Thread: Anneal first then size it, or...?

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

Anneal first then size it, or...?

Are you supposed to anneal the brass first, then size it or does it not really make a difference? I started annealing my brass about 4 or 5 months ago. I get more use out of it and, it seems to help with consistancy as well. I noticed a bit of distortion when I annealed freshly sized / cleaned brass. Distortion, such as I notice a bit of wobble in the bullet when I roll it across the bench top. This occured in about 2 or 3 rounds out of 10. When I anneal before sizing / cleaning, I notice very few, if any that distort. Additionally, when I annealed after sizing, I got a few cases that are hard to chamber and there's noticeable marks on the case where it's rubbing on the chamber when cycled. Certainly this would affect accuacy, I would think. Considering the info I just gave, one would expect it's best to anneal then size & clean & load then, shoot. I was wanting to hear from some of you folks on your standard operating procedure with reloading / annealing. Since I'm a little "green" on reloading as I am still developing my SOP for reloading & annealing.
    Other Info: Cases discussed - .270 win & 30-06
    Method of annealing - propane torch & battery drill with socket
    Length of time reloading - 1.5 years
    Severity of addiction to reloading - very severe
    Severity of addiction to Savage firearms - hopeless
    Have a safe & Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Re: Anneal first then size it, or...?

Always anneal your cases first before you do any prep work to the case such as trimming neck sizing or full length resizing. I like to adjust the primer decaper pin down as far as I can and only push out the primer, polish the case nice and clean and then anneal. I'm a water dunker so it;s nice to have the primer removed to help get the cases dry.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Dan
    There really is an excuse for everything!

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

Re: Anneal first then size it, or...?

Thank you for your response, Dan. I agree. I like to bump the primer out to let the cooling water in & out when annealing. I suppose it makes good sense to anneal first, then size & clean as I can't help think the intense heat will cause some distortion, even if minimal. Additionally, the experience I had when I found a bag of clean sized brass marked 4X (used 4 times) in the bottom of my brass box. I automatically set up to anneal it & ended up causing a few to distort to where I really don't think I'm going to fire them & expect any kind of accuracy.

Just curious how the pros do it so I can gage my own work.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!