Thread: My 2011 Utah LE elk

Basic Member

My 2011 Utah LE elk

Nov 12 opening day at 430pm........not the biggest bull we saw.....

But he's my trophy........we tracked him and a bigger bull all day...jumped

them from their beds 6 times....took this one in his bed @ 90 yds with my

Savage 308 Whitetail Hunter using 180 gr Swift bullets.....never knew we were

there......this time....more later...(me on the right...Tracker Jeff on left)

S/shot Savage & heavy Pac Nor's rock !! 'JM' Marlin lever gun nut !

bbradford71

Re: My 2011 Utah LE elk

Congrats, he is beautiful

Senderofan

Don't think it matters that he wasn't the biggest bull you guys had been tracking. He's still a great animal and will make an awesome mount...should you decide to do so...Congrats!

Wayne

Basic Member

That should fill the freezer nice ;D. Congrats man
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Way to go!

Basic Member

Even with the broken off right side second point....

Rough measurement is 338......

Taxidermist has him now.......meat at the locker

pic shows broken tine...

romulus

It sure is fun taking game with a .308 when there are Lazzeroni, ultra-mag, Weatherby, and Dakota's floating around the woods. ;D

Congrats on your successful hunt.

Basic Member

Man that is nice! Getting an elk is on my Bucket list.

Quote Originally Posted by teebirdhyzer
    Man that is nice! Getting an elk is on my Bucket list.
    Mine too.

Nice harvest there A.I.U. Glad to see you are putting your retirement time to good use.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Basic Member

OK armed,
    I am the Savage police, and here to tell ya you have to put the elk back. You shot it with a (hello) "WHITETAIL HUNTER" rifle, not an elk hunter rifle!!!! And a puny 308 at that. Good grief, can no one get it right anymore? ;D

Seriously, that is one nice elk to be proud of, and when ya can jump them that many times and STILL sneak to 90yds and nail him in his bed? Outstanding tracking and stalking job.

Congrats!
    That is one beautiful animal, I hope the elk did not complain for getting shot with a 308. wow, that is some great tracking.
    newbie from gr, mi.

woodsman416

Great bull! Nothing wrong with the old .308 ;D

MWalker

Awsome elk. Congradulations!! I absolutely love hunting Utah. I had the oppertunity to draw an Early LE Elk tag in the Fishlake Unit back in 08. It was the best hunt of my life. Brings back memories everytime I see someone elses picture of one and there story. I enjoy watching the hunting show's too but it means more when you draw the tag and harvest on public land. Not to mention my brother wash with me and my parents came out to camp with us.

fyimo

Great looking Elk and some hard work getting to where you made the shot.

My Elk from our trophy hunt in Colorado in 2009. We waited 18 years to finally draw an early season trophy hunt tag.
    [img width=960 height=768]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/fyimo/Arts7X6Elk.jpg[/img]

Basic Member

Nice bulls too guys !!!!!!!!!

Basic Member

Armed
    A friend just approached me a few days ago, requesting we trade hunts. A Ca mule deer hunt for him, and he will take me to where he hunts elk in Utah. He goes after the late season cow tags in south central Utah.

I was wondering if you know of anything special I should be aware of for that area? I have a 30ft 5th wheel I was considering towing to Utah to act as base camp, but that will depend on funds available then (I am retired) and fuel costs. I am not sure even how far away I would have to base it, as I do NOT plan on taking it onto dirt roads. My truck is 4wd but if the roads get sloppy I have no desire to try and pull out a 5th wheel, so paved parking and access for it are a must. It's a light one (5K dry) meant for pulling behind 1/2 ton trucks, and I pull it with my '06 Tundra. So far so good. Any info or referrals would be appreciated.

I just printed the 2012 application booklet to peruse for more details.

Thanks.

MWalker

Here was base camp the last time I hunted late season cow in Utah. The river was still frozen when we got to it but my brother drove through it first.

[img width=955 height=768]http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr90/mwalker1978/IMG_0124_crop.jpg[/img]
    Is it a limited entry mule deer hunt in CA?

