Thread: 7mm RUM to 6.5x284 Question?

sight

7mm RUM to 6.5x284 Question?

Hello,

I have a left hand action 7mm RUM that i am planning to switch out to 6.5x284, my question is what bolt face / bolt head do i need to make this conversion.

I used the search function and didnt come up with much. Thanks guys!

Basic Member

Re: 7mm RUM to 6.5x284 Question?

The 284 cases use the standard .473 bolt head.

mutwagn

Quote Originally Posted by sight
    Hello,

I have a left hand action 7mm RUM that i am planning to switch out to 6.5x284, my question is what bolt face / bolt head do i need to make this conversion.

I used the search function and didnt come up with much. Thanks guys!
    Man, I wish I had one of those, my left hand 111 action that was a 270, wouldn't need any thing to swap, and that RUM would be a sweet beginning for a 338 Edge, or just a 338 RUM.
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by mutwagn
    Man, I wish I had one of those, my left hand 111 action that was a 270, wouldn't need any thing to swap, and that RUM would be a sweet beginning for a 338 Edge, or just a 338 RUM.
    Andy
    Not really, between the CRF and the mag box it is still too short for decent long range RUM or Edge bullets.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have it too. Just not for a long OAL round. It would be perfect for a Sin or 375 Ruger based round.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

sight

so just a http://www.midwayusa.com/product/639...06-springfield would work to properly change the UltraMag bolt head to the standard?

Yes, but you'd have to drill out the firing pin hole. Or, you could swap in a small firing pin assembly and small hole bolt head retaining pin.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

sight

do they make a large hole bolt face in standard size bolt head to fit the 6.5-284

They don't make them anymore, but they are very common. It is also very easy to drill one out.

But, even easier, is to spend $20 for a small hole retaining pin and small firing pin assembly.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/761...small-hole-100

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/630...er-magnum-blue

Then, you don't have to worry about any bolt heads.

sight

Geargrinder:

From my understanding and looking on the information provided at Sharp Shooter Supply. I was under the impression that my UltraMag was already the small firing pin. Thus It would just be a standard sized bolt face I require. My only concern was that the Ultra Mag bolt is currently a controlled round feed bolt head, which differs from most savages, and is also a standard ejector rather than spring ejector. So if i was to purchase the bolt head i previous listed would i also have to purchase an extractor and ejector assembly?

I think the firing pin could be either size depending on when it was made. I've had CRF long actions with large pins, never a small.

Correct, you just need a complete 30-06 bolt head with extractor and ejector. When you swap bolt heads you'll also need to remove the trigger retaining pin to remove the standing ejector.

That's about it.