Thread: Anyone using Vortex Crossfire II?

Wtlj

Anyone using Vortex Crossfire II?

Hi fellas I'm building my second 10/22 which is a off hand plinking/steel/squirrel gun. I already have my bench 10/22 so this will only be for offhand. I've spent days reviewing scopes and the last 3 I've narrowed it down to are:
    Vortex crossfire II 2-7x32
    Nikon prostaff 2-7x32
    Nikon prostaff 4x32

I'm really leaning towards the vortex and have a few of there other products which are amazing and the warranty is awesome. I just can't find many reviews on the scope. I found a few bad reviews on version I but not the newest model II.

rmdailey
    I saw one at academy yesterday (3-9 model) It seemed comparable to other scopes at that price range. It should be fine for a 10/22. You cant beat a straight 4x scope on a 22 IMO. If it's only offhand the vortex red dots might be an option.

stangfish
    I put them on my pellet rifle.

rmdailey
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    I put them on my pellet rifle.
    I always heard a pellet rifle would destroy even the best rifle scopes? If you're alluding to them being junk, I've read not so great reviews on them. But for a 22 it would be fine. I've had a $30 Tasco Proghorn 4x on my 10/22 for 15 years.

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by rmdailey View Post
    I always heard a pellet rifle would destroy even the best rifle scopes?
    A spring powered air rifle recoils both ways (backwards and forwards) in very short succession, because of the mass of the spring and piston moving inside the rifle. This can wreak havoc on a scope not designed to take this type of stress.
    A PCP (pre-compressed pneumatic - i.e., compressed air) or CO2 rifle does not have this same kind of two way recoil and is much easier on scopes.
    Last edited by thomae; 06-17-2013 at 10:04 PM. Reason: clarity and correct definition of PCP (not angel dust!)

Wtlj
    Quote Originally Posted by rmdailey View Post
    I always heard a pellet rifle would destroy even the best rifle scopes? If you're alluding to them being junk, I've read not so great reviews on them. But for a 22 it would be fine. I've had a $30 Tasco Proghorn 4x on my 10/22 for 15 years.
    I've read nothing but good reviews so far on the Crossfire II, you must be referring to the original crossfire.

Wtlj
    I checked both the nikon and vortex out yesterday at bass pro however they didn't have the magnification I was looking for. To be honest I think the vortex had better glass and they were both stamped made in Philippines. I also called vortex and they explained the crossfire II was completely redesigned. Does anyone have a vortex II 2-7x32 that can tell me where it says it was made. I'm concerned about buying one Online and receiving a made in china scope.

stangfish
    A PCP (pre-compressed air) or CO2 rifle does not have the same kind of recoil and is much easier on scopes.
    Thank you thomae.

Wtlj
    Update: thanks for all the help guys. I couldn't decide between crossfire and prostaff so I bought both! The nikon has won the spot on my off hand rig and the crossfire was returned for a refund.
    The crossfire was a very good looking scope but the nikons crystal clear glass and better eye relief was perfect. I also couldn't stand how hard the power ring was to turn on the crossfire.
    I really like the vortex products and have a few of there other products however this is there lowest line made in china and didn't cut it for me.

stangfish
    That glass is clear for the money eh?

Wtlj
    Yes, super clear for the money. It's no high end leupold but in its price class it's awesome.