Thread: Prairie dog hunting in SD

chz

Prairie dog hunting in SD

My buddies and I are looking at making our third trip to South Dakota this coming spring to go prairie dog hunting and I was curious if anyone had any suggestions for places to go.. We have hunted with guides both times before as we don't have any connections to hunt on any private land and are a little unsure of the public land.. Essentially we are looking for maximum dogs to shoot.. Any suggestions for areas to go or guides/ranches would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks..

Re: Prairie dog hunting in SD

PD's close in March on public lands and don't open until June 15th. Only to shoot them is on private land during those times. Either way, shoot me a PM if you head out that way, a day out shooting is always a good time.
    More shooting, less typing.

jwolf

Go to Winner SD. I have hunted several times there, but the last trip was 2001. I always hunted on the Rosebud Indian Resorvation. The Native People were very nice and invited us back every year. The last time I hunted there it seemed the ranchers were all charging a fee to hunt private lands. But the Native People would not except any payment even though we offered.

Basic Member

I believe the times have changed.
    Charlie
    laportecharlie

Team Savage

+1 on times have changed. I stopped at the Red Bud reservation a couple of years ago. You had to get a permit and hire a Indian guide.

louthedog

Yepper, gotta hire a "guide" ::) and buy a res license. "Guides" ::) will set you back $60-75 per day per man. Other than the cost there is some excellent shooting there.

pd721el

I am a SD resident and used to Always buy the $110.OO Lower Brule Res license to shoot while the public ground is closed. This year it was a complete joke. The tribal law states that the Native land owners cant charge you if you are properly licensed. However they were running people off and asking for 70-100 a day to shoot the ground we were already licensed to shoot on. We spoke to the Game manager and he told us we were crazy and that doesn't happen. There was a large group from Missouri there at the same time and they were really pissed. I've hunted there for years but wont be back.

fatdaddy

Yepper, gotta hire a "guide" and buy a res license. "Guides" will set you back $60-75 per day per man. Other than the cost there is some excellent shooting there.

I would like to give red bud a try in the spring. How did you find a "guide" you could trust...Just pick a name off a list? Can you recommend the one you hired? thanks, Bill

louthedog

If you are looking for a guide and a place to stay try Charlie at Salt Camp Cabins. On the Rosebud and very nice cabins. He will get you in contact with reputable guides. We used Leroy Running Bear. He is/was the president of the Rosebud guide association and knows and follows the proper rules. He will stay with you all day (as they are supposed to do) and range and spot for you. Good guy. Don't know his phone number offhand otherwise you could contact him directly. Best to call plenty early to book.

http://www.saltcamp.com/