Thread: Why the limited selection on Savage stocks?

mugsie

Why the limited selection on Savage stocks?

Savage is a popular rifle. It shoots as well as and in a lot of cases, better than it's competition, right out of the box. Do a little work on bedding the actions, and it's a world class rifle. Additionally, Savages are easy to work on, the barrel nut makes us nuts behind the trigger very happy, giving us the ability to swap barrels virtually at will. All this is great, however there seems to be a dirth of Savage stocks available.

Sure, I can get Stockys, or Boyds, McMillan, B&C etc, but the vast majority are for blind magazines. Savage is moving towards DBM's, and so they should because of the future options we'll have in modifying still one more item. It doesn't seem as though the manufacturers are accomidating us in options for DBM's. Unless one converts to an internal box, the selections are limited.

I realize that with enough money, I can have any manufacturer make any configuration, but I shouldn't have to. For instance, Boyds offers some excellent laminate stocks. I would match them up against a "high end" stock any day. Yet they don't offer a wide range of models in DBM. Why is that? Other than contacting the various manufacturers, and speaking with them about these offerings, which I have done, why the limited selection?

Any ideas what we as users can do to become effective in having more options put on the table?

Basic Member

Re: Why the limited selection on Savage stocks?

Same reason you don't see many left handed actions, or stocks. Not much demand for them. When demand goes up, supply goes. If there isn't much demand for the item, then there won't be much supply for it. In that case, you would have to get the stock custom made. Hopefully, you're not left handed then your options for stocks really drop.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

jerkin

I'm in the same boat, I bought a 110 with an accutrigger and blind magazine last year. I want a camo stock with the dbm but can't find one anywhere. I don't really want one of the kits they make for the dbm because I don't like how they stick out from the stock so I had to buy the factory parts and have the stock dipped. I'm now going to be into $650 for the gun I wanted but couldn't buy and will still have a factory stock.

I hear that the factory stocks are ok if you do a little work on them but I've never done anything like that before and don't really want to try it myself and mess something up. What I'd really like is to find someone local that knows how to do it and could show me then I'd have the knowledge for my next Savage but I don't know anyone around here. Would have been a lot easier to just buy the stock I wanted, lol.

Basic Member

LOL ya! be glad your not a lefty! I am and its like here are your 4 options! Better than nothing though.
    Henry.

mugsie

I too am a lefty! Fortunately for me, I shoot right handed. Still doesn't make the choices any better though!

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

I feel better now that I'm not the only one that looks at catalogs trying to find stocks for my 110 rifles and coming up blank. It seems all the really cool stuff is available for the short actions & Remingtons. I'd really like to get a nice light tactical stock & set up a detachable mag but it looks like I'll need to do a little extra machining and altering, more importantly, I'll need to take out a mortgage to buy the stuff I need. I didn't pay that much for the rifle to begin with.
    My .270 is a pawn shop special I got for $185 (if I remember correctly).

Oh well, I'll have to wait till I can convince my wife to let me get one of the new 338 Lapua mag Precision Hunter (I think) rifles...
    I said I would die if I didn't get one real soon. She said her & the kids will miss me.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!