Thread: Hello, New guy on the block.....

Desertfox01

Hello, New guy on the block.....

Hello. my name is doug, I am a Gun Addict.......................of wait. wrong board

Well, recently dug a Safe queen out of the back of the safe. a Savage model 10 I bought from a friend a few years ago when he moved. Decided it was time to do something with this rifle. It is in the Choate Ultimate Varmit stock with a 2 scope base and a Super Sniper Scope on it. I have quickly decided that this stock is not for me, so next Wednesday my B&C Tactical Medalist will be arriving. Still need to get a 1 piece scope base for this rifle. it does have the Accutrigger on it, and I am happy enough with that trigger that I am not going to mess with it. I have also replaced the knuckle busting bolt handle, big improvement there. I am also going to find a good 1 piece scope base also.

I have gone out everytime this rifle was ever shot, so knew the history when I bought it, about 80rnds when I got it. The rifle always has been a MOA to a little under MOA shooting rifle, but nothing Fantastic.

I have been thinking about changing the barrel out when I found a Fire lapping kit in a closet I had forgotten about.........yes, can you see where this is going? So I decided, what the hell, factory barrel.........So I took it to the range and fire lapped it. the kit had pre loaded lapping bullets, so I did not have to mess with coating bullets or loading coated bullets. Took 3 Live fore Sessions for the whole thing with the cleanings. Since the scope had never been sighted it, I sighted it with the fire lapping kit at 50 yards to shoot a little low. surprisingly, when I went to 100 yards with full power factory ammo, it was just about on. I fired one shot, did a scope adjustment and then proceeded to fire 4 more rounds of FGMM 168 that all touched in kind of a sqaurish pattern. unfortunately I forgot to pack the target in the range box :'(. but I would say it was around a 1/2" group. Fired a group of S&B, but the rifle did not like that ammo....and it is not match so........after that I had to shoot another rifle and then ran out of time at the range so guess I am going to have to go back for more shooting. but so far, I am thinking there is an improvement. Now, I would not do the fire lapping to a high end barrel, it is not needed.

Next week I am going to thread the Muzzle so I can use my Suppressor. Don't know if I'll make a thread protector or get some sort of break for it, really do not want the increased noise back at me with this rifle. I am also thinking of doing some Duracoat in maybe OD. Would not mind smoothing the action out a little also.

Desertfox01

Re: Hello, New guy on the block.....

Also want to add, that this rifle has started out as a little older Savage 10FPLE with a 20" barrel.....and this Choate stock that is designed by Major plaster......will be going to gunbroker. it was all I could to not to take a Dremel after it.