Thread: Whatta ya think about the Choate stocks?

mugsie

Whatta ya think about the Choate stocks?

I'm looking for a tactical / Benchrest stock for my latest build - Shileen heavy barrel in 6mm BR, Varment action with 4.4 screw spacing and a DBM and accutrigger.

I'm looking at several stocks and having a difficult time coming to a decision. I have the Choate stock on my 308, and it's a nice heavy stock with an aluminum bedding block, but I would like something with an adjustable cheek piece, however once I start getting into that style the price shoots way up. I used the SSS LVT stock on my last build, and while it's an extremly well made stock, the wait I experienced is something I don't want to go through again, however I may still buy another one and grit my teeth on the wait. I also like laminates for the look. The Choate is some kind of injected molded black stuff and the cheek peice is a glue / screw on hump that has a fixed height, so I don't use it.

Any suggestions or ideas as to which stock may fit the bill? Type of shooting? strictly target, 100 - 300 yards mostly, occasionally 500 - 600 when I can get out to the longer ranges.

Thanks....

Re: Whatta ya think about the Choate stocks?

Guess I'm not sure which Choate you have, But my Ultimate Sniper has choices for height. They screw on.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

hank440

I have my savage in a Choate tactical stock and I use a karsten saddle cheekrest, it works great

like this

http://www.tacticalworks.com/Karsten...t-A-Model.html

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,40228.0.html

I have had a Ultimate Varmint and the Tactical versions from Choate and both worked well. I liked the Ultimate Varmint better overall, the grip on the Tactical just didn't feel right to me.

As far as Laminates go I am very happy with the two of the Hart LRT's that I got from Stocky's. They work well for general use, but I will say that the forend is kind of rounded and works great with a bi-pod, but doesn't ride all types of bags perfectly.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM