rifles I'm taking. I will use the Savage Model 14 first and then after taking my first Deer I will use the H&R 300 Ultra Rifle in 243 ;D
    This isn't the greatest picture but here the Savage Model 14 in 308 is

Here's a H&R 300 Ultra Rifle in 243 made in the 70's with a Sako L579 action.

ellobo

Great looking rifles. Did you replace the stock on the H&R? If so, where did you get it?

El Lobo

fyimo

The stock you see on the H&R is what all the 300 Ultra rifles came with and people either love them ot hate them. I happen to really like them and I've been lucky over the years and have bought 5 of the 300 Ultra Rifles and a 301 Ultra Rifle which is the full mannlicher stock version and mines a 25-06. I love them and everyone of them has been an accurate shooter. My 243 has the Sako 579 action and all the others are the commercial Belgium FN Mauser action.

ellobo

I have a rifle built on a commercial FN Mauser action, custom rig with gold and silver inlays. I got it for $75 with a K6 weaver scope. It ws in the white, never got finished as the gunsmith that made it died. 7x57. I browned it and stocked it and it is sub MOA Love those Mauser actions except for the standard Mauser safety.

El Lobo

got a older 114 classic lets say 2005. sure looks like your 308 got a better hunk of wood

fyimo

I took the Model 14 in 308 to the range yesterday to zero it in for my deer hunt and I was shooting a 150 grain Hornaday SST reload at 2825 FPS and the gun was grouping right around 3/4 of and inch at a 100 yards so I was very happy. The H&R 300 ultra rifle in 243 also shot into about 3/4 of and inch with 4 shots going through two elongated holes.

fyimo

I went on my 4 day deer hunt and shot two nice does and each was a one shot kill with neither going one step after being hit so I guess I love the rifle and my reload.

Quote Originally Posted by ellobo
    I have a rifle built on a commercial FN Mauser action, custom rig with gold and silver inlays. I got it for $75 with a K6 weaver scope. It ws in the white, never got finished as the gunsmith that made it died. 7x57. I browned it and stocked it and it is sub MOA Love those Mauser actions except for the standard Mauser safety.

El Lobo
    +1, my Parker Hale heavy barrel 308 is built on a Czech Mauser action.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67