Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 114 american classic 30.06

Eastman

114 american classic 30.06

Hi everyone,
    New to the forum. I used to shoot a Savage LRPV .223 some years ago, but nothing since. I have just aquired a 114 American Classic stainless in 30.06, and wondered if you could tell me anything about it with regards to accuracy, reliability etc. Any info/advice will be appreciated. It looks great and, if it shoots as good as it looks, I will be a happy bunny!!
    Thanks in advance,
    Eastman

americanstrat98
    I have a couple of the 14's not 114's. But they are excellent firearms, with no hickups that I've heard of besides savages crappy screw construction. They are great firearms and should be more accurate than you can be. I know mine are more than I.

DOn't worry bout the barrel profile, trigger ect ect. THe way savage set the rifle up is pretty darn good. COuld probably use a little bedding work, but i've been very very satisfied with my rifle. Mine are 300wsm and 308win, both are about equal at 600yds.

good glass and a proper rail for the scope will ensure it is always accurate and tough to boot!

thomae
    It's the worst rifle in the world. You made a horrible mistake. Send it to me, along with a $100.00 disposal fee, and I'll never tell a soul you were suckered into buying it.

Merry Christmas.

Seriously, Savages have a great reputation for being accurate rifles, but you already knew that or you would not have purchased a second one. Unless yours has been abused, there is a really good chance that it will shoot as well as it looks. As with any machine, things can go wrong, but there really aren't that many moving parts on a Savage rifle. Read a lot in this forum, lurk, listen, and ask questions.

When you do ask questions, it is helpful to let the forum members know how you are planning to use the rifle. Answers to such things as what scope or what ammo to use are very different for someone shooting at long range targets, as opposed to someone hunting dangerous game at close range. The more info you can provide, the better the answers and opinions you will receive. Welcome to the club.

Eastman
    I guess I could have been a little more specific. The rifle will be used for hunting Deer/ Black Bear in New Brunswick, Canada,
    usually within 100 yards, but with a posibility of a longer shot. I have Leupold bases & rings for it, and my scope is a Leupold VX 11 4-12x40 A/O. All are stainless I normally shoot on 5 to 7 power. I reload my ammo. Any 30.06 I have used has done best with 180 gr bullets. I have some 180 gr Ballistic tip (hunting) and some 200 gr Accubond. The accubonds were a great deal from a friend, but I wish they were 180's. I'm a bit of an accuracy freak, so I hope I can get this new rifle shooting very well.
    Thanks for the welcome, and the advice/info
    Eastman

back40
    I have a Savage 14 Classic. I have not shot it much but shooting propped up on my truck tailgate it got .85 moa average groups. I'm sure if I steadied up the gun with bags it would easily be scary accurate. I have had no issues with my gun. love mine. One thing I did do was go from a 2 pc. base to a Weaver 1 pc. tactical rail and it shot much tighter groups. Let us know how she shoots. I am shooting Federal BTSP 165 gr. bullets in mine.
    Last edited by back40; 12-02-2012 at 11:19 PM.

Roger SS
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastman View Post
    Hi everyone,
    New to the forum. I used to shoot a Savage LRPV .223 some years ago, but nothing since. I have just aquired a 114 American Classic stainless in 30.06, and wondered if you could tell me anything about it with regards to accuracy, reliability etc. Any info/advice will be appreciated. It looks great and, if it shoots as good as it looks, I will be a happy bunny!!
    Thanks in advance,
    Eastman
    I just ordered one in 7mm-08. Can't wait to find out.

back40
    The 7mm.08 is a great caliber. So is the 30.06. I got a 3.08. All 3 are great deer cartridges.

Roger SS
    Quote Originally Posted by back40 View Post
    The 7mm.08 is a great caliber. So is the 30.06. I got a 3.08. All 3 are great deer cartridges.
    Not to mention wild boar.

Eastman
    It sounds to me like I may have chosen a winner! Thanks for the replies. Would this rifle handle 200 gr bullets? I like 180's, but have some 200 gr Accubonds.
    Also, I plan to use Leuopold bases & rings, with a VX11 scope.....any oppinions? Thanks.

Roger SS
    It sounds to me like I may have chosen a winner! Thanks for the replies. Would this rifle handle 200 gr bullets? I like 180's, but have some 200 gr Accubonds.
    Also, I plan to use Leuopold bases & rings, with a VX11 scope.....any oppinions? Thanks.
    Are those Leupold bases and rings aluminum? I was considering getting a steel Picatinny rail and steel Warne Maxima 1'' fixed rings.
    What do you think?

Eastman
    The one piece Leupold base & rings I have now are steel, I have some more on the way from the Guy who sold me the Savage, but not sure what they are. Wouldn't mind a picatinny rail though. I would think your rail & rings will be just great.

rattfink
    Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    It's the worst rifle in the world. You made a horrible mistake. Send it to me, along with a $100.00 disposal fee, and I'll never tell a soul you were suckered into buying it.
    This man is trolling and trying to take advantage of you.

........I will waive the $100 fee.

Roger SS
    The one piece Leupold base & rings I have now are steel, I have some more on the way from the Guy who sold me the Savage, but not sure what they are. Wouldn't mind a picatinny rail though. I would think your rail & rings will be just great.
    Nice. Another believer in steel rings and bases.

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by rattfink View Post
    This man is trolling and trying to take advantage of you.

........I will waive the $100 fee.
    Curses! foiled again!

Check the twist. If it is 1:10 (as I believe most of them are), you should be able to handle those 200 grain accubonds.

Eastman
    thomae & rattfink, very funny!! This is a great forum!!! I do believe it has a 1:10 twist. I am wondering about the scope also. I will be shooting within 100 yards for the most part, and my VX11 is 4-12x40. I have a B&L 2.5-10x40 (4000 elite) but it isn't as good as the leupold. I usually find I'm on 5 to 7 power, so maybe I'll be ok with the Leupy Any thoughts?

thomae
    My thoughts on a scope for the ranges you mentioned in a previous post would hinge upon the details of your hunting environment. You mentioned that shots over 100 yards are unlikely, but didn't say whether or not you are hunting in woods, over a small field, from the ground, or from a stand. I would take all that into consideration when choosing a scope.

For shots up to 100 yards in an area with a lot of trees and brush, I would want a lower power scope, especially if ground hunting. You likely won't have much time to take a shot, and you need to be able to "find" the deer or bear in your scope quickly. I lost a nice buck once because my scope was set too high, and the deer appeared way closer than I thought it would.

On the other hand if you are shooting 100 yards across a field, you could use more magnification if you wanted to because you have more time to sight your target through the scope. If it were me, I'd go with a lower power scope. I think the 2.5x10 or a 3x9 would be ideal. 4 power as your minimum probably isn't too much, but it would be harder to acquire a deer or bear moving through the woods at 4 power than at 2.5 power.

Obviously light transmission plays a part, and not having either of those scopes you mentioned, I can't comment on what capability you might lose during the low light periods of dusk and dawn with one scope versus the other.

Did you actually compare the two scopes at their lowest magnifications in low light? (Frankly, during the day, especially at 100 yards, I don't think (personal opinion) any difference in light transmission between the two scopes you mentioned will affect your hunting success. They both have good reputations as quality glass.)

I hope this is helpful.

Basic Member
    Hi everyone,
    I have just aquired a 114 American Classic stainless in 30.06, and wondered if you could tell me anything about it with regards to accuracy, reliability etc.
    Eastman
    I bought two ACs about 5-6 years ago(CRS!), a 14 in 7-08 and a 114 in 270, both CF hinged mag models. I put a 243 barrel on the 14 for my oldest grandson's first goat rifle. For this season I put the original unfired '08 barrel back on.

Other than swapping barrels and setting the trigger WOP its "AS-IS" out of the box. The only minor issue, the stock was inletted a tad deep allowing bolt head to ride on the magazine a bit. Ten minutes and a dab of JB Quick "fixed" it.

Accuracy wise with either barrel, "snot bubble" routinely shoots sub one inch groups and has collected three whitetails with it, the last a seven Saturday, all one "shoters"! ( Is that a word???)

I can't say how well the 114 shoots, its still unfired in the box.

If your AC performs as well I don't think you'll be disappointed. If you are I'll better thomae's offer, I waive the disposal fee and even split the shipping cost with ya only because I'm one heck of a nice guy!

Bill

Eastman
    I haven't compared the two scopes yet as the leupold is still in trasit to me! I have looked through this model, and it is better than the B&L for sure. And the Leupy is silver which will look very nice on the Stainless savage AC...in the stainless rings & base, I think.
    As for my shooting enviroment, I hunt from a tree stand/house in the woods, but there is a good shooting lane leading to a small clear area about 100 yards away. We are alowed to bait, so I have apples there, along with salt/minerals. I shot a deer there last year,with my scope on 5 power, and it was just fine, so I'm thinking that the Leupold should be good to go with. Having said that Thomae, what you said makes good sense, and I will compare the scopes soon, and let you know what I think. It does get "darkish" fairly quickly where I hunt in the trees, but the clearing always stays brighter, and the target is usually still.
    Once again I thank you Guys for your thoughts,advice...and humour!!
    BillPa, Is it easy to swap barrels on Savage rifles? I'm not very adept at things like that!

Roger SS
    thomae & rattfink, very funny!! This is a great forum!!! I do believe it has a 1:10 twist. I am wondering about the scope also. I will be shooting within 100 yards for the most part, and my VX11 is 4-12x40. I have a B&L 2.5-10x40 (4000 elite) but it isn't as good as the leupold. I usually find I'm on 5 to 7 power, so maybe I'll be ok with the Leupy Any thoughts?
    How's this? Since you need to get rid of that terrible rifle, I'll collect it from you and pay you a collection fee of $100.

Eastman
    Hi RogerSS, I just found out that the Base & Rings that I am waiting for from the Guy who sold me the savage, consists of two piece Leupold stainless STEEL bases, and medium STEEL rings. I was hoping it was going to be a one piece base. Do you think I will be good with these?
    John.

Roger SS
    Hi RogerSS, I just found out that the Base & Rings that I am waiting for from the Guy who sold me the savage, consists of two piece Leupold stainless STEEL bases, and medium STEEL rings. I was hoping it was going to be a one piece base. Do you think I will be good with these?
    John.
    I'd say yes. Even though I'm just a rookie here, I'm learning that 2 piece bases vs. one piece base - no discernable difference in terms of sturdiness, accuracy, etc... The fact that they're both steel is what gives you the advantage over aluminum.

fyimo
    I have a Model 14 in 308 and a Model 114 in 270 Win and I really like them both. The Model 14 and 114 I have have the stainles steel action and it's looks great with the walnut oil finished stocks. The Model 14 in 308 is slightly more accurate then the Model 114 in 270 Win with the reloads I'm shooting so I need to work up a couple of different loads for the 270 to see if I can thighten up the groups a little although they are just slightly over 1 inch at a 100 yards now with the 270 and the 308 is sub 1 inch at 100 yards. I think Savage hit a huge home run with these rifles as the trigger is great and they shoot great and look awesome if you like walnut stocks.

Roger SS
    Quote Originally Posted by fyimo View Post
    I have a Model 14 in 308 and a Model 114 in 270 Win and I really like them both. The Model 14 and 114 I have have the stainles steel action and it's looks great with the walnut oil finished stocks. The Model 14 in 308 is slightly more accurate then the Model 114 in 270 Win with the reloads I'm shooting so I need to work up a couple of different loads for the 270 to see if I can thighten up the groups a little although they are just slightly over 1 inch at a 100 yards now with the 270 and the 308 is sub 1 inch at 100 yards. I think Savage hit a huge home run with these rifles as the trigger is great and they shoot great and look awesome if you like walnut stocks.
    I've hearing about the accuracy advantages of a wood stock. And there's just something about the looks. Classic, classy, traditional, beautiful.

velvetguru
    I have a Savage 114 European Classic in 30-06 (same as the American but with sights) I can stay under an inch with some of my 200gr. handloads, same thing with the 180 grain bullets. I have one 200 gr. handload that will shoot 3/4 of an inch. These are very accurate rifles.

Joe

Eastman
    Hi Joe,
    Interesting to hear you load with 200 gr bullets. I have some 200 gr Accubonds, and was wondering about them. What powder are you using? I have some H4350, and 4895. Any tips? I use Winchester brass...nicol plated, & Win primers. Does the European classic have a monte carlo stock? (Not sure that's spelt correctly! ) I'm well pleased with the looks of this rifle, and hope it shoots good. John
    Last edited by Eastman; 12-08-2012 at 09:20 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast