Thread: Gave Savage a shot, and it's growing on me.

patd

Gave Savage a shot, and it's growing on me.

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum. I have been long range shooting, in one form or the other, since 06. I was looking for a back up rifle to my 6.5x47, when I came upon a stevens 200 270 at Academy for 179 dollars. At the time I had an extra 30 cal mike rock medium palma blank and SAS brake collecting dust in the closet. So I bought the Stevens and starting planning my next build. Of course all I wanted was the action, so I tore the rifle down. I found that timney makes triggers for these Stevens, cdi makes bottom metal, and Manners inlets stocks. So here you have it, a nice 30-06.

With the only let down on this rifle being the cdi bottom metal. I am still trying to get this rifle to feed properly, but this rifle is starting to grow on me. I like the three position safety, and floating bolt head. This rifle no longer has a barrel nut, which looks to be a sin around here, but I didn't see the need for one considering I already had the blank. After having tried the 208 amax, 155 scenar, I have settled so far on the 175 sierra matchking at 2888 fps. I am also going to try the nosler 190 custom competition. This rifle will be used for everything from hunting hogs to inside 1200 yard ukd shooting. When my 6.5x47 gets sent off for a rebarrel, I know this savage will keep me up and running.

I just found this forum and really appreciate all the knowledge found here. Looks like at least one more savage will be in my future. I'm thinking this next one will a pta action in 338 edge.

Basic Member

Re: Gave Savage a shot, and it's growing on me.

Welcome Pat.... We can forgive the nutless aspect. Looks like you put together a very nice rig. Luck, Tim

gotcha

No barrel nut !! surely plagues, pestilance & locusts will follow. ;D........... Welcome. Nice lookin' rig.

Have fun and good luck with your new toy patd.

Welcome to the Savage forums! Very nice build. You'll find in the future the barrel nut is an asset when you want to build a switch barrel rig.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member

You can't have just one. That's the way I started and I think they are breeding in my gunsafe. welcome
    16-223, 10 223, 10 FCP 308, 111 30-06, 110 30-06, 111 6.5x55, 112 338-06/6mm Rem, 110 300 WinMag,

patd

Thanks for the welcome guys. I'll try to keep this updated with the progress of trying to get this rifle to feed from the magazine and final load development. Like I said, these savages are starting to grow on me. Can't wait to get the 338 edge project up and running.

D.ID

Quote Originally Posted by stumpjumper400
    You can't have just one. That's the way I started and I think they are breeding in my gunsafe. welcome
    ditto

Team Savage

Yep.... it's going to require counseling.... ;D
    MSG, US Army (R)/NRA F Class Match Director/NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    "The Nut behind the Butt is Responsible for the flight of the Bullet!"

SMK Shoe

You are still in the first stage. Wait until you are planning a future build while you are planning the next build while you are modifying your last build. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Quote Originally Posted by SMK Shoe
    You are still in the first stage. Wait until you are planning a future build while you are planning the next build while you are modifying your last build. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
    AMEN!
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Team Savage

watch it they multiply like rabbits

ellobo

You stated something to the effect "sending it out for a rebarrel". Why when changing barrels so easy with a Savage. Removing the nutless barrel may be a problem but that is a one time problem. To become a member of the "brotherhood of the Barrel Nut" you must have a barrel nut. It is part of the mystique of Savage that confounds Remington owners in particular and gunsmiths all over the planet. Almost flawless headspacing with just guages, no reamers required. Even Remington, Marlin and I think Mossberg are now making models with a nut. Learn to love thy nuts.

El Lobo

Quote Originally Posted by SMK Shoe
    This is so true. I am finishing a couple now, and already have some supplies and parts gathered up for at least 3 more. One is never never enough.

To the OP: build looks good, welcome aboard.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Quote Originally Posted by GaCop
    Welcome to the Savage forums! Very nice build. You'll find in the future the barrel nut is an asset when you want to build a switch barrel rig.
    +1

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ellobo
    You stated something to the effect "sending it out for a rebarrel". Why when changing barrels so easy with a Savage. Removing the nutless barrel may be a problem but that is a one time problem. To become a member of the "brotherhood of the Barrel Nut" you must have a barrel nut. It is part of the mystique of Savage that confounds Remington owners in particular and gunsmiths all over the planet. Almost flawless headspacing with just guages, no reamers required. Even Remington, Marlin and I think Mossberg are now making models with a nut. Learn to love thy nuts.

El Lobo
    When my 6.5x47 gets sent off for a rebarrel, I know this savage will keep me up and running.
    The way I read it, the OP's new Savage build is a 30-06. Perhaps his other rifle (the 6.5x47 he mentioned) is not a Savage.

patd

Here is the way I see it. I had an extra barrel blank, in 30 cal, and a stevens 200 action. It was either send said barrel off to get chambered and threaded for a barrel nut, or send said barrel off with the action and have it all taken care of at once. I choose the later. Either way, I wasn't going to be the one who chambered this extra blank I had sitting around.
    And yes, my 6.5x47 is not a savage. It's a lefty stiller tac30, remington clone. Here is a picture of it for visual references. Sorry about the breakfast sausage in the background, but pigs are a constant source of tasty targets down here in Texas.

Again guys, thanks for all the welcomes. I promise I will buy a pre-chambered barrel for my next savage.