Thread: First Elk Hunt - Questions & Report

First Elk Hunt - Questions & Report

Greetings,
    I have around 20 days till my First Elk hunt, it is a self hunt.
    We will hit the slopes around 4 am and stay out till late afternoons.

I have some silly willy questions, here goes:

1. Energy bars - what do I get.
    2. Which call should I use - I am hunting the 2nd rifle in CO Springs.
    3. Which skinning knife?
    4. Smell - I was thinking of washing my clothes with scent free detergent and taking along some use a scent free soap to shower, Do I need those sprays? douse myself in Elk urine ;-)?
    5. Backpack - I have a nylon internal frame day packing backpack which I will cover with an orange vest. To pack meat out, I bone out the meat in trasher compactor bags and carry it out in my backpack?
    6. Thin wool socks - I went through my sock drawer and I have thick wool socks, being kinda on the warm side in 20 days, what sock would you suggest?
    Any other suggestions?

I am back - no Elk :-( but tons of fun, report below in a seperate post.
    newbie from gr, mi.

Elkbane

Re: First Elk Hunt - Questions

Here's my suggestions:
    1. Bars - whichever you want, but I find that the wrapper on most commerical bars makes too much noise. Go low tech - a peanut butter and honey sandwich in a ziplock sandwich bag is probably just as good.
    2. I'd get a "Hootchie Mama" cow call. It's a bulb type call that you squeeze and is really easy to use/master. I tie mine on the strap of my pack so that it's handy when I need it.
    3. Whatever one you use for deer hunting, but it needs to be sharp, and you might want to pack a small ceramic or diamond hone with you to touch it up. I'd get a lightweight bone saw too - Gerber makes a decent one.
    4. Smell is improtant, but with the amount of walking it sounds like you will be doing, it will be almost impossible to control smell at the source. You may be better off getting some of the squeeze bottle wind indicators (pufffs out powder) to guage the wind direction and manage your scent with locations, not chemicals.
    5. Packing out meat is a real chore. You'll probably be toting 60-80 lbs of meat at a time, and most day packs won't handle that. You may need an L frame pack for the heavy lifting, or at least go together with your group and buy one. Try putting a 40 lb bag of sacrete in your pack to see how it feels - my guess is that it will really stress your pack. The L-fram packs better distribute weight between your shoulders and hips so that your legs take the load, not your back....
    6. Go to bass Pro and look at their mid-weight wool / poly blend socks. They are pretty warm, let sweeat pass through and are durable.
    7.......Another item you may want to pick ups is the "Bino Buddy" style binocular straps - they keep the load from your binoculars on your shoulders instead of your neck, and keep your binoculars in a handy location. And shooting sticks. And a rangefinder.
    Elkbane

Basic Member

Good answers so far. I like pbj, though. apples cookies whatever you like. Salt is your friend too. bring some pretzels.
    Any small pruning saw will do the work, gerber can be pricy. Look for an Alice pack frame. you sholld be able to get most of a quarter on one.
    The socks don't have to be wool, but not cotton. Most sporting goods stores should have some ski or hiking socks for yah.
    Black pepper. to keep the flies off the meat.
    flagging tape. mark where you shot from. remember to take a bearing on the location of the target, when you range it. Surprising how much everything looks the same when you get excited. Then when you get where you think there should be elk or blood at least, you can get a reverse bearing, and put yourself within a couple feet.
    So a compass, map and rangefinder go in the pack.
    Have fun, no tag for me this year
    Life is short, make every shot count.

Basic Member

Utah's elk country got about a foot of snow across the tops last week.......

There were still drifts from last winter yet....... ???
    S/shot Savage & heavy Pac Nor's rock !! 'JM' Marlin lever gun nut !

romulus

I agree with everyone's statements, but would like to stress RANGEFINDER. I've had some successful elk hunts and only one bad one. I was measuring up an elk with my NPR1 reticle and thought it to be around 550. I asked the guide. He said the valley could be no more than 275 yds deep. I let someone else shoot because it was all happening so fast and I don't take shots I'm not confident in. Well they shrugged and took his advice. After borrowing a rangefinder from a buddy the next day it was 575 to the tree he was standing behind. It was the bull of a lifetime. :'( When things are sectioned off it's easy to tell range, but open grass meadows or canyons can be deceiving sometimes, especially when you're looking at a great bull.

Range it if there's any doubt. My rule is to always range if I get the chance.

Also, don't panic and ruin tracks if you don't find blood immediately. We cut half circles for 80 yards to find one of my bulls in a huge pile of blood, but not a speck until then. With fallen timber you can walk right past their huge bodies sometimes and it all blends in until you backtrack. Staying calm helps you a lot.

Good luck. Hopefully they'll respond to the calls and you'll be able to smell them when you're aiming at them lol. I usually have to go later than that.

P.S. If you're not in great shape do whatever you can to help that out in 20 days. I've only taken one winded elk shot, and it was damn hard to hold. 230 yd with a muzzleloader, but I got him. It wouldn't have been that bad if I were in better shape.

