Thread: First Deer

Onceinawhile

First Deer

Well my son Dustin, aka Rooster, decided this year he wanted to start deer hunting. We spent the summer building him his own rifle even though we have plenty of rifles around the house a man needs something to call his own. I like Savages and have built a few so we went with the savage platform.

I found a used Savage .270 at a pawn shop to start the build with. After a lot of research and discussion we decided to go with the 260 Remington caliber and a Criterion Barrel. We refinished the stock and put it all together and worked up a load with 120 gr Sierra SP and Varget powder. We pulled off the Mueller scope off another rifle and put it on his and he was good to go.

He had rules for hunting in the afternoon. If he shot a deer it had to be a buck and the rack had to be wider than the deer's ears. I thought this would eliminate having to clean a deer at night as I didn't think he would see a big deer. Boy was I wrong!

He called me about 6 pm last night and asked me to come help him load up a deer and assured me it was wider than his ears and it certainly was.

He was hunting a small food plot along a power line. About 5:30 a doe and yearling came out to the power line and milled around. He was enjoying watching the does and and looking for the buck he thought would be near by. Sure enough about 5:50 the buck steps out onto the power line. Rooster waited for the buck to present a broad side shot and dropped the hammer at 5:58. The buck droped to the ground then jumped up and ran about 20 yards into the woods where he fell over. The shot entered about mid way of the left side ribs and exited just in front of the back right leg.

The rack measured 18 1/2 inches inside spread and is a 9 point. He was so proud and his ma and I were just as proud. Now its off to the taxidermist.

That1guy

Re: First Deer

GREAT first deer! He's spoiled now!

The pic is hard to tell, but that guy looks old and ready for harvest.. Might have been bigger at some point in the last 2 years.

DFW PI

Very nice deer

bbradford71

Hell of a nice first deer!

Real nice Buck !! He may have to hunt awhile to top that.

Basic Member

Congratulations. Beautiful buck!

Basic Member

Well, I read this and saw the picture, browsed some other things and came back because that is one heck of a deer! Congratulations! All that work payed off. Nice deal.
    Couple rf's, couple cf's, and 1 12g.

Everything I once held dear
    I count it all as lost

Nandy

Nice buck! Now he has to outdone that...