Thread: Savage 10FCM 7.62x39

canon6

Savage 10FCM 7.62x39

Any of you guys have one of these??? opinions,good,bad,indifferent.I already have a 308 pseudo scout(M1916 Spanish,my sixth one)just interested in the 762x39 for a 200 yard light kicker.Thanks , Doug

thomae

Re: Savage 10FCM 7.62x39

I have one and I like it. It mounts and points well for me.

I want to shoot it with iron sights, so I did purchase an adjustable diopter rear insert that will allow me to adjust to different lighting conditions: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/663...s-sights-black

I found a $30.00 LER scope being sold by a friend that I have mounted temporarily for load development.
    I did a 200 yard ladder test recently with the 4 power scope and everything was within a 5 inch circle.

At 100 yards it is certainly minute of deer accurate, and 5-8 inches at 200 (I estimate 8 with the peep sight) off my ricebag is still good enough to bag a deer if I do my part.

It shoots the cheap commercial ammo (.310)good enough, but I am working loads using Sellier & Bellot brass because it's what I have most of and what little Winchester brass I have shows pressure signs sooner than the S&B.

My goal is to have an accurate hunting load with 1000 foot pounds out to around 250 yards. Here in PA, most shots are less than 100 yards.
    I am currently working with 150 grain Combined Tech .308 partitions, H4875 and unknown primers (I had a bunch already in the reloader, and I can't remember what brand. ) My personal max load is 28.8 grains of H4895, but the book max is 28.0, so I don't recommend this to anyone unless you carefully work up to it. I may have an accuracy node around 28.0, but am not sure yet.

Bottom line: I like it. I will carry it around the woods, recoil is not aggressive at all, and hopefully I will put some venison in the freezer.

I know the accuracy numbers I have been mentioning must make the benchrest crowd shiver with horror, but this is strictly for me, a tool to get close range deer. I think it is good enough. (although I am still working on developing better loads...it all takes time.)

Questions? please ask.
    All the best.

thomae,

I have a question?

Tell me about the bolthead that Savage is using on that rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by thomae
    I have one and I like it. It mounts and points well for me.

I want to shoot it with iron sights, so I did purchase an adjustable diopter rear insert that will allow me to adjust to different lighting conditions: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/663...s-sights-black

I found a $30.00 LER scope being sold by a friend that I have mounted temporarily for load development.
    I did a 200 yard ladder test recently with the 4 power scope and everything was within a 5 inch circle.

At 100 yards it is certainly minute of deer accurate, and 5-8 inches at 200 (I estimate 8 with the peep sight) off my ricebag is still good enough to bag a deer if I do my part.

It shoots the cheap commercial ammo (.310)good enough, but I am working loads using Sellier & Bellot brass because it's what I have most of and what little Winchester brass I have shows pressure signs sooner than the S&B.

My goal is to have an accurate hunting load with 1000 foot pounds out to around 250 yards. Here in PA, most shots are less than 100 yards.
    I am currently working with 150 grain Combined Tech .308 partitions, H4875 and unknown primers (I had a bunch already in the reloader, and I can't remember what brand. ) My personal max load is 28.8 grains of H4895, but the book max is 28.0, so I don't recommend this to anyone unless you carefully work up to it. I may have an accuracy node around 28.0, but am not sure yet.

Bottom line: I like it. I will carry it around the woods, recoil is not aggressive at all, and hopefully I will put some venison in the freezer.

I know the accuracy numbers I have been mentioning must make the benchrest crowd shiver with horror, but this is strictly for me, a tool to get close range deer. I think it is good enough. (although I am still working on developing better loads...it all takes time.)

Questions? please ask.
    All the best.

The 7.62X39 can be quite an accurate cartridge in a bolt action with a decent scope.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

canon6

thomae,thanks for the info.A question, is the mag in the Savage 10FCM a "center feed mag" I have never laid eyes on one and am interested in buying one.I do want to use a extended mag.Doug

ellobo

It seems to me the 7.62x39 is about the ballistic equivelent of the old ..30-30 and shots should be taken at the equivelant distances on deer. 150 gr. bullets should work fine or those bullets specificaly made for the .30-30 which I use in lower loads for my .308 for woodland shooting at deer. IMR4895 seems to work well and my handloads are about 2300FPS. I would not take shots over 150 yds which arnt usually found in woodland shooting anyway. Had a fatal hunting accident here in NH a few days ago. Wear your hunters orange, he didnt.

