Thread: Brand of dies?

Basic Member

Brand of dies?

It looks as though I'm about to get hooked on this switch barrel habit and I'm a bit concerned about the cost of dies adding even more to the cost of each barrel/caliber. It cost me nearly $150.00 to "tool up" when I bought my .204, so I'm rethinking my choices of brands.
    A few years ago, I decided to go to all Redding comp and 3-die sets,--both sets for some calibers. My 22-250 still shoots 1/2" using a Lee RGB set that I bought to get started with it and my .243 (Herters U-9) shoots 3/4" using the Herters Mark II dies that cost me $5 when I ordered the gun from Herters. Yeah, I know, I've got some gray hair--I've only been doing this since 1964.
    So, what is the consensus about what is really necessary for lowest cost/best performance on the brand of dies? I hear good comments about the Lee collet dies and I can't complain about mine except for the odd-ball size and shape of the storage boxes and the fact that I'm not comfortable with those o-rings. I'd like to hear what the rest of you have experienced with the various brands of dies. Thanks, Steve

Basic Member

Re: Brand of dies?

In the last few years I have pretty much switched to Redding exclusively. However, I have heard nothing but good reports on the Forester dies. I am now in the process of putting together a 20 Vartarg and if Forester made dies for it I would try them. As it is I am going to bite the bullet and get the Reddings @ close to $200.00.
    Charlie
    laportecharlie

82boy

I buy Forester dies for all my new calibers, they make a top notch die, and don't have a high cost.

I have had other sets of dies, IMO Redding dies are the worse I have ever seen, and worth far less than the cost. I have found consitrisity problems, and other reason I just don't like them. I base my opinion from my experiences on their competition line of dies. I have never had the lower end Reeding dies.

I find that RCBS makes a nice competition die, but it is pricey. I just can not find anyone that makes a quality die like forester for the price they charge. I have Wilson, Neil Jones, Harrell, Herters, Brunos, Reeding, RCBS, Lyman, Lee, you name it dies.

JCalhoun

The vast majority of my dies are Lee. I have a few Forsters, and RCBS (really love the comp seating dies with the window).

You can buy lock rings from RCBS or Forster to replace the ones on the Lee's.

I own Forster, Hornady, Redding, RCBS and Lee. When I pick up a new caliber I look for Lee Collet dies. The Collet series loads as straight a round as my Forster or Redding dies for less. Yes, they were check on a Sinclair runout tool with digital mic. They are not as smooth as the more expensive dies, those ??Forsters are like butter, but the end result is the same if not better, but never worse.
    More shooting, less typing.

I use Redding, RCBS, Hornady, Lee and Wilson dies. They all do the job required of them rather nicely and I can't say one is any better than the other most of the time.

If I was forced into one choice it would be Wilson though....with Redding FL body dies.

Eric in NC

Quote Originally Posted by JCalhoun

You can buy lock rings from RCBS or Forster to replace the ones on the Lee's.
    +1

Forester

I have used Lee, RCBS, Lyman, Redding, Forster and on and on...

My first choice in a seater die is the Redding competition, with the Forster a very very close second, and ahead if value is figured in.

My first choice for a neck die is the Forster Bushing Bump, they give you the flexibility to size just necks or bump the shoulders back some too.

My first choice in a Full length die is the Redding S-type with the bushings in the neck, I can't stand not having control over neck tension.

The only Lee dies I have liked are the collet neck dies, if you get one that does not scratch the heck out of the necks, and the Factory Crimp dies in certain applications.

More and more it just depends on what I want to do with the rifle, generally I ignore brand and buy the die that does the best job at what I need it for. Mostly that is either Redding or Forster.

Galveston22

I use Forster dies (FL resize, BR seater die, and puller) for my .308.

I buy Forester dies for all my new calibers
    Where is the best place to purchase them?
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

82boy

Lock stock and barrel, Graff and sons, Cabalas, Sinclair's, and the list goes on.

Basic Member

FYI - it appears from what I've read on other forums that Lock Stock and Barrel has shut down operations.

82boy:

I believe you are the one who has the 243! I am going to try your formula for the 107gr's (I think that what you said, I will have to look it up again) and see how it does in my gun. I have the stock VLP 243 9.25twist.

If you wanna post it again, I will definetly save it!

82boy

I have long since left using a 243, I have gone to a 6x47 lapua, and have no intention on going back, it is just a all around better round.

When I was shooting a 243, I did have good luck with the 107 SMK in my factory 9.25 twist 243, using imr 4350 powder, and br2 primers. That barrel just shoot good!

Basic Member

I no longer buy die sets. Here's what I use on standard calibers:

Lee Collet die
    Redding body die (ajusted to bump shoulder .002" every 3 or 4 shots)
    Forsters Benchrest seater

82boy:

I have long since left using a 243, I have gone to a 6x47 lapua, and have no intention on going back, it is just a all around better round.

When I was shooting a 243, I did have good luck with the 107 SMK in my factory 9.25 twist 243, using imr 4350 powder, and br2 primers. That barrel just shoot good!
    First, how many grains of 4350 were you using?

Did you convert your 243 to the 6x47? I believe there's a LUPUA 6x47 barrel for sale on the board NOW!