Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for a starter reloading kit

Suggestions for a starter reloading kit

Is there a good started kit out there that's worth the investment or ??????
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

stevec

Re: Suggestions for a starter reloading kit

best deal out there, some people dont like Lee but plain and simple It works. Not a huge investment either.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=121744

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=423081

I bought this set about 18 years ago and still use it today(They have upgraded the press since then)

Steve

Basic Member

+1 what Steve said...started reloading just this year with the first one.

10fp

yep, lee is cheaper and will make ammo just as well as the others.

Team Savage

A few years ago, I bought a rock chucker kit because thats what everybody said to get.
    If I did it again I would ge tthe lee, because the only thing I still use from the kit is the press.
    That would have given me about $160 to spend on other stuff.

If you really get into it, you will want more stuff later on anyway, like an electrinic powder dispenser, better primer seater, maybe a prep station, etc etc.

Basic Member

+1 on the Lee, except I think their scales suck. Buy the Lee kit, a quality scale, and you will set. Buy additional tools/ upgrade as needed.
    &quot;If you don&#39;t have me on tape, then I didn&#39;t do it.&quot;<br />-Rumored to own a few, various firearms.

Woodser

I have a Rock Chucker press, but use all Lee dies at present, if that tells you anything. You can&#39;t go wrong with the Lee equipment.

Team Savage

Yep, Lee anniversary kit................ Hard to beat for the money. ;D
    Stu

What about the Dillion RL 550B? Looks like a nice machine.

By the way, I want to reload 308, 243, and 22-250.

Woodser

If you are 100% sure reloading will be a hobby roe you for life, the Dillion is an excellent investment. Most recommend Lee so as to reduce the impact to a new reloader&#39;s budget, while still yielding excellent results. Not everyone who tries reloading sticks with it for a lifetime.

Which Dillion would be the best to get?

Woodser

Which ever your budget can afford. None will be a wrong choice.

Eric in NC

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    Which Dillion would be the best to get?
    The 550B is the best combo of price and features in my opinion. But as the others said the Lee stuff works very well and is easy on the pocketbook.

I still have my first Lee press from the 70&#39;s and still use it (it is dedicated to decapping military primers now but it still works fine).

Not much "junk" out there in the handloading industry thankfully and all manufacturers that I know of stand behind there stuff to an unbelievable degree.

I started with Lee in the 60s and have had Lyman, RCBS & 3 more Lee presses, but the best is the Forester Co-ax press. It is the easiest to set up and easier on the arms to resize with and I wish I had gotten it a long time ago.

Basic Member

Even if you are planning on going for the Dillon, the Lee kit is still a good place to start. It contains many smaller pieces you would have to buy seperate if you go Dillon. Also, I think starting off with a single stage set up is better. It will be more forgiving when it comes to adjustments and will allow you to absorb everthing that is going on during the loading process. It is easier for you to absorb the process when it is done one step at a time. Later on when you move to the Dillon, what is happening all at once will make more sence to you, and trouble shooting will be easier. If you are worried about wasting money on the Lee press, don&#39;t. Buy their universal decapper and put it in the press for decapping range brass before tossing them in the tumbler. It is a great setup for that.
    &quot;If you don&#39;t have me on tape, then I didn&#39;t do it.&quot;<br />-Rumored to own a few, various firearms.

I&#39;m not knocking the Dillon at all. But, I believe that a quality single stage press will make better ammo than any progressive.

Get a Lee kit to get going and start saving for a Forster Co-Ax and RCBS Chargemaster.

Then when you really want to drive yourself nuts, buy a RCBS Casemaster and start measuring runnout. ;D
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

WOW, everybody is pushing the Lee, there is a store in my area that has a complete Lyman kit. Nobody has mentioned this kit. Any comments?

Woodser

We mention Lee because it has the best price for performance ratio.

Lyman is just as good as any. If you like it, buy it. It does not matter what you use. They will all produce usable ammo.

stevec

Quote Originally Posted by Woodser
    We mention Lee because it has the best price for performance ratio.

Lyman is just as good as any. If you like it, buy it. It does not matter what you use. They will all produce usable ammo.
    Exactly what woodser said. Everybody has their personal favorite but the lee is the lowest startup cost.(and is good equipment) I have lyman scales and They work fine, no better and no worse than any other I have tried. I also have lee,rcbs and cheap digital scales. The only one I wouldnt suggest is the cheap digital.