El Lobo

Eric in NC

Quote Originally Posted by ellobo
    It seems to me the 7.62x39 is about the ballistic equivelent of the old ..30-30 and shots should be taken at the equivelant distances on deer.
    Lots of folks say that but my experience is that the 30-30 can throw the 170 grain bullets about 75-100 fps faster than the 7.62x39 can throw the 150 grainers so lots more energy on target with the old cartridge.

Goes to about a 150-200 fps difference when using either 125 or 150 grainers in both cartridges. So the 30-30 is a significantly better deer killer (my opinion of course) but the 7.62x39 is certainly adequate.

I do agree with using the 30-30 bullets in the 7.62 (if yours has a .308 bore) - they will open up at the low velocities where the "new" style (bonded, all copper, etc.) might not.

thomae

Sorry it took me so long to reply, I've been busy.

Carvera: The bolthead measures about .450" using my calipers. I replaced the extractor detent ball with a larger one, but I do that on all my Savage rifles. I have had no issues with extraction or ejection.

canon6 : Yes it is a center feed detachable mag. It holds 3 rounds. Not 4.

ellobo: I am getting 2230 - 2250 FPS with 28.8 grains of 4895.

ellobo and Eric in NC: Yes, many compare the 7.62 x 39 to the 30-30. I am not really comparing and I am certainly not trying to assert that one is "better" than another. I am not trying to prove anything. I simply wanted something a little different to suit my needs and this seemed to fit the bill. Plus, I have a considerable amount of ammunition on hand hat I can shoot through it if I choose. Perhaps not ideal, but a 154 grain softpoint, even if manufactured in China or Russia, should be able to bring down a deer at the distances I anticipate. I am working on handloads that have more than enough killing power (1000 foot/pounds) out to any range I can anticipate needing. If I come across a longer range situation, I'll simply have to use my stalking skills to get closer. :) 30-30 bullets would certainly be appropriate, but I have the partitions and they should expand at any speed above about 1600 fps (IIRC), so I think I am still good. The x39 case doesn't really have the capacity to throw heavy rounds very far without a lot of arc, so I am probably not going to go above 150 grains unless I decide to try developing a subsonic round for fun.

All the best to you and yours.
    Happy birthday USMC, and happy Veteran's Day to all who have honorably served your country.

Quote Originally Posted by thomae
    [size=8pt][color=purple]Sorry it took me so long to reply, I've been busy.

Carvera: The bolthead measures about .450" using my calipers. I replaced the extractor detent ball with a larger one, but I do that on all my Savage rifles. I have had no issues with extraction or ejection.
    So Savage is using a new bolthead on that rifle.

I was thinking that they might just use a .473" bolthead and maybe do something with a special extractor, but it sounds like a newer style bolthead altogether.

Basic Member

Will be nice if they sell the 7.62x39 barrel and bolt head. How well does it feed? .308 bore or .311 bore?

thomae

Quote Originally Posted by HankC
    How well does it feed? .308 bore or .311 bore?
    I have had no problems feeding anything through it. .311 and .308 all seem to feed well and shoot fine. Before I purchased the rifle, I contacted Savage and they said it was a .308 bore. I have not slugged it myself.

MrMajestic

Bought mine and ordered a Pac-Nor barrel match grade in 6.5 Grendel Match to screw on it. I mounted a 3-12X Burris EER scope and have been shooting it while I wait. It is sub MOA(.6 best) with the 110 gr. V-MAX AND 1680 in a Lapua case and ignited by a CCI BR-2 primer. I have been working also with the Barnes 110 gr. TTSX bullet and Nosler 125 gr. BT with VV N120 powder and may take it out after the holiday and try to yolk a Whitetail with it. Gotta love the light recoil but the long throat I could do without. No touching the lands and making magazine length. I have never tried the .310/.311 slugs but the throat would reduce any pressure derived by them in the .308 bore. I figure at minimum it will make a nice switch barrel when the other barrel is done.

thomae

Quote Originally Posted by MrMajestic
    It is sub MOA(.6 best) with the 110 gr. V-MAX AND 1680 in a Lapua case and ignited by a CCI BR-2 primer.
    Where do you get 1680? I have had trouble finding it locally in Centre County.
    Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving.

MrMajestic

Shyda's in Lebanon, west side of the VA Hospital.
    You and yours have a safe and happy holiday also, good luck Monday. I will be on Jack's Mtn. just west of Orbisonia in Huntingdon Co.