Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions for a starter reloading kit

Woodser

Re: Suggestions for a starter reloading kit

Dennis, if you plan to do some long range target competition, you will need the best equipment you can buy. Competition dies, a well made and precisely aligned press, ect. Dillion, Forster, Redding are hard to beat in that category. They are pricey, but they will meet your needs better than Lee, Lyman, and the others.

BTW, no progressive press can load precision ammo like a top of the line single stage.

MHO.

Basic Member

I bought a Lee anniversary kit about 18 months ago. I have been happy and it gets you into the basics for cheap. The breech lock is nice and makes loading multiple cartridges easy.

A problem I have had with the Lee anniversary kit is that the aluminum is already wearing out. It has about 1/8” of play at full stroke. I have loaded probably somewhere around 3000-4000 rounds with it. When I was planning on ordering the aluminum was a concern but the price was enticing enough that I didn’t worry about it. I planned on upgrading anyways once I got the basics down.

I recently switched to a different setup. I use the Lee Classic Cast press with the Hornady Lock-N-Load die conversion bushing kit. I use the Lee press with the Hornady kit and really like it better than the Lee breech lock system. I suspect if they would make a breech lock press that wasn’t aluminum I would have stayed with the breech lock system. I even called Lee to see if there was a press that used the breech lock system that wasn’t aluminum and there isn’t.

Hornady Lock-N-Load Press and Die Conversion Bushing Kit

By using the Lee Classic Cast with the Hornady Lock-N-Load setup I have the best of both worlds, a quick change system with the durability of steel.

A few things I would also recommend would be:
    Redding Powder trickler
    Electronic scale of some sort (super fast compared to balance beam scale)
    Tumbler for the brass with media
    Additional Breech locks or Hornady setups (count how many you think you need then add 2-3)
    Calipers
    Impact bullet puller (I use this very often, you may think you will not need it but you definitely will)

This has been my experience with the Lee kit. I still use the press but only to deprime, neck size and charge the cases. I use the Hornady and Classic Cast setup to seat the bullet because it is rock solid with no play.

The Lee Anniversary kit is graet for what it is, a beginners kit that allows you to get the hang of it for cheap as well as see if you want to reload. For me the allure of reloading wasn’t the cost savings but the quality of ammo. Any reloads will be better than most off the shelf ammo you can buy. I can load sub ½ MOA ammo for less than blaster ammo, including Wolf.

Hope this helps,
    Dolomite

Basic Member

... no progressive press can load precision ammo like a top of the line single stage.

Why do people say that ?

If you feel confident that you will stay with reloading and shooting, don't let cost be the main factor. While most of the manufacturers make good stuff, it's rare that you will want everything from one of them (like a kit). You may be happier buying the items you like individually.
    I have been told this by several people!!!!!!!
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

I was also told the Hornady's Lock-n-Load press was on of the best and strongest! Buy the press and buy the components seperately!

I was talking to an older gentlement who told me if I was loading a 100 or more, I would want a press with leverage as a smaller press would wear you out a little quicker. Also stated you wanted consistant loads and that's why he recommended the above! Heavy duty with an easy pull for large rifle rounds.

Woodser

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer

... no progressive press can load precision ammo like a top of the line single stage.

Why do people say that ?

Play in the turrets.

Basic Member

Some people call that free-floating.

How much match grade ammunition is loaded on progressive machines ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer
    Some people call that free-floating.

How much match grade ammunition is loaded on progressive machines ?

None at my house.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member

It wasn't very long ago that the High Power range was ruled by the '03 Springfield.

Slowly, very slowly the Garand was accepted. Most folks thought the idea of a semiautomatic on a target range was absurd.

Hear tell that the M14/M1A has made some inroads into the High Power game.

Who knows what will be next ?

In varmint shooting, the 219 Donaldson Wasp and 220 Swift dominated forever.

