Thread: Building your own stock

mugsie

Building your own stock

Hope this belongs here - if not please feel free to move it wherever is appropriate.

Has anyone built their own stock. I'm looking at prices and going into sticker shock. Truthfully, I don't see all that much difference between a top of the line stock vs. an economical one. I realize the stiffness is a major factor, but the "higher" end ones all appear virtually the same. For instance, HS Precision, Manners, Choate, McMillan - they all have aluminum bedding blocks. Aluminum is aluminum. Of course the exterior shell will be somewhat different, but to vary a few hundred dollars between them? Doesn't make sense other than they charge what the market will bear.

I was wondering if it's possible to make my own. Not refit a tupperwear stock, although that may be an option, but to actually rough cut one from a block of wood, then take the grinding and sanding from there. Inletting is going to be tough, but has anyone done it?

What were the frustration factors and what was the result?

tinkerer

Re: Building your own stock

I've done it. It can be done with a drill and router and hand tools. A micrometer or good accurate steel ruler help, also.

Once you have your blank, I would lay out on top the outline of the action and barrel along the centerline. Now you need to drill holes for the action to the depth necessary. Be careful, and maybe a little shy of the final depth. Now finish it out with hand chisels.

Now do the barrel channel with the router. A external guide for the router is a good idea. Again, finish by hand.

Now, if you have done a good job and have your pillar holes drilled, install the pillars in the action and drop in with some cabon black on the bottom to mark the high spots. Cut them out and now you're ready to start on the outside. Its possible, but not a extremely easy job. A mill and drill press make it much easier.

There are several tutorials available at youtube.com.

Or get a pre-inletted stocks from Richard'snd and do the final inletting.

Larry
    Tinkerer

bbradford71

I understand what you are saying, I too thought the same thing when I first got into this but the reality is that there is a big difference in quality between all these stocks. It is like a car, yes they are all cars and yes they will get you from point A to point B but the quality of the car (think Toyota vs Mercedes) is what justifies the price tag for certain models.

Just my thoughts

ellobo

Sounds to me like you are in a cash bind. Me too. I ended up with Boyds stocks on a couple of rifles for under $100 ea. They come in walnut and laminate, finished and unfinished and will fit the new centerfeed stocks. They have three models for Savages and for an extra $50 will checker the stock. These are not tactical or benchrest stocks, just very good huntrer type stocks. The laminate come in many colors. All are drop in style, bery little if any fitting. The newer actions with a different bolt release may need some fitting. I dont think they have one for the accustock models. Check thier website to see if they have something that will fit your needs. I plan on at least 2 more, one for a Mauser and one for a Savage 110. I have been happy with the ones I have.

El Lobo