Thread: Savage model 99 lever action

forger

Savage model 99 lever action

Why has Savage not re-introduced the model 99..I know there would be a demand for it. Is it too difficult to machine economically ? Will the 99 action not take the pressure of the newer rounds ?

Basic Member

Re: Savage model 99 lever action

You answered your own question. It is the machining part.

ellobo

That action has been chambered in some modern cartridges like the .308 and .300 Savage. Modern techniques could lower the price of making a 99 but Savage isnt set up for them like wax casting like that used by Ruger in thier rifles.Most of the 99 parts could be made that way. Verylittle machining needed, mostly polishing. I hope they can someday do it. I had one once in .308, wish had it back.

El Lobo.

Basic Member

saw one for the first time at gander mtn today. interesting little gun. chambered in .300savage can't remember the price on it though.... looked sharp.
    Couple rf's, couple cf's, and 1 12g.

Everything I once held dear
    I count it all as lost

forger

Now that Remlin and Marlington are having problems, another one I would like to see reintroduced is the old Savage 219. I had a 219L which would shoot like gangbusters. My Marine Sgt grandson now has it (22 Hornet) and treasures it. The original 219, without the little side lever (219L) was a very sleek looking design, more like the European "stalking rifles"..
    Now that neither H&R or Rossi are struggling , a reintroduction of the 219 would seem timely.
    http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278045

Eric in NC

One of the issues with both the 99 and 219 (besides machining, hand fitting, etc.) is that neither is really suitable for the cartridges that are "popular" now. 7mm WSM, Ultra Mags, 7mm Rem Mag, etc. are where it is at. Deer have become armor plated in recent years!

forger

Quote Originally Posted by Eric in NC
    One of the issues with both the 99 and 219 (besides machining, hand fitting, etc.) is that neither is really suitable for the cartridges that are "popular" now. 7mm WSM, Ultra Mags, 7mm Rem Mag, etc. are where it is at. Deer have become armor plated in recent years!
    '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''
    I guess to hear some say it, deer have been upgraded in the armor departrment. Nobody has told me though and surely nobody has told the deer.
    With my 30/30 most deer have been "bang-flop". My grandson has gotten 3 deer with his .44 mag H&R this year..2 were bang-flop, one ran 40 yards.
    As far as the action, TC and H&R can make theirs strong enough so it seems Savage could do it. With interchangeable barrels, they could have their dealers stock extra barrels and se;; them as upgrades. I can visualize some folks having a basic action and adding barrels; up to half dozen or so.

fyimo

I gave my Grandson my Dad's 1953 Model 99 Savage in 300 Savage and he killed his first Mule Deer doe with it and his first cow Elk. Now he hunts with a Remington 700 bolt action in 270.