Then some folks started playing with the 222 Remington and 222 Remington Magnum and demonstrated that other cartridges might have the accuracy potential for varmints.

Some day the 223, a spray-and-pray military cartridge, might make it in the prairie dog towns -- but doubt it.

Started with hand-operated dies for neck-sizing brass. Hand seaters for bullets. B&M powder measures. Bullets hand-swaged in seven steps.

Then tried the Bonanza CO-AX with its floating shell holder. Made acceptable ammo.

Then set up two RCBS Rockchuckers to semi-progressively load PD ammo.

Even heard that some folks were shooting factory made bullets that were not hand swaged one at a time but were actually made in factories like Sierra, Berger, and Hornady. Even heard that some folks were not weighing every primer on certified lab scales.

Realized that all factory match ammo was loaded on very automated machines and some folks shot it and were not embarrassed to tell the tale.

Saw where David Tubb was winning eleven national long range titles using ammo loaded on Dillon machines.

Decided to give it a whirl. Radical as it was. Heck, them prairie dogs gave great acrobatics/aerobatics with the progressive-loaded ammo.

Heck, one day might even give variable power scopes a try.

Nah, just kidding.

For the what its worth department, have one reloading bench with five single station RCBS presses mounted on it today. Still use them. And, no, the 222 family still hasn't proven itself up to the Donaldson Wasp or Swift yet. And the semiautos will never rule High Power.

If one wanted to start with a single-station press, then would definitely recommend getting two presses of the same model if loading rifle and a third one if loading handgun. There is nothing more frustrating to the beginning loader than screwing dies in and out of presses when going from case sizing to bullet seating even if running a batch operation.

firemachine69

Quote Originally Posted by NRV
    If you feel confident that you will stay with reloading and shooting, don't let cost be the main factor. While most of the manufacturers make good stuff, it's rare that you will want everything from one of them (like a kit). You may be happier buying the items you like individually.

Personally, I love the Lee Classic Cast Iron press, but would not use their cheap pot metal Challenger Press. Folks will disagree with me, but Lee makes some ingenious products, and some real duds. However, everything they make is priced nicely.

From my limited usage, it seems that Forster and Redding products are made to slightly higher standards and tolerances.

When it comes to dies, I prefer to buy the good one the first time, and be done with it. Forster may be the best value in that department.

That's just my opinion, so take for what it is worth.

I hear that alot as well. Mind you, people always buy the Pacesetter or RGB dies, and people never compare the Forster or the Redding to the Deluxe set with the carbide dies.

NRV

Dolomite mentioned using the Hornady L-N-L bushings in the Lee Classic Cast Press. I use this same setup. I agree with him, it is GREAT. You only have to set the dies once into the bushing and then they just come in and out with 1/6 turn.

I have checked, and my sizers and seaters maintian the same amount of shoulder bump or same seating depth, even after multiple ins and outs. I was somewhat nervous of this at first. The other thing that I like is that while there is zero play vertically, the O-ring allows a slight bit of side to side movement if necessary. This seems to allow the dies to self-align like a Co-Ax press.

If one wanted to start with a single-station press, then would definitely recommend getting two presses of the same model if loading rifle and a third one if loading handgun. There is nothing more frustrating to the beginning loader than screwing dies in and out of presses when going from case sizing to bullet seating even if running a batch operation.
    Believe it or not, I have been told the above several times! Get two presses ::) , an electronic scale, tumbler, dies, and the other small accesories and get to work!

I will mainly start loading 308's, what dies do you recommend for this round! Carbide match or etc.?

stevec

After 18 years of loading I have 6 presses three powder measures several scales and drawers full of do-dads, gagets, and accessories. all you need to get started is in one of the kits, Lee, Rcbs,Lyman or any other. I dont worry about "Wearing" out Aluminum presses. If you want perfectly straight ammo, The ram and the die have to be aligned perfectly.(not going to happen) Or The ram can have slack in it and be "self aligning"

Steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12