Thread: Weaver 'Kaspa' scope 'review'.

n4ue

Weaver 'Kaspa' scope 'review'.

I know there is a short thread about the Kaspa scope in this section, but........

I have seen this scope being advertised for some time. Like all my firearms related purchases, I did as much internet 'research' as possible. Since I have 32 scopes, of all price ranges (no S&B, NF), I like to swap them around....
    What I found out is, while there were a lot of ads for these models, almost no hands-on comments.
    Anyway, I found a NEW Model 849811 4-16X44MM SF with the "Ballistic-X reticule.
    A seller on eBay had a dozen or so for a great price and they went fast. Comes in a pretty yellow box with "Weaver - since 1930" all over it.
    It's 13" long and very light. Fit/finish is very nice as are most newer scopes coming out of China. Make NO mistake, it is Made in China. I don't let this bother me, since some of my most modern electronic test equipment is made there.

The glass is OK (for this price range) eye relief gets close at 16X and eye position gets VERY critical at max power. The side focus is great. Turrets? Mushy in the extreme! You can just barely tell you are moving the reticule controls.
    The weight, clarity, etc made me think of a new Nikon Monarch 4-15X44MM SF I kept for one day. Just didn't feel 'right'.
    Nothing functionally wrong but for $400+ the Nikon just didn't cut it. But it did have nice turrets, ha ha.
    (On a range evaluation, everyone who looked through the Nikon (and 4 other scopes), always picked the Center Point 4-16 scope, as "best". There were some young eyes there. The Nikon was the most expensive and did not come in at the top). It went back the next day.

Back to the Weaver, it's competition the other day was a Millett TRS-1 4-16X56MM SF. There was no comparison. The Weaver might be OK on a .22LR but it certainly does not deserve a spot on any of my Varmint rifles.

BUT, after all, we're talking about a $100 scope...... As has been said SO many times before: "Ya get what ya pay for"....

ron

DKENNEDY951
    Thanks for the review. I was looking for a no bs review and you provided it. Thanks

Dee

Basic Member
    good article, saved me some money. always wondered about those scopes and thought about trying one out someday, not now.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the input. I always thought the Kaspa looked a lot like the Simmons Master Series. Probably the same scope just with a different name on it since ATK owns both brands.