Thread: Which "brand" barrel? Of these three

Basic Member

Which "brand" barrel? Of these three

So if you were going to buy which one and why?
    Lothar Walther or Criterion or Shilen?
    Thanks
    T

Cover Dog

Re: Which "brand" barrel?

I have not tried a LW, but have both of the others. Both look good from the outside, but the bore scope tells me I should buy another CBI before I buy another Shilen.

Basic Member

I got a Douglas barrel from SSS and its a shooter. My next one is a brux.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

I really like my Krieger and Hart.

More important is a good chamber.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member

How about of three mentioned Although thanks for the hints

Basic Member

Re: Which "brand" barrel? Of these three

Shilen

Browningguy

I've only had Shilen and LW form the list, and either one makes a good shooter. The one I just installed on my 12 FV was a LW because they make exactly the barrel I wanted in a prefit, savage varmint profile, .243 Winny, stainless, 28", 8 twist.

Whichever one can get it to you quicker or cheaper. They are all about equal in quality.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Eric in NC

Had all of them but have never had a Shilen pre-fit nor a Criterion for a Savage (only used their M1 barrels - which are great BTW). All are quality products.

If you are buying a blank it is up to whoever chambers it for you (as was mentioned). If you are buying a prefit - its a wash - consider price and delivery as was said. Might give a tiny edge to Shilen but that may be due to the care of the guys that have cut chambers and crowned them for me.

Criterions have won two matches for SavageShooters members over this past year...and the price is hard to beat.

Basic Member

Any one of those could give you a nice shooter. What is more important is who chambers the barrel for you as was previously said.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

I have a LW varmint weight barrel in 6mm Norma BR, 28", 1 in 8 twist. It shoots fantastic out to 300 yards (farthest I've shot it so far). From the start I got very little indication of copper fouling. After 50 rounds break in, all copper indication disappeared.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

82boy

I would say that out of the three my fovorite is Shilen. I have found Criterion to be good barrel and I would say the quility is that of Shilen. Back in the day Shilen was the go to barrel for many benchrest shooters.

dmsc

I went with a Shilen from here: http://thebarrelman.com/ I had narrowed my options to Lothar(Sin-Arms), Shilen or Criterion. After two weeks and multiple emails to NSS and SinArms not being returned and barrelman returning all of my messages I picked Shilen simply because I was able to actually place the order.

Quote Originally Posted by dmsc
    After two weeks and multiple emails to NSS and SinArms not being returned and barrelman returning all of my messages I picked Shilen simply because I was able to actually place the order.
    Did you ever try to call NSS?

Basic Member

Thanks for all of your suggestions
    T

Better luck with calling Jim than e-mail. I have never had him not return a call the same day, and always helpful and courteous, although sometimes very busy, which is understandable. But if he's not already tied up with someone else, he will answer all your questions, no matter how long it takes, or how basic the question. Very good guy.
    I bought one of the first CBI's Jim had for sale a little over a year ago. I haven't been able to do as much load development with it as I'd have liked, but it does very well with the loads I have fed it so far. I've never owned the other two, but was considering a Shilen when I bought the CBI instead. I got mine when he initially offered them for $250, and at that price it was a steal of a deal. Still curious about the Shilen select Match barrels, though. You know, the grass is always greener... Would probably be thinking the same about the CBI if I had bought the Shilen. This is why Master Card loves me...

northlander

NSS here, I was dead in the water when my modem died last week. I just got my replacement modem up and running late last night. My e-mails are my second priority as now days with most guys I need to send four or more e-mails to answer the questions that one quick phone call will handle. If customers have a question it is much easier to call me at 763/682-4296. My current In Stock Shilen inventory has been able to offer most customers their caliber choice from my on the shelf stock.

You will have to call me to place your order anyway. I do not want customers sending me their credit card information via the internet. I do not have a secure e-mail sysytem and I do not want anybodies credit card compromised.

Jim Briggs
    NSS

ttfreestyle

I cant help but to give my experience here, Jim at NSS has spent a lot of time on the phone helping me in which direction i need to go and has been straight up with me. I have five of his Criterion prefits on Savages and have nothing but great results with them. My daughter has set two national junior records(Memphis Tn State 300 and 500 yards) and four straight F class open wins this year with 6br Criterion. The two 6brs i have are holding better than half moa at 600(havent tested past that yet). Great service with Jim and Criterion, i wont be switching any time soon.

Basic Member

Jim is absolutely the person you want to talk to. If it takes a little while to get through, then wait your turn. He knows what he is talking about and has actually talked me out of purchases in the past.

I've owned a Shilen and a Criterion and I sold the Shilen, am still shooting the Criteron. They are an excellent barrel, ignore the fact that they are reasonably priced and just look at the success that people are having with them.

Call Jim, order a Criterion and then post your tagets here, you'll make us all happy.

dmsc

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUP
    Quote Originally Posted by dmsc
    After two weeks and multiple emails to NSS and SinArms not being returned and barrelman returning all of my messages I picked Shilen simply because I was able to actually place the order.
    Did you ever try to call NSS?
    No, he has email as a valid form of contact listed in his contact information. I am sure Jim is a great guy and offers excellent service and all that. I never said anything negative. I simply posted my experience. It appears he is keeping busy enough that my single barrel order isn't going to make much difference either way.

ttfreestyle

Quote Originally Posted by Northlander
    NSS here, I was dead in the water when my modem died last week. I just got my replacement modem up and running late last night. My e-mails are my second priority as now days with most guys I need to send four or more e-mails to answer the questions that one quick phone call will handle. If customers have a question it is much easier to call me at 763/682-4296. My current In Stock Shilen inventory has been able to offer most customers their caliber choice from my on the shelf stock.

You will have to call me to place your order anyway. I do not want customers sending me their credit card information via the internet. I do not have a secure e-mail sysytem and I do not want anybodies credit card compromised.

Jim Briggs
    NSS

Looks like Jim has been experiencing computer problems as he explained in the above post.