Thread: Dreaming of a multi-caliber Lightweight Hunter setup

Sundo

Dreaming of a multi-caliber Lightweight Hunter setup

I'm gathering information more than making a final decision, so I decided to post here instead of in the "Help Me Decide" section. Moderators, please feel free to move this post to the other forum, if that's appropriate. Anyway...

I've been dreaming of a three-caliber Lightweight Hunter setup. I'd like to be able to switch among .223 Remington, .243 Winchester, and .260 Remington cartridges. I don't think the 5.5 lb Lightweight Hunter will be suitable for more powerful cartridges. My understanding is that the .223 Rem cartridge requires a different bolt head, but that this bold head can be exchanged with the .243/.260 bolt head on the same bolt body. A few questions related to this:

• Is changing the bolt head a simple procedure that can be done several times per year?
    • Are there any other parts (like firing pin) that would be different?
    • Is there any reason to get the factory rifle in any one of the above three calibers instead of another?

AFAIK, the lightweight hunter action is compatible with the Accustock. Are there any issues I should anticipate if I were to replace the wood stock with an Accustock?

I'm thinking of getting the aftermarket barrels in stainless steel. Are there any issues with installing a stainless barrel on a chromoly action?

Thanks!

mytwo60

Re: Dreaming of a multi-caliber Lightweight Hunter setup

You can do everything you want for your multi cal except for the 5.5lb rifle. I can't imagine how you can have that light weight of a rifle. Maybe go everything Titanium.

Kinetik1

You can get custom barrels that will be similar in size and contour to that rifle. Or contact Savage wanting to buy those other calibers for that rifle. 223 bolt head is easy enough to swap, setting up head space is of course, necessary everytime you change barrels unless you get a gunsmith to eliminate the nut.

Ray Gunter

A very doable project I'd say.

I would get 2 bolts. One for the 223 and another for the 243, 260. Changing for the other cartridge then gets real simple.
    And get three of the smooth nuts. Headspace the barrel and add a set crew to keep the nut in position on the barrel. This gives a nut/barrel combination already headspaced together. Again changing to another cartridge gets real simple. But but still separate components just in case our minds change.

davemuzz

I agree with Ray. Two bolts make life a whole lot easier. And the cost isn't all that significant.

If your looking for "lighter" guns, you may want to think of after market barrels in a hunter contour. But you have to remember that your going to "give up" a consistent tight group of shooting ten rounds or more from a bench, or in the field. But if that's not an issue, then go for it.

A varmit contour will give you the ability to shoot more rounds without the barrel heating up as fast. But they are heavier.

IMHO, I think you have a good choice of calibers.

Dave

Team Savage

I am not sure what you consider lightweight in a rifle. I attempted to building several lightweight Savage SA hunting rifles. From my experience, you can't get much lighter than a standard plastic stocked Savage/Stevens SA with a blind magazine and factory sporter barrel cut to 20". And that is around 6.5 lbs OTB, give or take a few ounces. If you go with a Savage model that has a metal DBM, or HFP (ex. Accustock) you’ll add another 9 to 10 oz to the rifle weight.

I bought a Savage LWH in 260 several months ago. If you want the lightest Savage platform for a switch barrel rifle, then this is the one based on my experience. The rifle weighed 5 lbs 10 oz out of the box. The weight saving are achieved using a plastic DBM assembly and trigger guard. Metal was also taken off the sides of the action and the bolt fluted. The barrel is 20" with a #1 feather weight contour. The walnut stock forearm and butt have been hollowed out and slits cut in the forend to relieve weight. This action could easily be used as a switch barrel platform with the calibers you have in mind. And recoil would not be excessive.

The following statements are for reference only based on my experiences. Proceed at your own risk.

1. The Savage LWH uses the small shank barrel and threads as the standard Savage
    2. You would need to widen the barrel channel to use anything other than a #1 barrel contour in the LWH’s walnut stock. This might cause the LWH forend to flex more.
    3. I don't see any problems with switching out bolt heads, baffles or complete bolts as with other Savage SA rifles.
    4. GO and NO GO Headspace gages are needed for everyone’s safety
    5. You will need to purchase a standard Savage 204/223 CF magazine box and follower. Then just swap the bottom plastic used with the LWH when swithcing from 243/260 to 223.
    6. The matte metal trigger guard for the Accustock models will fit the Savage LWH if you prefer metal over plastic.
    7. Don't know if the LWH action will fit in an Accustock because I don't have one. Might be a gap along the side of the action since the LWH sides are flat instead of rounded.

