Thread: What do I have and what can I get for it

rtognazz

What do I have and what can I get for it

My great grandfather passed away over 20 years ago and I have had this gun he gave me sitting in the back of my closet sense then, minus the one time I fired a full magazine (about 5 rounds I think) through it. It fired very well.
    What I have found out so far is that it is a Savage model 1899 takedown in 30-30 and it is well warn. The old man use to strap it to his horse or throw it in the ranch truck whenever he went anywhere. I don't know if this adds value or takes it away. The serial number is 706XX. I forgot to measure the barrel length before a put it back up. If the length is absolutely needed to determine what this gun is I can get it back out.
    I have seen the model 1899's going for anywhere between $400 to $4,000 and before I decide to sell/trade I'd like to get a feel for its value.
    http://s1087.photobucket.com/albums/j473/rtognazz/
    Thanks for any help you can provide.

Re: What do I have and what can I get for it

photos to small to see anything!
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

rtognazz

It's too small even if you click the photo???

rtognazz

To view larger pictures in link above, double click image. Sorry about them all being upside-down. Photobucket won't let me rotate.

Eric in NC

Well used TD gun - I would say $350-400 if the bore is in good shape and no bad cracks in the wood.

However - my kids would have to be pretty dang hungry for me to sell a gun my great grandfather gave me! Your gun and you can do what you want but think long and hard on it - been in the family a long time and sounds like he intended to pass it to you.

Basic Member

Times 2 EricNC, I have guns I gave to my Grandson and I told him if he ever sells them I will come back and Haunt him. Ofcourse when I bite the bullet he may very well sell them. His decision. I am sure he won't sell them while I am a live. Lou
    A great civilization is not conqured from without,until it has destroyed itself from within. In God We Trust

rtognazz

Thank you for the information thus far. Any idea what letter model it is and what condition grade you would give it. I was surprised it wasn't worth a little more.
    Thanks as well for the recommendation on keeping it, but you don't need to tell me about sentiment. I know your hart is in the right spot. Please rest assured that if I do ultimately trade or sell it will be a well thought out decision.

It almost looks like it has an octagon barrel or half round half octagon.Is the bore shiny or rusty. Your gun was made between 1906 and 1907 depending on the next 2 numbers in the serial number. How much bluing would you say is left in a percentage? This will help determine what it is truly worth.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

rtognazz

The bore is nice and shinny but there is virtually no blueing left on the gun (<20%). The last two serial numbers are 54 and the barrel is definitely round and not octagonal. Thanks again for all the help with identifying this gun. It is exciting to learn a little bit of it's history.

Bad Water Bill

You MIGHT be able to get some more if you took the time to trace this wonderful old lady's history. Date mfgd, shipped to, date purchased by and a brief history of what ever you remember your great grand father telling you.

Personally this administration has NOT printed enough money yet to get me to part with that piece of my family history.

Yes I have my grandfathers 1894 Winchester Rifle (38 55) that he used when in the Texas Rangers and a cousins Savage 99 in 22 Hi Power take down.

Grandpa's has his blood stains on the stock and the Savage has several stories I could tell but both will be passed on to my son when I pass on. Both are fun to shoot and I cast the boolits and re load for both.

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.