Thread: Third shot off

rcreel

Third shot off

I have a 6mmbr on savage action with mcgowan bull barrel. I have tried a several loads using 107 and 105 bullets. The problem is most of the first 2 shots are in the same hole but the third is always off. I usually let the barrel cool for at least a minute between shots. How long do most of you wait between shots when trying to shoot groups. Any advice?

82boy

Re: Third shot off

First, are you shooting over flags? If not your wasting your time. With out a way to judge wind you are shooting blindly. Most times I shot groups, I try to shoot all five shots off as fast as I can. (With consideration to changes in light, wind, and mirage.) I try not to let the barrel cool down. On a cold day I fire a few sighter shots to put heat into the barrel, before I shot a 5 shot group. On hot days I limit the amount of sighter's I fire.

Second, what is the load you trying, and what is the twist rate of the barrel? Most 6mm BR's respond well to 105 a max bullets and a stiff load of varget powder. It may as well be that the gun don't like the load you shooting. Have you checked consitrisity of your brass? Is it alway the third shot? Segregate the flier brass away from the others and see if that helps. The question is just too vague more information is needed to truly diagnose the problem.

rcreel

Well I was vague on purpose. I just wanted to know if my routine made any differece. I have a 8 twist barrell. I have tried varget and rl15. There is no wind. Of course Lapua is the brass.
    Thanks

1Shot

Quote Originally Posted by rcreel
    Well I was vague on purpose.
    ...If that's the case. Then why ask the question at all...If you used both Varget & RL-15..It tells me you never got your powder charge right..Yes, your routine made a diff. you missed on the 3rd shot..

While I don't have a 6br, I did notice a similar thing with my 6.5x284 and Sierra bullets, only it was one out of 5, not 3. When I switched to Berger's, it went away. Maybe a different brand bullet? The Sierra's were 142 SMK's, and the Berger's were 140 vld match. That was with the same powder and primer, and with Lapua brass.

Don't know if that helps or not.
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

Basic Member

I&#39;ve had this also. It was recommended to switch primers. This worked for me.
    Integrity is easier to keep than to regain.

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by rcreel
    There is no wind.
    How do you know there is no wind? I have shot on days that was calm and caused me more headaches than I care to mention. Days when the wind is light are hard days to shoot. I have seen super nice groups charge drastically on calm days the only indication that was seen was one flag turn on it axis. Change in mirage can have drastic affects as well, and when there is no wind mirage can be bad, and hard to read.

ellobo

I have found that which direction a range points can make a difference with small changes in light conditions.
    I find a range that points north is best, east or west are the worst. Here near the Canadian border (150 miles) a south pointing range is the worst due to the lower sun angle early and late in the year. Just a wisp of a cloud can make a difference on any four of the directions. In all the years I have been on this forum I do not recall hearing light conditions mentioned, or variations in same, as a problem with shooting groups.

El Lobo

rcreel

I haven&#39;t tried berger bullets yet. I will get some. Primers are federal gm205m. I have found that I have to set a little off or right on the lands. I tried into the lands and groups spread out. I know this is not the case for most but I tried it several times and kept records and it makes a difference for me.
    Thanks for all the advice

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by ellobo
    In all the years I have been on this forum I do not recall hearing light conditions mentioned, or variations in same, as a problem with shooting groups.
    El Lobo
    You don&#39;t read all the post, do you?

Quote Originally Posted by 82boy
    I try to shoot all five shots off as fast as I can. (With consideration to changes in light, wind, and mirage.)
    I have mentions light condition changes several times, only to be told it don&#39;t matter, how can it make a difference, or that I was full of it. Yes light changes DOES make one heck of a difference.

El lobo you make a very good informative point, and I must admit I learned something from it. I had no idea (or thought of it) that direction of the range would make a difference in light, but you are totally right. This is an excellent tip. Thank you. I will now be more observant.

rcreel

Maybe the wind did change. The time I am talking about was in the evening in Louisiana were the wind seldom blows and there was no noticible wind. I had a fire smoldering and the smoke was going almost straight up. It was very very still. It may be the wind in many cases and I will be more aware of it.
    Thanks

Afy

I am currently getting a consistent sub 0.5 inch edge to edge five shot group with my 6 BR. However I am also getting about one caliber worth of vertical which is frustrating. I know the rifle is capable of better, since it has produced groups that are in the low teens center to center.
    With Varget, I have found that even 0.1 grains will make a difference in tightening up the groups, and I am currently attacking the vertical issue by upping my charge in 0.1 grain increments. Am also paying greater attention to shooting technique and hopefully will be able to shrink my groups.

In my limited experience once the gun is shooting sub 0.5 inch groups edge to edge, getting the groups tighter is a very frustrating experience. At 100 meters even a 4-5 mph wind is capable of blowing your groups out. As could a improper handling technique, too hard a bag, or difference in seating depth.