Thread: Accu-Triggers How many different types Need Help!!

Basic Member

Accu-Triggers How many different types Need Help!!

I own (3) Savage Target actions guns with red triggers. I can adjust the down to 3 or 4 ounces. I just bought a new model 16 Wearher Worrier in 6.5 Creedmore. I could only adjust this trigger down to about 2 3/4lbs. So I called Sharp Shooter supply and bought (2) target trigger springs figuring that this would fix the heavy trigger problem. It didn't !! with the target springs I was still only able to get the trigger to 1LB 9oz is there anyway to get this trigger down to 5 or 6 ounces????? without buying SSS custom trigger???

Re: Accu-Triggers How many different types Need Help!!

The difference between the red blade trigger and the other triggers are actually not in the trigger. It has a different sear which allows it to have the lighter trigger pull. The red color is basically just there as a reference.

What you bought was a varmint trigger spring, which allows the standard trigger to go down to around 1.5lbs. The only way to get it down any lower(safely) is to buy a target action sear.

As for the types of triggers? There are basically three versions.
    1- standard accutrigger with a standard spring(adj from 2.5-6lbs)
    2- varmint accutrigger (which is a #1 with a lighter spring, and is adj from 1.5-5lbs.)
    3- target accutrigger, which is a #2 with a red blade and a different sear, and is
    adj from 6oz-2lbs.)

For me atleast, I think that 1lb9oz is a pretty good trigger weight for a carry gun.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

ellobo

In my not so humble opinion, a 6 oz. trigger on a hunting rifle is a disaster waiting to happen. Any triggr that can be lit off by a stiff breeze should not be in the woods on a cold day with cold fingers. 2 lbs minimum should be the norm unless you have a dble set trigger.

El Lobo

Basic Member

i used my varmint sear when i installed a red blade trarget trigger on my tigershark and its set at 8 oz.

Basic Member

That is the beauty of having a Accu-trigger is you can have it 6oz when shooting at the bench and have 2 pounds when hunting. But it is sure nice to have it light when sshooting off the bench.

ttfreestyle

so how many different sears are they? will they interchange?

Basic Member

TAG

Basic Member

Re: Accu-Triggers How many different accu-triggers ( cured problem)

After a little thinking I decided to see if I could fix the sear my self. First I cleaned off all the lube installed bu Savage with swabs and carberator cleaner then put a small dap of valve grinding compound on sear and notch that it sits in and proceeded working trigger firing it about 150 times. Then I cleaned of all the valve grinding compound and re lubed the sear and notch. I was making great progress know the trigger broke at a clean 15ozs I repeated the process a second time. Go easy and check offen after first applacation!!! This time I might have gone a little too far trigger wouldn't cock at all with accu-trigger active. After screwing in spring 1 turn it was at 8ozs with accu-trigger disangauged. It was possible to adjust it lower but bolt had to be closed very easy or firing pin would drop when bolt was closed so 8ozs -9ozs is about as low as it can be set still with accu-trigger disengauged. This will work fine off the bench and then you can adjust the trigger up 2 to 3 pounds and engauge the accu-trigger for hunting. I don't think it is as good as the factory target 6oz trigger but close and a easy fix for bench work only!!!! I was very happy with the results. I do not take any responability for this information you do it at your own risk.

airaddict

I modified the accutrigger sring on mine and got it down to about 14oz. but i did have to close the bolt very carefully or it would go off but the little tab safety would catch it.
    I ordered a spare unmodified spring from SSS so i would have one for hunting. Those little springs are super hard and it took a lot of trial and error to get the right amount clipped off and rebend the little part upwards that fits in the little hole under the tang. Its do-able but u just gotta be careful. If you really wanna get a good trigger for bench work or varmints, save ur time and money and get one from SSS. Nothing but good things ive read about them. JMHO.

Brian

Basic Member

i'm hoping to some day get one of mine t&t with thier eveloution trigger installed just hate parting with my babies for that long a time

bbradford71

I installed the SSS Competition trigger on my Savage 16 last night, it is a very nice well made trigger. I will say that it is very crisp and I had no issues with installing it or making the needed modifications. As nice as it is it has about the same trigger pull as the Accutrigger does and I still would like it to be a little less. I am headed to the range tomorrow to test it out and see how it performs, if I do not see any great improvement then I will probable put the Accutrigger back on and change out the spring with one from a bick pen like many others on here have described. Does anyone know how to keep the bick pen spring in place as the spring on the Accutrigger has a smaller diameter on the bottom of it so it will thread into the hold on the trigger?

Brent

Basic Member

you should be able to adjust the SSS trigger quite a bit lower than the accutrigger
    I had some trouble with adjusting mine, went back to the instructions, adjusted each screw in sequence and have a nice trigger now
    a small amount of turning on the set screws changes things a lot, go slow
    Jack

airaddict

I thought SSS did their gunsmithing by u getting on the waiting list and when ur turn comes around, then u mail off ur items w their authorization number and when they get it thats when they get to doing the work u want done. Thats how i understood it when i spoke to lisa. Maybe someone who has had work done by them can confirm or clarify how they do that.

Brian

bbradford71

That is my understanding as well. I did not send them my gun, I purchased the SSS Competition Trigger and received it in the mail yesterday and installed it.

I followed the instructions to a "T", the sear tension screw and the trigger pull screw are screwed out as far as they can go without falling out so unless I am mistaken it is on its lowest setting for both. You still have to apply some pressure on the trigger to release the sear and fire the weapon. I do not have a gauge to test it but I would guess it is around 2 1/2 pounds.

If I am incorrect please let me know so I can enjoy this new trigger.

Brent

Basic Member

I am not sure about the terminology but did you adjust the sear engagement screw?
    I think instructions stated that most of the adjustment would be done with it
    I am working off memory as I do not have instructions in front of me, but I think it stated that factory sear engagement was normally .025"
    and stated to not adjust engagement less than .010" for safety
    Hope this helps, maybe someone more familiar with this will chime in
    I am sure if you could contact SSS they would help you with any questions/problems
    Jack

Basic Member

Accutrigger mod

Quote Originally Posted by k80skeet View Post
    After a little thinking I decided to see if I could fix the sear my self. First I cleaned off all the lube installed bu Savage with swabs and carberator cleaner then put a small dap of valve grinding compound on sear and notch that it sits in and proceeded working trigger firing it about 150 times. Then I cleaned of all the valve grinding compound and re lubed the sear and notch. I was making great progress know the trigger broke at a clean 15ozs I repeated the process a second time. Go easy and check offen after first applacation!!! This time I might have gone a little too far trigger wouldn't cock at all with accu-trigger active. After screwing in spring 1 turn it was at 8ozs with accu-trigger disangauged. It was possible to adjust it lower but bolt had to be closed very easy or firing pin would drop when bolt was closed so 8ozs -9ozs is about as low as it can be set still with accu-trigger disengauged. This will work fine off the bench and then you can adjust the trigger up 2 to 3 pounds and engauge the accu-trigger for hunting. I don't think it is as good as the factory target 6oz trigger but close and a easy fix for bench work only!!!! I was very happy with the results. I do not take any responability for this information you do it at your own risk.
    Just did this mod to my Accutrigger for BENCH REST SHOOTING ONLY and really like the results. the trigger is a little touchy and will occasional let the sear fall up against the sear safety but the very light pull and break is awesome. I pulled the trigger one cycle of 100 pulls and felt that was enough. i then had to increase pressure on the spring for reliable function

i know this is an old thread, but i was just wondering if anyone who has done this mod has seen any long term affects on the trigger function or useable service life.

Basic Member
    an update on this mod. i finally got hold of a Lyman trigger pull gauge and i have managed to get this 10 FCP-SR Accutrigger down to about 10 ozs of pull weight