Thread: How much adjustment needed when mounting new scope?

Basic Member

How much adjustment needed when mounting new scope?

Well this is all stemming from my new purchase of a new model 25 in .223 with the thumbhole laminate stock.
    Optics are as follows (all new); mounts that came on the rifle, savage signature rings, Leupold 3-9x40.

First trip to the range with no offset inserts used and I couldn't hit paper even at 50 yards. A couple weeks later and two sets of offset inserts purchased, I put both of the 20" offsets on in the appropriate manner to bring the poa and poi closer together. After all the above, it was still shooting over 10" high.

A bit uneasy about this. Haven't contacted Savage yet and was wandering what most of you have experienced with new set ups being off and off how far??? My scenario seems like it's a bit off of Savages standards??? Then again I don't know what there standards are. Looking for input and curios about others experiences.
    Couple rf's, couple cf's, and 1 12g.

Everything I once held dear
    I count it all as lost

Basic Member

Re: How much adjustment needed when mounting new scope?

I have no experience with the 25, but this issue seems to come up a lot on Savage rimfires that come with bases, so I'd say whatever company produces Savage's bases leaves a lot to be desired.

Like I mentioned, I have no experience with your model rifle, but if the bases for the front and rear are the same, try taking them off and switching them; back one to the front and front one to the back.

Also, I used to have issues like yours with various brands of rifles until I started using either 1pc Picatinny rails or Burris Dual Dovetail bases and the corresponding Signature rings. I've started using 1pc Picatinny rails and quality rings on just about everything, and now it's very rare I ever need more than 5 MOA in any direction to get a 200yd zero.
    [b]A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire (1694-1778)[/b]

Basic Member

Cool deal, thanks for the info, so about 5 moa for 200yd zero.

and I had someone else always bore-sight my other rifles. this is the first one i'm zeroing in from scratch. i'm gonna start the whole process over again to make sure i'm not messing something up. The more i look at it, the more i think it's me not the gun. lol. I did think about a 1 piece picatinny rail. I havent checked it out much, the model 25 stuff seems to be a bit less popular than the 10/110 (& etc) models, due to it being priced higher and not being as modifiable/adaptable. anyways, back to square one. i'll post back with results sometime this week hopefully.
    Couple rf's, couple cf's, and 1 12g.

Everything I once held dear
    I count it all as lost

hcpyro13

before I had the equipment to bore sight I used the low tech method of pulling the bolt and looking down the barrel at an orange dot at about 25yds then adjusting the scope to about the top. This usually worked to get me on paper to make my fine adjustments.

-Jake

Basic Member

I recently had a similar issue with a Savage 12 VLP. Ran out of scope adjustment and was still a few feet low at 20 feet! Sent the rifle back to Savage and they replaced the barrel. I haven't seen the gun since it has been returned or any explanation but the gun was brand new so there was some type of factory defect. I'm not saying your situation is the same, but it does happen.