Thread: Model 99 in 358 Win.

cherokee5425

Model 99 in 358 Win.

A friend of mine just inherited a Savage model 99 in 358 Win. Can someone give me some history of the 99 in 358 Win? I have read that there where several models of the 99 chambered in 358 Win. How do you tell the difference between models? Thanks in advance.

Team Savage

Re: Model 99 in 358 Win.

99's chambered in 358 were all post 1955, and came in several models;

Pre-1 million ser # (lever safety) could be an EG (with the schnabel forend), or an F (with the barrel boss at the rear sight dovetail)

post 1 million ser# (slide safety on the rear tang) could be an F (as above), or a C (clip model), or DL (with a raised comb), or A (finger grove in forearm), or E (with a lever safety, and impressed checkering)

No mater which model he's got, it's a sure-fire venison-getter!
    Jeff518

Eric in NC

And sure fire slobber knocker!

Jericho

I believe Savage made some 358s in the 99R and 99RS also.

cherokee5425

Okay, my friend got back to me. It's a Model 99F, serial #923112. Unfortunitly it is D&T. Could someone give me an idea when it was made and value. Thanks

Eric in NC

Should have come from the factory drilled and tapped for weaver style bases so unless there are extra holes or holes for a side mount that isn't a problem. The F (lightweight) model adds to collectability (but makes it even more of a slobber knocker in 358).

Can't help you on date - some time in the late 50's. Need pics or VERY detailed description to begin putting a value on it. $800 and up (potentially way up) if it is in good shape and doesn't have any mods.

Basic Member

I have a 99F in 358 and it is the best rifle I own. The Fs were drilled and tapped at the factory and a good clean one is in demand.

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.