Thread: Scope recommendations please

Basic Member

Scope recommendations please

I just picked up a almost new Savage 12 in 308, fluted SS barrel. I need a scope to go with the rifle. I only have 100/200 yd ranges in driving distance. Looking for a budget (> $200) scope with magnification up to 24. I saw the Vortex scopes cameraland has, are they any good? I always used iron sights but am getting older (57) so it's scopes to see what I am shooting at.
    Thanks, Ken

Basic Member

Re: Scope recommendations please

hard to beat the 6x24x50 vortex crossfire for $99 at SWFA

Basic Member

I actually have one for a 223 rifle. I have heard they may not hold up on the recoil from a 308 so I was not considering one. If it can take the recoil I would jump on another one.

Ken

I had 3 of them and 1 8-32X50 and have sent 2 of them back for repairs and when one of them would not focus and Vortex offered to upgrade them to Vipers I jumped on it. My last Crossfire is on a 204 Ruger and my 8-32 is on a 25-06 BVSS.

Basic Member

mine is on a 25-06 with no problems

Basic Member

I mounted a 3-9x40 vortex crossfire on my brother's 30-06 and it holds up fine. Great scope for the money.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Quote Originally Posted by bythebook

I had 3 of them and 1 8-32X50 and have sent 2 of them back for repairs and when one of them would not focus and Vortex offered to upgrade them to Vipers I jumped on it. My last Crossfire is on a 204 Ruger and my 8-32 is on a 25-06 BVSS.
    I had the same problem and Vortex offered a Viper as replacement, I couldn't refuse at the price it was offered. Great people to deal with.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member

makes me want to break mine, just to get a Viper.lol

Basic Member

Thanks for the feed back.

Ken

dacaur

well, for hunting this year (my first time) I picked up a simmons whitetail classic mil-dot scope from midwayusa. its going to be on sale for $109 during their tjhanksgiving week sale. I have it mounted on a .308 and its held up fine, with no change in POI through around 300 rounds....

Basic Member

I picked one of the Simmons Whitetail classics up last year for a savage 10FP, haven't mounted it yet or shot it. It has excellent reviews. I went with a Mueller 8.5-25 eradicator. I should have it by the weekend.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by keeki
    hard to beat the 6x24x50 vortex crossfire for $99 at SWFA
    +1 and they have excellent "no BS" customer service.

hcpyro13

+1 on the Vortex Vipers. Love mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Captk
    I picked one of the Simmons Whitetail classics up last year for a savage 10FP, haven't mounted it yet or shot it. It has excellent reviews. I went with a Mueller 8.5-25 eradicator. I should have it by the weekend.
    Ken
    I have two of the Mueller's, good scopes for the money. I've never used their customer service so can't comment on that.

Basic Member

If you want a really good used scope for about $150-$200 and have seen them for $250 Bit I paid anywhere from $125 to $175 Look for a Japenese Tasco with fine crosshairs and a dot. I have 6 of them I wouldn't have 6 of them if they weren't as good as I say they are even though they were made years ago they are still in demand you will see them once in a great while. The glass is as good as anything made today they were way ahead of thier time. But if interested make sure you specify Made In JapanI have (2) 24x44, 36x44, and the rest are variable 6x25x44, and 8x32x44, If you visit the 6BR sight that is where I got most of mine, I put a WTB post for Japenese made Tasco Targets scopes. As far as repair work if needed thier is an outfit in Florida ABO that reapirs them I only had to have one repaired and I bought it broke and knew it needed repair. Maybe I shouldn't tell everyone this good information. Good Luck with whatever way you go. Now for a good scope new for a little over $200 I recommed Bushnell or Mueller I also have 1 Bushnell and 2 Muellers no problems with either.Of course I have Leupolds, Burris and Sightron scopes they are high dollar, but the afore mentioned scopes are just as clear as the high dollar scopes LOL
    A great civilization is not conqured from without,until it has destroyed itself from within. In God We Trust