Hello,

I just purchased my first savage rifle. Its the 12FV in .22-250. I have been into hunting and shooting all my life and Ive always been a remington and weatherby guy. over the last year ive taken an intrest in long range hunting and shooting. I recently purchased a Mod. 700 SPS in .300WSM that Im building into a 1000 yard gun. Ive heard so many good things about the new savage rifles and the how good the accuracy is. So I found myself wanting to build a new long range varmit/coyote rifle in .22-250. I looked at just about every brand on the market and I came back to the Remington and the Savage. I really liked the Mod.700 VLS, but I wanted to give the savage platform a chance. I looked at the 12BVSS and the 12VLP and almost bought the 12VLP, but this was going to be a hunting rifle as well as a bench gun and the shiny stainless steel action/barrell was a big negative mark for me in both these models, but they are both truely beautiful guns to look at. I wanted the savage platform, and I wanted a 26" blued heavy barrell so my only option was the 12FV. Ive looked at these in the shop several times and my main complaint about the 12FV was the very cheap stock/flimsy stock. So I will be changing the stock out with a B&C Medalist Tac/Varmit as soon as I get the gun in my hands and confirm the measurments on the spacing between the bolts on the bottom so I know which model to get as noted on the "Stocky's" website. I think with the new/better stock this gun will work great for what I want it for in both hunting and punching paper. I do my own reloading and I'll be working on a load for it. Im going to try the load that I use in my browning just to see how well it shoots since I already have alot of these made up. Now I have a few questions for the members on here.
1.) Is there a certain Scope base that seems to work well/better on the savage action? I already have a set of burris Xtreme tactical heavy rings that I plan to use.
2.) Opinions on the basic 12FV?
3.) Any other modifications that need to be made on this rifle to help with accuracy? Im looking to get at least 1/2" 5 shot groups at 100 yds and hopefully a little closer to 1/4" with the upgraded stock and a good handload......is this within reason for the rifle?

Any and all opinions are appreciated.

Thanks,