Thread: Question on 110 Predator versus 111 Long Range Hunter

95huskers

Question on 110 Predator versus 111 Long Range Hunter

Hello, I'm new to the forum so take it easy on me. I have a few questions I'm wondering about.

I just purchased a Savage Long Range Hunter 111 in 6.5-284 Norma. I also have the 6.5-284 Norma in the 110 Long Range Varmint Rifle. My first question is are the bolts interchangeable between these two rifles? I like the bolt on the Predator a little better so I'd like to swap it over to the 111 if possible. If not, what is a good aftermarket handle to get and can I put it on myself without the need of a gunsmith?

Another question, I'm liking the looks of the Long Range Hunter so far....what kind of differences should I expect between these two models...anything noticable?

Last....how well has the on/off muzzle break been holding up? I'm a little bit worried about this as it seems like too good of an idea to be true. AND is this a threaded type muzzle break so I could put something different on down the road or is it integrated into the barrel?

I lied....NOW LAST: can I paint the stock on the 111 Long Range Hunter without doing any special prep work? I was going to look at epoxy and painting but it almost feels like the stock is coated?

Re: Question on 110 Predator versus 111 Long Range Hunter

I'll try to help a bit here....

I like the bolt on the Predator a little better so I'd like to swap it over to the 111 if possible. If not, what is a good aftermarket handle to get and can I put it on myself without the need of a gunsmith?
    DO NOT swap the entire bolt from one gun to the other as this may affect headspace if there are any differences in the bolt body length or bolthead. However this question seems like you are referring to the "Bolt handle" and yes those can be swapped and are interchangeable. There are many out there, the Tactical Handle from SSS is really nice, and there are some other really nice ones out there. Do a search here, there are quite a few threads regarding bolt handle options.

how well has the on/off muzzle break been holding up? I'm a little bit worried about this as it seems like too good of an idea to be true. AND is this a threaded type muzzle break so I could put something different on down the road or is it integrated into the barrel?
    It is threaded and can be replaced if it fails or you just want something else. Clean it once and awhile and it should hold up nicely though. My buddy ahs one and he turns it off and on a few times each time he goes out just to keep it from getting stuck and doing that has worked for him.

As far as the stock, I have not held the LRH yet, but if it is like most Savage stocks, just scuff it up with some 250 grit sandpaper and clean with solvent and primer and paint.

Hope some of that helps.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Basic Member
    Can’t swap bolts without reheadspacing the rifle. Bolt handle swaps are easy though. And plentiful. As far as differences I doubt you’ll notice any in regards to precision and consistency. I think the predator has a heavier barrel so it’s more suited for higher rates of fire such as a target application.
    The 6.5x284 is a screamer. If you shoot long range I cannot recommend the 136 grain lapua projectiles. They’ll stay stable even when crossing past the transonic zone. It’s the most consistent bulletin I’ve ever used.
    For anything past 1000 meters that’s the bullet you want.
    I’ve shot a pile of the nosler rdf projectiles too. For under 1000 meters they were barely acceptable. Ok for ringing steel but not punching paper.
    The Witt machine brakes have many happy customers. I’d try them first.