I have a thought that's rolled around in the spacious area I call my head. My thinking is, that since the barrels for the 93 and Mark II are press fit, I wonder if anyone has ever thought of or actually converted their 93's to a swap barrel?

I envision it going something like this, pull the barrel from a 93, a 93 so it will handle the magnum pressures, and thread the OUTSIDE of the front of the receiver, and create a small notch in the lower front of the receiver. Next you would turn a .001" or so off the barrels that would normally be press fitted, and instead be a tight slip fit. The barrels would have a small lug,, so it fits into the receiver notch and a small washer where the barrel meets the receiver, brazed in place. Then a nut would be fashioned, that would slide over the barrel, and thread onto the receiver and against the washer, pulling the barrel tight against the receiver, yet making barrel, and thus caliber swaps a piece of cake.

One could easily swap from 22 LR to 22 WMR or 17 HMR or 17M2, just by swapping barrels. I think the magazines could be modded to work easily as well.

The lug on the barrel could also be a counter sunk hole in the barrel, so it would not rely solely on brazing to hold it. The lug would be necessary to maintain alignment of the extraction grooves, and the washer/nut combo, to maintain headspace.

Thoughts?