Basic Member

Nice looking rig. Everything looks beefier than my stuff, truck included. No, it the lower "A" zone along coastal CA. If you have a map, I hunt and live in northern San Luis Obispo county. It's just called north county around here. This area's a lot more rural than south county.

Are the quads a necessity? I don't own one. Where do you drive from?

MWalker

Quote Originally Posted by handirifle
    Nice looking rig. Everything looks beefier than my stuff, truck included. No, it the lower "A" zone along coastal CA. If you have a map, I hunt and live in northern San Luis Obispo county. It's just called north county around here. This area's a lot more rural than south county.

Are the quads a necessity? I don't own one. Where do you drive from?
    I thought the deer in that area were considered Blacktail? I have never hunted the area. I have drawn for X9a a couple of times.
    The quads/rhino make it much easier to get around. Most locals don't put that much effort into cow hunts. If they can't shoot from the truck then they don't want it. Atleast that is what I few have told me. All that snow fell the day before the opener. It was -10 opening morning. Would have been nicer in a truck with heater on. We drove right past guys in pickups because they could not go any further because of a foot of fresh snow. That year 4 of us filled our tags 5mins into opening day. With the quads/rhino we were able to get to where the elk were. We spent the rest of the morning quartering up the elk. They were still a few hundred yards off the hillside from the trail our quads were on. Another storm came in and the snow was falling so fast that it was covering our tracks as we were hiking back and forth from where our elk lay and our quads. I think there is a time and place for quads/rhino but it is always nice to have just incase.
    I drive from Disneyland and it takes me about 13hrs driving straight through towing my trialer. What unit does your buddy hunt?

Basic Member

Not sure what unit he hunts, but will ask. He lives down by the Ventura area. We came across each other at the wedding of a son of a friend of ours, and was his nephew in law.

The the X zones are about 300 miles north of here. The blacktails are more in that area, mixed with the mulies there. I asked and these are mule deer. They are fairly small, compared to something like a Colorado mulie, or even the ones farther north.

Sounds like those quads, while maybe not an absolute necessity, were certainly worth their weight that trip. Ten degrees huh, burr, that's cold. Quite a change for this area. Of course, it's been in the 20's here in the mornings. My well pressure switch froze up two days ago, had to use the heat gun to get the switch to work so the pressure pump would come on.

I will email him to see what zone it was.

Basic Member

I asked and he said mainly areas 578, 579, and 580, Mt Dutton area.

MWalker

I have never hunted Mt Dutton but know a few that have. Heard it has limited access. I usually hunt the Boulder or Fishlake units. Both have been hunted hard the last few years. Both u it's have been shut down from time to time. Any good public land to hunt pigs in your area?

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by MWalker
    I have never hunted Mt Dutton but know a few that have. Heard it has limited access. I usually hunt the Boulder or Fishlake units. Both have been hunted hard the last few years. Both u it's have been shut down from time to time. Any good public land to hunt pigs in your area?
    According to Fish and Game here, less than 1% of the pigs are taken on public land. The pigs like the cooler temps west of the mountains, and that is also where their favorite food, the acorns, happens to grow. There aren't many trees on public land here, at least land that isn't a park, and where there are trees, many are not oaks. On top of that, the going rip off rate, around here for pigs is $500-600 per.

MWalker

Isn't it crazy that they want that much money for a pig? They say that they are a nuisance yet nobody will let you hunt them unless you are willing to pay good money.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by MWalker
    Isn't it crazy that they want that much money for a pig? They say that they are a nuisance yet nobody will let you hunt them unless you are willing to pay good money.
    It's not crazy, it's called GREED, pure and simple. I figure if we stay off their lands and don't pay these ridiculous rates, eventually the pigs WILL be a nuisance, enough so that they will offer hunting them for a reasonable fee. MOST I have researched on the net, were guided hunts, and possibly a big portion of this is a guide fee, don't know. Maybe they could offer unguided hunts, but I doubt it. I'm sure the guide wants his hand in the till.