Thread: Target action stock option

TOO Builder

Target action stock option

A few years ago I built a 6x47 Lapua useing a RBLP target action. I wanted something to play with shooting from the bench so had Joel Russo cut me a 3" wide thumbhole benchrest style stock. The rifle ended up shooting great however it always got left at home when I went to the dog towns. I always had it in the back of my mind to make up another stock that wouldn't be so heavy.

Learning from some of you guys here that the center feed stock could be used on the three screw hole target action I always kept my eyes open for something that would work. I happen to be looking on Boyds site the other day and noticed they had some unfinished walnut Ross varmint thumbholes for the center feed listed. That sounded interesting so I gave them a call. The fellow said they don't normally make them from walnut however a few got cut that way. Figured it was worth a try. This is what I ended up with...

I did not utilize the center hole. I just filled in the mag well cutout with a block of wood leaving it about 1/8" below the surface of the action and glued it in place. I did not care for the plastic pillar that was in the front hole so I removed it and drilled the hole up to accept a Parrish Rem. 700 pillar like I always use. I used the old threaded lamp rod trick for the rear pillar. The finish is sprayed on tung oil. I did have to open up the barrel channel slightly to accept the bull barrel. Overall I would give Boyds an A+ for the quality of there stocks. It was a fun project.

Trent

Re: Target action stock option

That looks real nice!

coonhunter70

Does she shoot any different with the middle screw missing. I too have a new target action laying around here that I plan to get started on sometime this winter and have been tossing in my sleep over which stock I wanna go with.
    Thats a good looking gun by the way.

TOO Builder

I have not shot it in this stock yet however I did play with it in the benchrest stock one time by pulling the middle screw. I didn't notice any difference in accuracy.

nd-cheetah

Looking good, what is the white stuff around your rifle?

TOO Builder

coonhunter70- just confirmed no loss of accuracy in this stock. Still drills the 105 VLD's into one ragged hole. 70gr Speer TNT's will be my doggin load. It doesn't do quite as well with them but will work just fine. I don't think this setup misses the middle screw.

nd-cheeta, that is what we call a heavy frost around here!

coonhunter70

Quote Originally Posted by TOO Builder
    coonhunter70- just confirmed no loss of accuracy in this stock. Still drills the 105 VLD's into one ragged hole. 70gr Speer TNT's will be my doggin load. It doesn't do quite as well with them but will work just fine. I don't think this setup misses the middle screw.

nd-cheeta, that is what we call a heavy frost around here!
    Thats good to hear, I may consider a short action centerfeed stock of some sort for my build. Now if I could just decide on what caliber.

Varget 7-08

Beautiful rifle! I love the target action.

Basic Member

what did you use for rear pillar a lamp rod? did you glass or steel bed it? Very nice looking gun

TOO Builder

Yes, that is correct. Plain old threaded lamp rod works well. Here is a link to some however most lumber mart type stores have it. Devcon 10110 was used to bed everything.

http://www.antiquelampsupply.com/pro...thread-nipples

Basic Member

guess its fairly easy to cut it out for trigger area