Basic Member

Have you considered using cartridges that all use the .473 bolt head. Why not something like the 22-250, 243, and 260? All cartridges use the same style bolt head which means you would only have to change the barrel out. Everything else on the rifle would remain the same.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

stangfish

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Gunter
    A very doable project I'd say.

I would get 2 bolts. One for the 223 and another for the 243, 260. Changing for the other cartridge then gets real simple.
    And get three of the smooth nuts. Headspace the barrel and add a set crew to keep the nut in position on the barrel. This gives a nut/barrel combination already headspaced together. Again changing to another cartridge gets real simple. But but still separate components just in case our minds change.

Sundo

Thanks for all the responses so far. FYI, my dream is to purchase a complete Savage 11 Lightweight Hunter in one of the three chamberings (.223, .243, .260), then get the additional parts for the other two chamberings. My understanding is that the additional parts (besides barrels) are the .223 bolt face, magazine body, and magazine follower. I learned about the magazine body and follower from your responses, so THANK YOU!

Does it matter which chamber I get the complete rifle in? Are there parts availability considerations that would make it easier for me to start with one chamber over the other two?

I didn't consider the .22-250 because I specifically wanted one barrel in .223 Remington to take advantage of the cheap, plentiful ammo in that caliber. I chose .260 Rem because I like the 6.5/.264 caliber and I wanted a short action to minimize weight -- in a long action, I would prefer 6.5 Swede, but I didn't want the extra weight of a long action in my lightweight rifle. I chose .243 because it is a suitable hunting caliber that is much more common than the .260 Rem. With these three calibers in a lightweight rifle, I figure I have all of my bases covered, as far as my lightweight setup goes.

Regarding set-screwing a barrel nut to each barrel, I think I will eventually do that. At first, I will use the conventional go/no-go gage method, just to get proficient at setting headspace with the use of gages.

Thank you all for your informative comments. If you think of anything else I should know, please post!

howdydoit

you will find cheap plentiful ammo in 22-250 also. Not like cheep 556 but still pretty cheap.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Sundo
    Does it matter which chamber I get the complete rifle in? Are there parts availability considerations that would make it easier for me to start with one chamber over the other two?
    It won't matter which one you get first with regard to parts for switching calibers. But, based on the information in your initial post, I would go with the 260 Rem. The barrel will have a matte finish more suitable to use as as a hunting rifle. Then you could get a SS, bead blasted (matte finish) barrel in 223 for fun and varmints. It will look great with the matte Savage LWH action. Also, I'm not sure you need a 243 Win. in your line-up unless you've just got to have one, or don't plan to reload. With the wide selection of 6.5 mm bullets ranging from 85 gr to 160 gr, the 260 Rem. can be loaded down to match the performance/recoil of the 243 or up to the 6.5x55.

My experience so far with the Savage LWH in 260 is that it is one sweet compact carry/stand rifle with managable recoil and sub MOA accuracy out of the box. Most parts are interchangable with the newer Savage centerfeed models that have the bolt release in the front of the trigger guard. Since the Savage LWH is a new model, your biggest challenge will be finding an aftermarket SS barrel with the same contour/dimensions as that use on LWH. Devin (Sinman) at SinArms would be a good place to start. Other barrel makers/vendors may offer a custom contoured barrel for the Savage LWH, but I am not aware of any yet. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

barthmonster

and do some reading on the 6.5 Creedmore before you go with the 260. That's the one I'm choosing. Better brass (hornady) I guess and some good factory-chamberings from hornady. Accurate too...

Cycler

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoit
    you will find cheap plentiful ammo in 22-250 also. Not like cheep 556 but still pretty cheap.
    If you reload, the cost difference is almost zero. The 22-250 can be easily loaded down to .223 power levels but the .223 can never match a full power 22-250.

Also, in the interest of giving even more advice you didn't request, :) consider the 7mm-08 instead of the .260. It handles heavier bullets and will give a better power increase over the .243. Excellent 7 mm bullets are available from many makers so you aren't giving up any quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Cycler
    Quote Originally Posted by howdydoit
    If you reload, the cost difference is almost zero. The 22-250 can be easily loaded down to .223 power levels but the .223 can never match a full power 22-250.

Also, in the interest of giving even more advice you didn't request, :) consider the 7mm-08 instead of the .260. It handles heavier bullets and will give a better power increase over the .243. Excellent 7 mm bullets are available from many makers so you aren't giving up any quality.
    +1 for the 7mm-08.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67