Thread: Hello all! I just bought my first Savage. I need some input.

trevor73402

Hello all! I just bought my first Savage. I need some input.

Hello,

I just purchased my first savage rifle. Its the 12FV in .22-250. I have been into hunting and shooting all my life and Ive always been a remington and weatherby guy. over the last year ive taken an intrest in long range hunting and shooting. I recently purchased a Mod. 700 SPS in .300WSM that Im building into a 1000 yard gun. Ive heard so many good things about the new savage rifles and the how good the accuracy is. So I found myself wanting to build a new long range varmit/coyote rifle in .22-250. I looked at just about every brand on the market and I came back to the Remington and the Savage. I really liked the Mod.700 VLS, but I wanted to give the savage platform a chance. I looked at the 12BVSS and the 12VLP and almost bought the 12VLP, but this was going to be a hunting rifle as well as a bench gun and the shiny stainless steel action/barrell was a big negative mark for me in both these models, but they are both truely beautiful guns to look at. I wanted the savage platform, and I wanted a 26" blued heavy barrell so my only option was the 12FV. Ive looked at these in the shop several times and my main complaint about the 12FV was the very cheap stock/flimsy stock. So I will be changing the stock out with a B&C Medalist Tac/Varmit as soon as I get the gun in my hands and confirm the measurments on the spacing between the bolts on the bottom so I know which model to get as noted on the "Stocky's" website. I think with the new/better stock this gun will work great for what I want it for in both hunting and punching paper. I do my own reloading and I'll be working on a load for it. Im going to try the load that I use in my browning just to see how well it shoots since I already have alot of these made up. Now I have a few questions for the members on here.
    1.) Is there a certain Scope base that seems to work well/better on the savage action? I already have a set of burris Xtreme tactical heavy rings that I plan to use.
    2.) Opinions on the basic 12FV?
    3.) Any other modifications that need to be made on this rifle to help with accuracy? Im looking to get at least 1/2" 5 shot groups at 100 yds and hopefully a little closer to 1/4" with the upgraded stock and a good handload......is this within reason for the rifle?

Any and all opinions are appreciated.

Thanks,

jlcpls

Re: Hello all! I just bought my first Savage. I need some input.

1) no. Get the optic you like best.
    2) loved mine
    3) with stock upgrade and proper handloads, you're subMOA goal is possible, if not probable

trevor73402

Thanks for the reply.

I wasnt talking about the Optic itself, rather I was referring to the "base" as in scope base. Ive used some Nightforce bases on a couple of rifles, but wasnt wanting to spend the $100+ dollars for another one on this build.

I've got a Warne tactical on my 12F, and I think (?) a Burris 2pc dual dovetail on my bvss, and a Burris 2pc dual dovetail on my Stevens.

Back to your factory stock. You may just want to shoot it first and see how it does. My Stevens with the crappy factory stock shoots great. At least get a baseline accuracy first before you go changing things on it.
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

For a great 1pc base without breaking the bank get a EGW rail. If you want a steel base then look at a Ken Farrell or Warne base.

For 2 pc bases the Warne or Burris steel 2pc bases work very well.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Woodser

I have the exact same rifle in 223. The only modification I have done is glass bed the recoil lug. It will put 5 shots in 3/8" when I do my part. I see no need for an aftermarket stock, or anything else for that matter.

Ditto the above on the scope base.

82boy

Welcome to the site.
    To start what do you consider long range? if you plan on shooting over 300 yards with it you may want to order one of the models with a faster twist barrel, or replace the barrel. I would get a 1 in 9 twist barrel.

9 times out of 10 the gun will shoot .5 inch 5 shot 100 yard groups out of the box. Every Savage I have ever shot would.

trevor73402

Quote Originally Posted by 82boy
    Welcome to the site.
    To start what do you consider long range? if you plan on shooting over 300 yards with it you may want to order one of the models with a faster twist barrel, or replace the barrel. I would get a 1 in 9 twist barrel.

9 times out of 10 the gun will shoot .5 inch 5 shot 100 yard groups out of the box. Every Savage I have ever shot would.
    Thanks again for all the replies....They are appreciated. I will check on the EGW and the Warne. I looked at those the last time when I bought the Nightforce base. As for "long Range" with this particular gun Im talking about 300-500 yards max since this is going to be primarily a hunting rig. I didnt see the 12FV offered in multiple twists and Ive already ordered it so Im just gonna stick with it. Plus all the other model 12&#39;s that I looked at that I liked all had stainless barrels and thats something I didnt want in this setup. Im excited about it and I think it will be a great gun.....If not I can always sell it and start over. As for the comments about not replacing the factory stock, its just something that I&#39;ll have to do to be happy with the gun. Maybe a mental thing and i know that sounds crazy, but I do not like the plastic factory stock at all. It does not feel good to me and I personally feel it is way to light and flimsy for the action and barrell that it is holding.

Anyway Im glad to be a member here and Ill post some pics of the rig as soon as I get it all set up and ready to go.

Afy

I have a LPRV in .22-250 and it easily shoots sub MoA at 100 meters, with a wide variety of loads. I use sierra bullets in 52, 55 and 60 grain along with LR Primers, N-150 and Varget for powders.

If you have Lyman manual, the accuracy loads in there actually do deliver.

The NF base is excellent, as are thier optics. The rifle will surprise you pleasently as far as accuracy goes.