Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To brake or not to brake

Basic Member

Re: To brake or not to brake

I don't use brakes on anything where I don't need them to shoot comfortably. To me they are just one more variable. You add something to the barrel that can potentially hurt accuracy, or it can increase accuracy, or it could not do either one. You're basically adding something that affects gas flow similar to how the barrel crown influences gas flow, as well as introducing a weighted object to the barrel which changes the harmonics. It all depends on how straight the muzzle is threaded, how precisely the brake is made, and how the barrel responds to the added device. I prefer to just keep it simple and forego them for most uses.

On the other hand, I have no problems with brakes, flash hiders, or porting and will use them when I feel they are of enough benefit to introduce that variable to the shooting system. For rifles, pistols or shotguns that recoil heavily, I am often willing to go to porting or a brake for more comfortable shooting. For ARs, AKs, and similar weapons I may employ for self defense, a flash hider than helps reduce the blinding muzzle flash in low light means more to me than a potential accuracy loss.
    [b]A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire (1694-1778)[/b]

bowhunter42

Re: To brake or not to brake

I'm ALL for breaks. I have one installed on my 300WM and is the only way to go. My girl friend's 12 year old daughter has shot this rifle and shot it well. This rifle is used for both long range target shooting and hunting, I have learned to wear ear plugs loosely in my ears and when its time to take a shot, I just push them in a little tighter. It has worked petty good for me this hunting season. I have also noticed when im wearing ear plugs and behind the rifle, Its like being in the zone and im more prone to make a great shot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12