Thread: Savage 12 in 6mm Norma BR

Snowwolfe

Savage 12 in 6mm Norma BR

Greetings to all of you. Been a long time lover of Savage rifles and have owned several and still own a SS lefty in .223 which is a tack driver.
    Looking to purchase a really accurate rifle to play with off the bench and am seriously considering the model 12 in 6mm Norma BR. Did find a thread where people discussed the .204 Ruger on this platform.
    Looking for feedback on this rifle in this caliber and appreciate anyones comments.
    Thank you

Snowwolfe

Re: Savage 12 in 6mm Norma BR

The only Savage rifle forum on the net and no one owns a 12 in 6mm BR? WOW Am thinking I should buy something else! lol

82boy

I did a article on this rifle if you look in the articles section.

You have to remember two things: First, please be patient, not everyone lives on this site, so give them a couple of days for a reply. The second thing is, this is a very expensive rifle, and most people would rather build a rifle that better suits them for the same amount of money or less.

Basic Member

Hi Snowwolfe

I've got a 12F Savage in 6mmbr and I am very pleased with it, however it started life as a 12F in 6.5x284 and I have since fitted a Shilen select match barrel in 6mmbr. It has 1in8 four groove ratchet rifling with a .272 neck. I'm not sure what the factory tube in 6mmbr is like but I'm very pleased with mine. Its a great caliber if you've never used one.

If I lived in the US I would certainly go the build it your self route - It took me eight months to get my barrel from Shilens to me in the UK but well worth the wait.

Quote Originally Posted by 82boy
    the second thin is this is a very expensive rifle, and most people would rather build a rifle that better suits them for the same amount of money or less.

BINGO!!
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

tropicmaster

I dont know about a significantly less expensive rifle, but for a little less money you can build one that is a LOT better! My recent build came in well under $1k, and is miles ahead of anything factory from any manufacturer, even Savage itself. I was highly sceptical of all the " build it yourself" posts on here when I first joined, but I am now a firm believer! I would hazard a guess that pretty much any of the rifles built by the guys on this site ( including mine) will shoot right next to, if not in front of the big dollar, big dog customs.

Snowwolfe

You have to remember two things First please be patient not everyone lives on this site so give a couple of day for a reply, the second thin is this is a very expensive rifle, and most people would rather build a rifle that better suits them for the same amount of money or less.
    Thank you. My dealer is charging me about $850 for the single shot delivered. But if I can save some coin would be interested in building one as well.
    What is a ball park figure to build one?

Can anyone post a web site or two of places that sell actions? The stocks and barrels I have covered.

tropicmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

You have to remember two things First please be patient not everyone lives on this site so give a couple of day for a reply, the second thin is this is a very expensive rifle, and most people would rather build a rifle that better suits them for the same amount of money or less.
    Thank you. My dealer is charging me about $850 for the single shot delivered. But if I can save some coin would be interested in building one as well.
    What is a ball park figure to build one?

Can anyone post a web site or two of places that sell actions? The stocks and barrels I have covered.
    I bought all of my parts off of this forum. The actions came from fellow forum members, the stocks from Stockys, and SSS. and the barrels from Northlander. If you look at the main front page you will see sections for " Member Classifieds" and "Sponsor Classifieds" The member classifieds is where I found and purchased both of my actions that I built. You also need to click the sponsors banner page- This will give you links to all of the sponsors, not just the ones who have threads in the classifieds. This forum is a true " one stop shop" ! lol

ETA- Like I said earlier you wont beat the dealer price by a lot if you build, but what you end up with will be MUCH better than the off the rack rifle you get from a dealer. Now that I think about it that is not entirely true- If you built with a used, or take off factory barrel you could tear up that $850, but you would not have a premium custom barrel, and it would probably shoot just like a factory rifle. That might be good enough for you, wasnt for me.

Snowwolfe

Could you post a photo of what you built, costs involved, and most importantly, how does it shoot?

Thank you for the tips.

tropicmaster

I am walking out the door to a party with my wife, but will be happy to in the morning. If you search on my screen name you can find all the pics and threads, including group photos. There are many many others on here besides mine, but I will check in in the morning and post the info you asked for if you have not found it yourself.

Snowwolfe

Found the threads. Great looking rifle and nice groups to boot!

fatdaddy

Hey Snowwolfe,
    I have built 4 rifles this year, so far...2 of which were 6mm br. 1 was a stevens\savage action and 1 was a model 12 in stainless. I got the stocks from stockys stocks, 1 Boyds thumbhole, 159.00. 1 was a bell and carlson medalist tactical,229.00. Got 1 trigger from midway, a rifle basix. The other trigger is from SSS, freds competition trigger. Just under 100.00 each. The barrels are both 28" mcgowan from Jim at northlander. Just over 300.00 each...Both these rigs will shoot under .5 MOA all day. I just cant see myself buying a rifle and shooting it as it came out of the box....Bill

Snowwolfe,
    A recent Handoader magazine had an article on the LRPV in 6mmBR 1:12 twist. The author used 10 different bullet weights and 6 different powders for testing. The average for all 97 groups was .456". Yep, that is for the whole test. Throw out the ones the gun didn't like and you are looking at something in the .3"s. Four were .199" or less, smallest was .179". 33 grains and 34 graqins of Varget under a 70 grain Ballistic Tips went .190" and .199" repectively. 70 grain bulets seemed to be the sweet spot as all the groups under .2" were shot with them.
    More shooting, less typing.

Snowwolfe

Me, like a dummy, must of discarded this issue. ALways seem to get interested in something after I discard the information I am looking for, lol.

tropicmaster

I am glad you found the threads and pics. You should look at others as well, most of them are better looking than mine. As far as cost I paid $300 for the action, with aftermarket trigger already installed, $320 for the barrel & recoil lug, and $100 for the stock. I don't have an action wrench or go/no go gages yet so I paid a local gunsmith $30 to install the barrel.

Snowwolfe

Decided to slowly get my feet with Savages.

Ordered the repeater and the rifle came in today and I am impressed. Very nice stock with a wide forearm for hugging the bag. Trigger is nice but could be lighter. Bolt travel is extremely smooth, unlike Savages I've owned in the past. Still waiting for the scope mount to come in from Brownells so I can mount the Sightron 6x24 and head out to the range.
    Hope I am not being premature but this is one nice rifle for about $900 delivered.
    Seems to fit me very well for shooting off the bags as I am a lefty and this is a right bolt, right port action. Stock has no cheekpiece.

Afy

I have a 6BR that I re-barrelled my self. I am consistently getting under 0.5 inches edge to edge with the 105 scenar. The barrel is 1:8 LW at 26 inches. I dont think you can go wrong with the caliber or the rifle.