Thread: 308 shooting LOW

ecountry411

308 shooting LOW

I purchased the 308 EDGE with the cheap 3-9 scope combo some time ago. After trying to sight the gun in the scope ran out of up adjustment. 2 sets of bases, one free from Savage, and 2 set of rings on my Leup 8.5X25 I still did not have enough adjustment.
    I returned gun to Savage and got it back 12 days later with a slip that just said "repaired". The only thing I can see that they did was to clamp the cheap rings on the scope 2 or 3 times. Thank god I didn't send my Leu back with it. Very noticable marks from the cheap rings. It had a 3 shot group in the box that said 100 yards, it was .616.
    Ok, I think gun is fixed so I buy a set of Warne rings and put my Leu back on it and it is the same EXACT thing. Scope is maxed out in the UP and shooting about 3 inches low at 100 yards.

Savage already closed for the day, NOT a happy camper.

Basic Member

Re: 308 shooting LOW

put a straight edge across the top of your receiver, im betting its not straight.

ecountry411

Ring marks that wasn't there before I sent it to Savage.

[img width=573 height=768]http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j400/randyc411/Edge/007.jpg[/img]

[img width=573 height=768]http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j400/randyc411/Edge/010.jpg[/img]

[img width=573 height=768]http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j400/randyc411/Edge/011.jpg[/img]

About 0.040 difference.

Basic Member

thats what I was guessing. you could prolly get them to replace it or just shim it.

Garpo

This post made me run out to the garage and check my new .308. I’m happy to say that the basses are level with the receiver.

I’m surprised that Savage didn’t check to see if the basses were level. This would seem to be the most common origin of the problem. Also hard to believe they could be that far off. Just curious, do you have a good straight edge or a bubble level to check it with? I noticed you used an allen wench - not sure if that’s the best tool for the job unless certain that it's straight.

Garpo

From the photos It appears that the front base is higher than the rear base. I would remove the front base it to see if there is anything preventing it to fully seat to the top of the receiver, such as a burr. If no obstructions, remove both basses and check to see they are the same thickness. Yes, shimming would be a quick fix.

Basic Member

this is not that uncommon

Garpo

Quote Originally Posted by keeki
    this is not that uncommon
    So, when it does occur, what’s the reason? Warped casting? Cheap mounts? I plan on getting one in a .223 and will now check this before buying.

romulus

I made a list of questions and thought I posted it but I guess it didn't go through.

What types of bases are those? What have you tried? What was your procedure when you put them on the action?

I have a few more but that will suffice for now.

OR have you gotten it fixed yet?

ecountry411

Called Savage today and asked about the"repair" they done and she said the tech did not specify anything. She said it was not uncommone for the reciever to be off but not enough to keep the scope from being sighted in. She said the tech did not send it to the department to check the reciever either. Savage is having UPS pick it up tomorrow.
    Other info I checked.

Both sets of bases I have tried come from Savage and have S51 stamped on them. They both measure 0.222 on each end, not a base issue.
    Scope on the returned gun appeared to have been tightened down on the back base and then tighened down on the front more than once. Front ring screws were not as tight as back ring screws. Guessing they pulled it down tight enough to get it sighted in. Scope they returned was not maxed out in the up but close, around 24 clicks.

ecountry411

FYI
    I am using 178 gr Hornady A Max with 42.5 gr of Varget. Rem brass, win primers.

Garpo

Thanks for the update. Me being a new owner of a Savage Axis, I appreciate any information I can get on the quality and functionality of these affordable rifles. Keep us informed.

Savage 111

Had the exact same problem with my cheap sh!t savage edge. Ended up shimming the rear base since I'm in Canada and warranty service up here is a nightmare.

The shim was a little too big so it was not good for the tube. Ended up getting some burris signature rings and the offset kit and removing the shim.

What a false economy these rifles are! Cheap crap!

Sold it. Got a Vanguard. Couldn't be happier!

My 111 has many issues with the bluing and tons of residue from the hot bluing process that I can't get off. What a joke. Just sold it too!

Bought my second vanguard instead.

Garpo

Quote Originally Posted by Savage 111
    What a false economy these rifles are! Cheap crap!
    All I can say is that for $265 my .308 exceeds my expectations for accuracy and functionality. I like it so much I’m planning on getting another in .223.

Your mileage my vary.

DoubleUp

Maybe they just sell the cheap sh!t Savages to Canadians with the same type attitude.

Basic Member

really sorry to here about your problem. i have an edge in .223 and love it. i think i'd get some assorted sizes of shim material at your hardware store and shim it your self. don't tighten everything down too soon ,just use bore sighting to see when your cross hairs ar in the middle of your target when you have them centered in the scope tube. do it at just 50 yds or less. i think this will be a lot better than sending it in to the guys who worked on it before.
    don

Basic Member

Problem is not with the gun... it's the cheap bases.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Garpo

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter
    Problem is not with the gun... it's the cheap bases.
    Very well could be that. I didn’t like the spacing on the OEM bases so I put an EGW base on mine. Couldn’t be happier. ;D

ecountry411

Thanks for all the posts. The update about the gun is I recieved a call from Savage and they said that they got it sighted in and was returning it, this was the second time I sent it back. I asked them if they had checked the reciever and they said NO. I requested they check it and they said they would.
    Got a call from Savage last week saying the reciever DID NOT meets their specs and that they were going to send me a new gun. I haven't gotten it yet.

FYI
    It apparently screwed up my Leupold scope also. I cannot see any bending of the tube, but it would not sight in on another rifle. The up/down lost range or had deadspot. I sent it back and got a letter from them saying they are repairing it free of charge. Bad reciever = bad 8.5-25 X 40 Leupold. Scope 3 times more expensive than gun.

Basic Member

more guns are like this than you think, and not just economy savages. Ive seen actions that werent true from just about every mfg. When I go shopping for guns, I carry my little 6" scale with me.lol