Thread: stainless media

ESSCEE

stainless media

Has anyone found a cheaper price on stainless tumbling media other than the 50 bucks they want at stm. I have found 7.50 a pound at buffalo arms but was wondering if there is a better price out there? Has anyone tried stainless steel brads as media?

Eric in NC

Re: stainless media

Don't think using media that is harder than my brass is a good idea.

airaddict

I know they had ceramic media for use w wet tumbling but i didnt know they had stainless......something new learned.....lol

brian

ESSCEE

Seen alot of it on the net just starting out reloading and was wondering about it seems the benifits would be no media in the primer pockets and cleaner brass inside too so far the downside that I have seen is that you need to dry or let the brass dry

You guys should see what stainless media does with grungy old brass. I've seen black nasty range pick-up brass coming out looking better than new.

The stainless pins do no harm to the brass. As said, it cleans the brass completely and everywhere even in the primer pockets.

The biggest drawback of the stainless setup is the cost. It needs to be done wet in a rotary tumbler. Rotary's don't come cheap.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Ramdiesel

Guy's that stuff works like you would not believe. Here is some 6mm brass I got from my boss. I was left in an old open building some of the cases was full of dirt. I tumbled them for 4 hours in corn media. Then I got my new stuff last week. Tumbled 4 hours in the SS media I got all teary eyed when I looked down and seen them shiny things. Lol Well I let you guys judge. It also cleans your primer pockets out I used to hate cleaning them out. I even bought a trim mate it made the job easier my hands would still get cramped up on the little cases. I got a Lee decapping & depriming die for $9 @ midway.

ESSCEE

I found a 2 drum tumbler each one is 3 pounds for $50 at harbour freight not as big as a thumlers but also nowhere near the price. Just wondering if anyone knows where to get cheap stainless media or if stainless brads would work.

Ramdiesel

Hi esscee It says on STM's web site under Tips at the bottom of the page. Not to use the round drum tumblers says you need a hexagon shaped drum. Why i dont know.
    You need a rotary style tumbler. DO NOT buy the MJR Tumbler, you need a hexagon shaped drum
    As far as the ss media i havent found anything cheap. Here is a place that sells in bulk maybe 4 or 5 of you can do a group thing.
    http://www.progresstool.com/pd_steel...media_pins.cfm