Thread: Misfires?

Son of the Gael

Misfires?

Rifle in question is a pre-Accutrigger Savage 110 long action .308 Winchester which I bought new about 12 years ago. Last week at the range a round failed to go off on the first strike, I waited a while to make sure it wasn't a hangfire, then ejected - the primer had a reasonable dent. I tried it again, it fired and the bullet landed where it should, the rifle fired several more rounds without issue.

Here's the history, this is the third time over the years and several hundred rounds that I've had this happen. First time the round wouldn't go off after multiple hits, I put it off as a bad primer, stuff happens; no more problems for a few years. Second time it went off on the second hit, I began paying very close attention to how well the primers were seated and that the pocket was clean; no more problems for a few years. Now this.

All of the rounds which misfired were reloaded with CCI BR2 primers, the rumor has always been that CCI uses a thicker or harder cup but I don't know that this is correct, regardless I think the rifle should function with any round.

I dismantled the bolt to look for burrs,crud, etc, the only thing I found was a bit of grit but really not much. I've cleaned it all up.

What else should I do? I see that Wolff makes extra power springs, should I change mine out?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Basic Member

Re: Misfires?

I doubt its the spring, Savage has more than enough spring already. Whats your firing pin protrusion?

Son of the Gael

Protrusion is .051 as best I can measure it. Would have been easier if it were a .223 bolt head.

After posting the original question I read the thread about putting in a lighter spring, interesting to have two opposite questions at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Son of the Gael
    Protrusion is .051 as best I can measure it. Would have been easier if it were a .223 bolt head.

After posting the original question I read the thread about putting in a lighter spring, interesting to have two opposite questions at the same time.
    I don't believe there is a lighter spring on the market even from Wolf, would be nice if there was.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

82boy

Did you try a diferent lot number of primers? You may have a bad lot. Try a diferent brand of primers as well.
    What you are reading about the primer cup being harder mostly deals with pistol primers. The CCI br2 primers are a benchrest primer, and have a soft cup. The CCI magnum primers have a harder cup.
    When seating your primers are you seating them all the way down, against the anvil? If not the firing pin is spending some of its travel and momentum seating the primer. Are you unifrming, and cleaning out your primer pockets after each laoding?

What ever you do don't buy a heavier spring, the factory savage spring has plenty of power and is over kill for the application to start with, going to a heavier spring will only cause different problems. (Such as a heavier bolt lift, and possible harmonics applied, just to name 2.)

Team Savage

Forget the "spring thing". We've already gone through that. What about the brass? Fireformed to "that" chamber?
    Maybe the shoulder was pushed back a little more than others? Firing pin pushes the case forward in the chamber and can't get hit as hard as needed? Been there, done that. :-[ Maybe primers but not likely one out of a batch. Been there too.
    Double check "that" piece of brass. Remove primer and "smack" it with a hammer. That way you'll know for sure.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Son of the Gael

Patrick,

Thanks for the replies. Yes, the primers would be from at least 2 different lots (perhaps 3). Yes they are seated all of the way to the bottom. Yes they are cleaned and uniformed.

I'm not opposed to changing primers, but the rifle really ought to work with anything primer.

I'll ditch the extra power spring idea.

What is the deal with the "small version" and "large version" firing pin assemblies which Midway sells?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/630...er-magnum-blue

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/141...inchester-blue

FWIW, I blasted the bolt inside and out with Gun Scrubber to remove any unseen grit, crud and lube, then very lightly relubed and reassembled. Had never taken it apart before, surprised at how easy it was.

Son of the Gael

Answered my own question on the firing pin sizes by going to the FAQ:

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...pic,511.0.html

Silly me.