Thread: Loose bolt handle

carpet1

Loose bolt handle

I am looking at a used, plain , Savage 110 in 30-06. It will be used as a base action for a prone rifle. My question, the bolt handle has a lot of loosento fix.ess either cocked or not. Should there be play [looseness] of the bolt knob? Can it be fixed by replacing a new bolt knob? I can get it cheap, but don't want something that will be expensieve

Re: Loose bolt handle

My uncle had a similar problem with his 30-06. Handle was loose when he got it, also trigger pull was incredibly stiff with lots of creep and overtravel after the break. Took my allen set over to his house and tightened up the rear Bolt Screw and adjusted the trigger (his has a 3-screw trigger) and it was like a whole new rifle.

I will bet if you tighten up the screw the handle will loose the play it has now.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Is that allen screw left or right hand thread? I tried to take mine apart but it was really tight and I didn't want to break something.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

ESSCEE

+1 with boots it may be a big slotted screwdriver BAS if it is oldre though.

bbradford71

The Bolt Action Screws are torqued extremely tight at the factory, I layed mine on the ground and used my feet to loosen while using a Allen wrench, I read about doing it that way somewhere on this board, worked like a charm.

carpet1

This one has a slotted piece for a large screwdriver, if I remember.

Eric in NC

Those are hard to get tight enough. Need a BIG screwdriver to fit the slot correctly and crank down hard enough so that it won't back out when you work the bolt. The hex design is much better but I have a couple with the slotted bolt. Had one that kept backing out until I put my shotgun stock bolt screwdriver on it and got it gorilla tight.

carpet1

Standard twist, or reverse threads

bbradford71

One thing you can do is when you tighten up the screw apply a little blue lock tight on the threads of the screw and tighten as good tightly as you can, the blue lock tight will keep the screw from backing out and getting loose. You can also go to Brownells website and purchase a new Bolt Action Screw and replace the existing screw, not sure but might be able to replace it with one that has the hex head.

Brent

Eric in NC

Quote Originally Posted by carpet1
    Standard twist, or reverse threads
    Standard

stangfish

FYI... Left hand threads are rare on any type of gun. The are usualy associated with something that rotates continuously in a direction that would/could loosen the screw or nut.

Quote Originally Posted by bbradford71
    The Bolt Action Screws are torqued extremely tight at the factory, I layed mine on the ground and used my feet to loosen while using a Allen wrench, I read about doing it that way somewhere on this board, worked like a charm.
    +1, the first time you have to break one loose, it's the best way to do it. I'd replace the old slotted head BAS with a hex head.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

carpet1

I went ahead and brought it for $250. Tightened the screw, no problem. Cleaned the barrel, shot a few shots to get it on paper, and shot 4 shots in one ragged hole at 100 yds, with one outside by 1/2". Couldn't believe it, the wind was 20 mph. Now I don't know whether to keep it as is, or convert it to F class. Thanks for all the help