Thread: Savage Conversion to 6.5 Grendel questions

shuter

Savage Conversion to 6.5 Grendel questions

Hi guys,

First post here. I'm looking to build a 6.5 Grendel bolt action, and it looks like the 16 FHSS would be a good stainless steel option. I've pasted my post from the Grendel forum below. Any help would be much appreciated:

"Thoughts on starting with a stainless Savage 16 FHSS in .223 here: http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/16FHSS/ and replacing bolt head with a Sharps Shooters Supply part for the PPC, then a Pre Fit Pac-Nor Barrel chambered for "6.5 Grendel Match"? Looks like barrel would run about $415 + install, and bolt head about $75. Seems like a reasonable cost for a nice little low-recoil deer rig in stainless with Accustock, etc.? Thoughts?

One question is, would a Savage 16 action built for .223 likely feed 6.5 Grendel cartridges reliably? I'm looking at the hinged floorplate model probably, because of wanting to build a hunting rig."

Would I be better off going with a DBM version, so I could get mags in 7.62X39 or would .223 mags work? Or would something in the .308 family work better as far as feeding goes with the Grendel?

Thanks!

Basic Member

Re: Savage Conversion to 6.5 Grendel questions

It might, or might not. Grendel is a wider cartridge than the 223, so you might have to fool with feed lips to feed reliably.

The grendel seems like a good cartridge, but you would get more bang for your buck with 6.5 CM, 6.5x47 lapua, or 260. The grendel will not use all of the action space you have available in a Savage, as it was designed for an AR-15.
    Friends don't let friends use see through scope mounts. No offense.

AR-180

I really like the Grendel. But, when I went for my Savage build, I built a 260 Remington. I can use the same bullets as my Grendels, but I have a cartridge that is a lot more capable.

If you want to build the Grendel, the components look good. I would think a 308 style follower would work better, but you will have unused space at the back of the magazine. You will need to do some tweaking unless there is a PPC follower of some kind.

SMK Shoe

I also just ordered a 6.5 grendel barrel from the gun shack for 170ish. I figured that since I have a AR and TC Encore pistol chambered might as well a light weight varmit barrel to. I'm expecting to do some fire forming with this barrel shooting home grown 6.5 cast bullets at steels @ 250. Also gonna make for a good loaner rifle at the range. I'm really enjoying the 6.5 stuff. Two CBI 6.5 x 47 lapua rifle barrels and a couple of 6.5BR's. Components and powders are pretty interchangable.