Steve

firemachine69

Go with the Breech Lock kit. Has surpassed all my expectations. :)

I added an MTM cheapo digi scale to make quick batches of rifle ammo. I just about doubled my loading speed with it, and I find it accurate to Lee&#39;s Safety Scale by +/- .1 grain. It also alleviates alot of that "am I reading this beam correctly?" and "why must the beam take so long to stabilize?"

I bet you guys who fret over that .1 grain difference, could get better accuracy simply by playing around with the distance to the lands, instead.

Basic Member

The reason I alway recommend the Lee kit is to people who want to start out is because this may not be something they continue with. If they decide its not a hobby they want to continue, they can just box the stuff up and be out less than 100 buck. If you start with the 300 dollar kit you have just wasted a lot more money, or you can sell the stuff. But, for me, I dont want to be hassled with selling something, especially if I decided I did not enjoy it in the first place. That is adding insult to injury.

Then, if you want to continue with loading as a hobby, you are going to spend so much more than the initial kit cost, that it will not even be a consideration of the money you spend on tools and supplies a few years down the road. I made a deal with myself, I added a RCBS rockchucker press only after I loaded 1000 rounds. I still have the lee press for decapping and also still use the scale and powder measure.

I dont have any issue with the Lee scale operation at all. But, I dont weigh things, I add powder to a pile until it reaches a set weight. Big difference there.

I think the powder measure is flimsy, but, 2000 strokes later it is still going strong and very repeatable.

The Lee kit is a great way to test the waters. You dont need a brick shithouse if you are just going to use it once and then move on.
    --------Savage - the last refuge for the persecuted left handed rifleman----------------

WELL, I figure I have been shooting since high school (1974) and I am shooting more now than ever. Hopefully I will be retired (if our government let me) and I plan on traveling and shooting in long range matches. I have the guns, CCI primers, Varget powder, various bullets, and now all I need is the realoader kit to get started! I might load 200 to 250 per month, give or take a few!

Maybe this extra info will put more light on the subject! I want to make sure I made the right investment from the start, but I don&#39;t see me quiting anytime soon! I looked at several kits today at a local reloader store. Too many choices! I have just about decided against a Dillion because of the cost and not loading more than maybe 250 per month!

Thanks to everyone for the advice and still looking for more, I just bought the Lyman reloading manual and will start reading it tonight! ;D

Basic Member

If it helps any, I have the Lee Breechlock kit I purchased back in March of this year...never touched a press before that. Now have over 1000 rounds loaded/shot and still happy with the purchase. Did replace the scale with a digitial from RCBS. Have dies from Lee and Redding. Use a rock tumbler (polisher) from Harbor Freight I use to clean brass with (around 50 at a time).

When life lets me, I get to shoot something like 50 rounds on Sat/Sun, drop the cases in the tumbler - clean the rifle, remove the brass. Then during the week de-cap/size, clean again, prime, powder and seat the bullets...usually over 2-3 nights. I measure each case for length, weigh/sort bullets by weight, trim if needed, etc.

Have gone through about 800-900 Sierra Match Kings, and seem to be ordering them everytime I turn around, need to save my pennies and buy some bulk, same with powder - gone through at least 2.5 lbs of Varget. Not sure how many bullets/powder/primers you have, but I would figure on more than I did ... lol.

Good luck and most of all have fun!!

Basic Member

Believe one should start with a Dillon Super 1050 for each handgun or rifle cartridge.

For African length cartridges, Dillon has a new progressive machine to handle 50 BMG size cartridge.

Dillon machines are stimulating and therefore are paid for under the Obama Stimulus Bill.

NRV

If you feel confident that you will stay with reloading and shooting, don&#39;t let cost be the main factor. While most of the manufacturers make good stuff, it&#39;s rare that you will want everything from one of them (like a kit). You may be happier buying the items you like individually.

Personally, I love the Lee Classic Cast Iron press, but would not use their cheap pot metal Challenger Press. Folks will disagree with me, but Lee makes some ingenious products, and some real duds. However, everything they make is priced nicely.

From my limited usage, it seems that Forster and Redding products are made to slightly higher standards and tolerances.

When it comes to dies, I prefer to buy the good one the first time, and be done with it. Forster may be the best value in that department.

That&#39;s just my opinion, so take for what it is worth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast