Thread: Darkeagle Custom magazines... who has them?

Basic Member

Darkeagle Custom magazines... who has them?

I found a website for a company (Darkeagle Custom) that makes aftermarket detachable magazines for Savage rifles (10 rounds .308). The mags are sold out and he is making more. I thought it was very likely that someone who has purchased one is on this forum and I was hoping they could comment on how it's working out for them (fit, reliability, quality, etc). I haven't been able to find a singe review on this forum or anywhere else.

I thought this would be the place to post it since it would work in 110 based Savage rifles with the DBM.

tyler.woodard04

Re: Darkeagle Custom magazines... who has them?

While I have no experiance with them. A very good friend and machinest knows and shoots with him. From what I ubderstand he is very particular and demands perfection. I would not hesitate purchasing or having him do work on my stuff.

stangfish

Axeman on snipers hide thinks they are great quality.

Basic Member

I think I will have to pick one up to try out. It seems like a more inexpensive alternative than picking up a different bottom metal and using AI mags. I'll post a review when I get one. Who knows how long that will be seeing as there is a waiting list.

Thanks for the replies.

ID Tactical

I purchased a Darkeagle magazine last month and will buy 2 more this week. Great magazine and it functions flawlessly in my 260 LRP. My experience is you don't need the extended mag release.

Darkeagle products are GTG...

IDT

TotalNoob
    I'm just about to send out my FLCP-K bolt to him to have it fluted and a tactical knob installed. Also getting one of the 10 round magazines. Dan at Darkeagle has been a pleasure to communicate with, very prompt with replies and very patient with a complete noob like me (he prefers e-mail to calls).

I'm a researcher, OCD about it to tell you the truth; Darkeagle came highly recommended and much lauded with everyone I found who has used Darkeagle. His prices seem to be extremely fair compared to what's out there and his turnaround time is usually just a couple of days. Enough typing, going to post office to get box and send out. . . .

Ninedv
    I have a Darkeagle custom mag for my 6.5 CM and it does work as well as others have said. Dan was great to work with on the purchase. It chambers both 6.5 and 308 equally as well. It is nice to be able to use the mag on two different guns.

Basic Member
    It looks about the same as the sharp shooter mag. Price is the same for a single.
    16-223, 10 223, 10 FCP 308, 111 30-06, 110 30-06, 111 6.5x55, 112 338-06/6mm Rem, 110 300 WinMag,

Mine won't hold 10 rounds (6.5 CM) reliably. Feed lips spewed rounds on me during a tac match. Pitched the dang thing as far as I could at the time; unfortunately some well-meaning soul brought it back to me later. I since converted that gun to AI bottom metal, so problem solved. Debating whether I want to tempt trouble again using it on my 10PC-SR (which can't be as easily converted).

82boy
    Well it looks like a total ripoff of the Sharp Shooters Supply design magazine, and at the same price. There is something that does worry me about this magazine he list it as having a "Custom made coiled spring" this is where a lot of people get into trouble. If the spring is not made form the correct wire, it will take a set, and cause many problems. The other concern is that it may not work properly to begin with, this may be the wrong type of spring to work in this application.
    http://www.darkeaglecustom.com/products.shtml

sortafast
    Quote Originally Posted by 82boy View Post
    Well it looks like a total ripoff of the Sharp Shooters Supply design magazine, and at the same price. There is something that does worry me about this magazine he list it as having a "Custom made coiled spring" this is where a lot of people get into trouble. If the spring is not made form the correct wire, it will take a set, and cause many problems. The other concern is that it may not work properly to begin with, this may be the wrong type of spring to work in this application.
    http://www.darkeaglecustom.com/products.shtml
    I wouldn't worry too much about the custom spring thing. I have worked with a company that had "custom" springs made. If you use a good spring maker/vendor, which we did, there will be no issues. If they were made in a shop on a lathe then tempered in the kitchen oven, then I would have cause for concern (its really not hard to do it this way, but far from ideal).

82boy
    Quote Originally Posted by sortafast View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much about the custom spring thing. I have worked with a company that had "custom" springs made. If you use a good spring maker/vendor, which we did, there will be no issues.
    Unfortinaly I am talking about so called spring makers. I have seen mass produced springs that was sold by one of the top wholesale industy sellers that was used in a firearm, and they took a set because they was not made with the right type of wire.

bailagent100
    Allow me to suggest you check out (google) the Ratmag made by z71rat over at the hide. About the same price & excellent work, also.

I have a ratmag for my 10 FLCP-K...a 10 rounder. Believe he makes 'em in 12, 15 and 17 round capacities, too.

Uses existing (factory) bottom metal & a factory Axis/Edge mag (you provide) that is then grafted to one of several types of mil-surp mags depending on your long or short action rifle.

I'm currently waiting on CTD to send another Axis/Edge mag which I'll forward to z71rat to convert for me so that I'll have a couple 10 rounders for my Savage. The first one works so well, I decided I needed another one.

14. 11-25-2012, 09:42 PM
    Reason
    Pissing contest

15. 11-26-2012, 12:10 AM
    Reason
    Pissing contest

16. 11-26-2012, 02:45 AM
    Reason
    Pissing contest

17. 11-26-2012, 12:31 PM
    Reason
    Pissing contest

I'd Just like to add that Dan at DarkEagle Custom is a great guy and does excellent work. I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of his products as I have seen his work and seen the results on paper. If you had a problem or issue with his products he would make it right.

Regards.
    Dan