Thread: Brass Cleaning?

Basic Member

Brass Cleaning?

Whats your routine? What about the primer pocket? Do you clean before ever loading?

Thanks

airaddict

Re: Brass Cleaning?

i go about it this way.

tumble clean brass for about an hour once i get back from the range, deprime/resize or necksize, tumble clean again for no less than 2 1/2 hrs (really closer to 3-3 1/2 hrs) to really shine and get media in case and primer pocket. once i reprime them i may hit them with the primer pocket cleaner tool to knock out heavy carbon but usually the long stint in the media does the job for me.

brian

Grit #1

I use Iosso case cleaner. Dip, dry and load. al the BS out of case cleaning.
    Best regards,
    Grit

SMK Shoe

Quote Originally Posted by airaddict
    i go about it this way.

tumble clean brass for about an hour once i get back from the range, deprime/resize or necksize, tumble clean again for no less than 2 1/2 hrs (really closer to 3-3 1/2 hrs) to really shine and get media in case and primer pocket. once i reprime them i may hit them with the primer pocket cleaner tool to knock out heavy carbon but usually the long stint in the media does the job for me.

brian
    +1
    First thing I do when I return from the range is all brass goes into the tumbler. After packing everything into the shed and cleaning guns, then I will size, deprime all casing's and back into the tumbler. I'll then look over targets, make notes, plan next shooting day and decide if ammo loads need to be changed or modified. After about 2 hours for the second tumble, all brass get sorted and put back into the storage boxs. I try to store all my brass cleaned, sized, deprimed and any additional case prep done. That way if I need to load, it's ready to go. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by SMK Shoe
    Quote Originally Posted by airaddict
    i go about it this way.

brian
    +1
    First thing I do when I return from the range is all brass goes into the tumbler. After packing everything into the shed and cleaning guns, then I will size, deprime all casing's and back into the tumbler. I'll then look over targets, make notes, plan next shooting day and decide if ammo loads need to be changed or modified. After about 2 hours for the second tumble, all brass get sorted and put back into the storage boxs. I try to store all my brass cleaned, sized, deprimed and any additional case prep done. That way if I need to load, it's ready to go. ;D
    +2, I'm retired and have plenty of time to shoot and reload.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member

Thanks guys. Anyone use a Cabelas tumbler? Opinions?

Basic Member

I have one and love it. Pretty sure its made by Berry

Decap brass and size (tumble first if very dirty), I clean primer pockets with a RCBS wire cleaner, tumble and their ready to go!

Primer pockets are always the worst!
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

btm_54

I used to, meow not so much. Untill my brass starts looking really shabby, I don't clean. I do use a lee primer pocket cleaner every load.
    I only neck size, so no lube. I didn't see a velocity, or ES difference in my 1K loads.... So if I don't need to clean, I don't.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

RCBS primer pocket uniformer on the RCBS trim mate case prep center makes cleaning crusty primer pockets a breeze. A dab of Flitz metal polish on a rag will shine brass like nothing else. Not sure if it's safe for cartridge brass, though, but I've used it a lot and still have all my fingers. I sent an e- mail to Flitz asking about this and never got a response. Will shine the hell outta a piece of brass, though. Gotta be a pretty strong reaction going on there to get that much shine that quickly.

Basic Member

Deprime, toss in tumbler for 2hrs, remove & load up. I do not scrub out my primer pockets at all for my p-dog guns.

Eric in NC

Everyone knows clean brass shoots better!

Basic Member

i run mine thru the tumbler for 3-5hrs the bag until i get around to them again i do mine alittle different i clean and bag a bunch them deprime,trim,clean primer pockets thenput them back in a bag until i need them.i always have a few hundred primed and bag ready for powder so when i get low i start repriming again nothing for me to reprime 200-300 pcs of brass at 1 sitting.