Supplies:
    1 hootchie mama call ordered.
    2. need to try the socks before buying, I have some wool ones for back up. I will swing by basspro at rancho cucamonga next week.
    3. buddy has bone saw,
    4. bought bino buddy from wallys
    5. range finger 2, nikon and backup simmons, buddy says I will be lucky to get a 100 yrd shot as it is thick dense timber
    6. black pepper, tape and compass (gps too, I have a garmin with topo).
    7. game ear thinggy to protect hearing

kinda nervous, sighted in BAR 06 but not happy with it, going back to recheck and practice shooting off sticks.

getting in shape has been the hardest part, with my schedule and having 2 little ones, did not get to spend that much time on cardio, strength yes.
    newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member

You may already know all of this, but it is worth repeating.

You do not say where you're going, or where you're from, but if you are going from low elevation, to high elevation, remember to allow a day to acclimate to the higher altitude. Going too high, too fast will cause altitude sickness. One thing not mentioned on your list is a water bladder (Camel back or similar) for your pack, IF you do not already have one. USE IT! Dehydration happens faster at altitude, and will bring on altitude sickness faster. The early symptoms are fatigue and headaches.

I keep mine clipped to my shoulder strap, so that all I have to do is pull it a few inches to my mouth and take a drink. You are more likely to use it that way, and stay hydrated. Drink BEFORE you are thirsty.

I used to live in the CA high desert, 2500 MSL and hunted regularly at around 7,000 MSL, and if I was not careful it would get me every time, UNTIL I got a camel back. Problem solved.

Also, most elk areas, that are at high altitude (7,000+), have a lower humidity level than lower elevations, and this too, will sap the moisture from you. So, lower density oxygen levels, and lower humidity, will equal higher water loss rates. Refill your water every day. This is MORE important than food.

Enjoy your hunt, be safe, be careful and I wish you success.

romulus

I can't wait to see some pictures. Even of the country if you can't find 'em.

He should be on the hunt or leaving very soon. ;D ;D ;D I'm getting giddy about my NM mule deer hunt coming Nov 10th.

Re: First Elk Hunt - Questions & Report

Day 1 - We started bit late as we had to re-zero our rifles and headed out to the GMU around 10 to an idea of the terrain so in total darkness we have idea of where the heck we are. We saw a lot of Elk scat, but nothing super fresh. We saw some fresh bear scat. Had to climb 1100 ft with my 40lb backup and 8lb rifle. It was not fun. I hated my backpack. We were out till night fall and walking down was harder for a flatlander like myself.

Day2 - Headed out at 345 am and climbed 1100 ft again but this time with a much lighter backup (not light enough), 28F and 30 miles winds made it quite fun, sat overlooking a meadow and glassed till the Sun came over the peaks. On my hike down to the meadow from the peak, I stopped to takea leak and there somthing moving in the dark timber, could not see bleep, I need night vision next time. It was quite scary, I chambered a round from the magazine really quickly kept the rifle in my hand. At 9 am my partner came over from the other meadow he was watching, we decided to walk the dark timer. After an hour I stopped again to take a leak and I head a shot, I rush over and I see a bunch of mule deer crossing the path we were walking. My hunting partner said he was an Elk, shot and missed. We walked till lunch time and came to the meadow I was watching and waited for others from the group. I took a quick nap and ate some junk. We went out again later in the afternoon and watched different spots and walked the timber. No sign of anything living. The group found an old set of bones from an Elk from last season. We left after sunset.
    Day3 - Left at 350 am and saw a few hunder Elk grazing next to the road in the no shot protected park land. &^%$, Before the final turn to the dirt road we saw a big Elk next to the road. Today we parked on the other side so we had to climb 500ft or so. We decided to walk the dark timer and did not see anything for nearly 4 hours, I took a break to find a good log and just glass, got tied of it and started to walk and saw movement to my left, rifle on in firing position standing and safety off I saw LARGE animal heading in my direction. I froze but it made me, I did not move and the animal was behind a clump of 4 pines, I moved 6 inches to the right to take the shot as soon as it clears the pines and I heard voices coming from the same direction. Soon after that, I saw a giant MULE deer jump, skip, away. We walk the other peaks and no sign also.
    Day4 - Same as day 3 but we called it quits at lunch as a big snow storm was coming.
    Day 5 - Temp dropped to -9 and there was 13 - 24 inches on the ground and we lost power the day before. We went out to check out the tracks, we saw one Elk track, quite a few deer track, couple of bear tracks and one mountain lion track (yikes). Found guts from a deer shot the day before. Left after few hours and headed back down to Colorado Springs.

Definitely going back next year. Here are few items I found out the hardway:
    1. Less is more: Next time I am taking a hydration pack with GPS, Bino and dry foods, once I have an animal we can get the gear from the vehicle. Light - need to make sure red light is more than setting as less light is best to condition the eye.
    2. Fitness - this was my weakness, climbing 1100 ft requires many months of conditioning.
    3. Scouting - Need to go a week early to start scouting everyday.
    4. Private land is looking more and more attractive, I am still doing a self hunt and on probably on private land.
    5. Getting a Mule deer tag and other species if in season.
    6. Side arm - I plan to carry side arm next time I am out there plus bear spray.
    7. Load Terrain Map into GPS

I will post some pics later in the week.
    newbie from gr, mi.

fyimo

Re: First Elk Hunt - Questions & Report

Elk hunting is hard work and the success usually happens from the more time you spend in the woods and not to much time in camp not hunting. We have hunted Elk in Colorado for 29 years now and we are always amazed at the number of hunters that only hunt a few hours a day in the early morning and late afternoon. We are in the woods at first light and come out at dark and we are moving constantly looking for Elk. We hunt near Gunnison in a place called Ohio City and the more snow the better the hunting.